2019 Recruits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CheelFaithful92 View Post
    So we figure on losing Sturm, Quince, Juho, and i would not be surprised to see Egle or Dunne leave... we will have Tsekos ready to roll next year, how can we bring in so many forwards??? If Egle and Dunne return, there will be 2 slots to fill... I would have to think Campbell gets put off seeing how he is 17 and weighs 148 pounds...

i know Robert is a local kid, but i really don't see him as an asset to this team...
    I'd like to see a forward to take some of MacLean's ice time if he doesn't get much better over the summer.

Comment

• [QUOTE=CheelFaithful92;n64132
      i know Robert is a local kid, but i really don't see him as an asset to this team...[/QUOTE]

What is your basis for this? Are you just looking at Data/Stats?

Comment

• Originally posted by ndlax View Post

What is your basis for this? Are you just looking at Data/Stats?
        I should have chose my words differently. In my opinion, I think he will struggle to make an impact. He is probably the 4th-5th best forward on a struggling team in the BCHL. Those i talk to say he is a grinder and will likely spend some time in the box (we already have one of those, he's #15). Some guys excel from the BCHL, while we have seen many others struggle to keep up out of the BCHL until their sophomore year, or later.

Hopefully he can find his niche here and fight for ice time. Its been a while since we had a local, Jake Morley maybe.

Comment

I should have chose my words differently. In my opinion, I think he will struggle to make an impact. He is probably the 4th-5th best forward on a struggling team in the BCHL. Those i talk to say he is a grinder and will likely spend some time in the box (we already have one of those, he's #15). Some guys excel from the BCHL, while we have seen many others struggle to keep up out of the BCHL until their sophomore year, or later.

Hopefully he can find his niche here and fight for ice time. Its been a while since we had a local, Jake Morley maybe.
          Comparing him to 15 is like comparing Potsdam NY to Paris France. He will not show up on the box score, but he will do the little things right. A shut down forward, that will block the shot then put the kid through the glass at the other end when they go for the puck. He is more of a Nic P than at 15. A third fourth line guy, that will grind it out. These are the types that many over look, but quality teams have these types of player.

Box score stats are over rated.

Comment

• Originally posted by ndlax View Post

Comparing him to 15 is like comparing Potsdam NY to Paris France. He will not show up on the box score, but he will do the little things right. A shut down forward, that will block the shot then put the kid through the glass at the other end when they go for the puck. He is more of a Nic P than at 15. A third fourth line guy, that will grind it out. These are the types that many over look, but quality teams have these types of player.

Box score stats are over rated.
            I don't get your comparing him to 15/Potsdam to Paris reference.. #15 MacLean does not show up on the score sheet either, he is a grinder more then anything and a penalty taker, which is why i made the comparison.

He is no Nic Pierog.. Pierog was 6'1 215 pounds. Jeff Genovy was another that comes to mind as he literally put a guy through the glass at Cheel, he was an exceptionally hard hitter, except Genovy was about a 50 point guy in the USHL and 6'1 208lb. #15 MacLean is 6'1, 210 pounds.. Im not sure Robert will be putting anyone through the glass at 5'11 and 175 pounds. I agree he is a grinder, as i mentioned. He fill find his niche being a hound dog, a forechecker, blocking shots, and sitting in the box... he has played 117 games in the BCHL and has 119 pim.
            Last edited by CheelFaithful92; 02-25-2019, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I don't get your comparing him to 15/Potsdam to Paris reference.. #15 MacLean does not show up on the score sheet either, he is a grinder more then anything and a penalty taker, which is why i made the comparison.

He is no Nic Pierog.. Pierog was 6'1 215 pounds. Jeff Genovy was another that comes to mind as he literally put a guy through the glass at Cheel, he was an exceptionally hard hitter, except Genovy was about a 50 point guy in the USHL and 6'1 208lb. #15 MacLean is 6'1, 210 pounds.. Im not sure Robert will be putting anyone through the glass at 5'11 and 175 pounds. I agree he is a grinder, as i mentioned. He fill find his niche being a hound dog, a forechecker, blocking shots, and sitting in the box... he has played 117 games in the BCHL and has 119 pim.
              You guys are both actually describing the same type of player and I feel like, sight unseen, he could be someone who fills a void. First of all, 119 PIM in 117 games is not a huge number. Chris Clark had over 100 PIM more than once in a 40-ish game season at Clarkson (though there are unconfirmed reports he took a 10 minute misconduct one year just to get over 100). If he has strong legs and can grind and forecheck, that would fill a huge void on this roster. Having a 4th line guy who can, when advancing the puck out of our zone, can put some pressure on the defense and allow our top lines to get on the ice with the puck in our offensive zone is something we don't really have on this team. If he can forecheck, having a 3rd/4th line guy who can work our PK is invaluable. Any time you can get a lower line guy on your PK, it allows your scorers to rest. We haven't had a guy that can consistently bury the puck in our offensive zone on the PK since Pierog graduated. The 175# will have to increase on a 5'11" frame, but we've had many 5'9" guys that were great on our PK.

Comment

• Originally posted by FireKnight View Post

You guys are both actually describing the same type of player and I feel like, sight unseen, he could be someone who fills a void. First of all, 119 PIM in 117 games is not a huge number. Chris Clark had over 100 PIM more than once in a 40-ish game season at Clarkson (though there are unconfirmed reports he took a 10 minute misconduct one year just to get over 100). If he has strong legs and can grind and forecheck, that would fill a huge void on this roster. Having a 4th line guy who can, when advancing the puck out of our zone, can put some pressure on the defense and allow our top lines to get on the ice with the puck in our offensive zone is something we don't really have on this team. If he can forecheck, having a 3rd/4th line guy who can work our PK is invaluable. Any time you can get a lower line guy on your PK, it allows your scorers to rest. We haven't had a guy that can consistently bury the puck in our offensive zone on the PK since Pierog graduated. The 175# will have to increase on a 5'11" frame, but we've had many 5'9" guys that were great on our PK.
                Chris Clark was also a 130 point guy at Clarkson while spending all that time in the bin, and was a dynamic 2-way weapon that never scored less then double-digit goals a season in his career here, including a 23 goal campaign... I don't really care for that comparison. But point taken on the penalty minutes at about 1 per game not being too big a deal.

I hope the kid does great, he is going to be a crowd favorite probably, his family are all Clarkson hockey fans and I know many of them. Hopefully he can grind hard, hound pucks, skate well, and put on some size.

Comment

• Originally posted by FireKnight View Post

spot on! With why CU needs this type of player profile. Doesn't show up in Box score, but his work will allow others to do there job.
                  BTW my Pierog comparison was in style not size.

Comment

• Oldham will be competing at the Winter World University Games March 1-9 so I'll be interested in how he plays in that, the competition shouldn't be that strong but it will be good to get some game time in. If Kielly and Sturm feel they have a shot to make a career with professional hockey then they need to try and make that jump. Worst case scenario would be Dunne, Egle, Kielly Sturm all leave and while we wouldn't be very competitive next season we would still be able to bring in Campbell early and give time for the younger players to develop.

I see it like this:

Brosseau - Dunne - Egle
                    Jacome - Cooper - Tsekos
                    Klack - Campoli - Gosselin/Romano
                    Tisdale - Gosselin/Romano/Silye - Charyszyn (he needs a big offseason)
                    Collins - Robert - MacLean

Schneider - Moro
                    Hurley - Underwood
                    Astren - McCarthy
                    Kuzmeski as 7th
                    McFaul - Ginnetti

That's a solid group that will need to see individuals have big summers in order to fill the Sturm void but overall I see a lot more depth on this team.

The one thing that concerns me with Robert is that he has had a lot of injuries in his junior career and in order to be effective at what he does he's going to have to get used to the pace of college hockey. He's a very strong kid let's just hope the injuries didn't hurt him, I see him more as an upperclassmen role guy.

Comment

• Campbell ended up winning the BCHL Rookie of the Year today - https://bchl.ca/trophy-time-bchl-award-winners

The BCHL Playoffs are about to start there bracket is here - https://bchl.ca/stats/playoffs/38

Campbell will take on Alberni Valley, Gosselin will take on Trail, Silye and Robert get a first round matchup with Penticton taking on Cowichan Valley in round 1.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/russbites/status...55412959174656

Dman Matt Staudacher 00 (Muskegon) now committed to Minnesota. MI native & fmr Shattuck product originally verbally committed to Clarkson. Good size LHD, with good defensive awareness, shutdown style, solid outlets.

Comment

• Perfect for the dump and chase, 3 yards and a cloud of dust most of the Big Ten prefers..

Comment

• Neutral Zone now has Clarkson rated as the #2 class behind Colgate as they now have Veillette coming in with the recruiting class of 2019 along with McQuigge.
                            Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                            If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post
                              Neutral Zone now has Clarkson rated as the #2 class behind Colgate as they now have Veillette coming in with the recruiting class of 2019 along with McQuigge.
                              That's great for ththe school, and for ECAC..

Any insight on the men's incoming class?? I can see the top 10, but since I'm not a member I can't see any further..

Comment

That's great for ththe school, and for ECAC..

Any insight on the men's incoming class?? I can see the top 10, but since I'm not a member I can't see any further..
                                I am not a member either so not sure about the men.
                                Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                                If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Working...
                                X