2017-2018 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FireKnight View Post

You're a season ticket holder but I've never seen you post anything here other than to defend the coaches or to insult me. Frankly, I find it discouraging that you can't even write up a constructive reply on most days. In any event, congratulations for living close to Potsdam so you can see every home game.

Unfortunately, I have left the North Country and I can't be at every home game live. However, there has not been a season since 1991-92 that I haven't seen at least 10 live Clarkson hockey games. I go to one home weekend each semester and I go to RPI/Union, Quinnipiac/Princeton, and Yale on the road every year. I've followed the team to SLU, Vermont, Dartmouth, UNH, BC, BU, Cornell, Colgate, Canisius, Brown, and Michigan State on the road. I have traveled for many ECAC Quarterfinal series and have not missed an ECAC Semi/Final at LP or Albany involving Clarkson since 1992. I have also been to every Clarkson NCAA game since 1992. So, just because you have season tickets, I really don't think you have any more authority to say anything about our team than I do. Unfortunately, due to my work schedule, this will be the first season I haven't seen 10 live games since 91-92 (although I could still reach that 10 if they make it to Minnesota).

Anyone who watches any sport can tell you that the better team on paper doesn't always win. It's even more tenuous when it's a single elimination situation. However, when you have a 2 out of 3 scenario, the better team should win 80% of the time, especially when that team is so much better on paper, it doesn't even compare. Even Adam Wodon this week said that the ECAC quarterfinal series could all be competitive, even the 1/9 series, but Clarkson's talent is at so much higher a level, he couldn't imagine them losing to Colgate. If we lose today, combined with the second half performance, there would be no justification to keep Casey. The Merrimack firing is a perfect example. Their coach rebuilt that program and made them significant/competitive again, but sooner or later, that's not enough.

For a coaching staff to be competitive in college hockey, a few things are needed. The first is recruiting and Josh has been an excellent pick up as a recruiter. People often discount the effect Greg had on both the Morris and successful Roll teams but when you look at the staff without him, it was a pretty significant drop until Josh came along. The second is team development. That means the team has to get better from game 1 to game 30-something. This is a huge responsibility of the entire coaching staff, but the puck stops directly on the head coach. Casey has failed time and time again to get team improvement from October to March and from year 1 to year 4 of players' careers. The third is in-game management. This again is a responsibility of the head coach (and yes, the assistants have responsibilities, but again, the buck stops with the head coach). Morris and Roll were both excellent in-game managers. Given this team's talent, either one of them would have had this team atop the standings with the #1 seed in the ECAC. Casey's style doesn't cut it with talented players, although he admittedly has let loose some this year (which one could argue was because he finally had the talent or because the talent finally forced him to change).

A lot of times in coaching, there are builders and there are winners. Buck Showalter is an excellent builder but he's not a winner, which is exactly why the Yankees got him and then let him go after 1995. John Tortorella is an example from hockey circles (although he does have 1 cup). If the goal was to be "pretty good" then I'd have no problem keeping Casey around to see what he can do. However, that is not our stated goal, which came directly from the President ... bring a national championship to Potsdam. Casey's history of 2nd half failure does not show me that he's the man to do that. Even with that said, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to get rid of him because of the quality of player he has coming. However, if this team comes out flat tonight, I'm not sure they'll have any choice but to move on.
    Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
    I'm ignoring ndlax because he's a pompous ass.

DILLY DILLY.....HMM doesn't look like you were ignoring me.
    enjoy LP! and

Comment

• Originally posted by ndlax View Post

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
      I'm ignoring ndlax because he's a pompous ass.

DILLY DILLY.....HMM doesn't look like you were ignoring me.
      enjoy LP! and
      Both of you need to cut it out. I get bickering when things aren't going well, but the two of you taking potshots at each other is detracting from this forum. The name-calling and taunting doesn't look good on either of you. Please stop.

Comment

• Besides taking care of business against Harvard, I think the other two games to watch on Friday are the Hockey East semis with pairwise #18 BU playing #15 BC (one of those two will be playing in the HE finals), and #14 North Dakota vs. #1 St Cloud in the NCHC semis. I'm guessing if UND loses (and can't take an AQ spot), that puts us in no matter what happens against Harvard. Or maybe I should just look at the scenarios that cutothefrozen4 did!

Comment

• Originally posted by dave techer View Post
          Besides taking care of business against Harvard, I think the other two games to watch on Friday are the Hockey East semis with pairwise #18 BU playing #15 BC (one of those two will be playing in the HE finals), and #14 North Dakota vs. #1 St Cloud in the NCHC semis. I'm guessing if UND loses (and can't take an AQ spot), that puts us in no matter what happens against Harvard. Or maybe I should just look at the scenarios that cutothefrozen4 did!
          Why don't we quit worrying about losing to Hahvad and start getting some confidence that Kielly17 will be in the nets and Clarkson17 offense and defense will be hitting on all cylinders and we send Hahvad packing back to Cambridge.
          Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
          If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

• Just win baby.
            If I don't see you in the future, I'll see you in the pasture.

Comment

• *blows the whistle* Both of you please take it to PMs.
              Clarkson '00 (MIS) * WCKN * letsgotech.com

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post

Why don't we quit worrying about losing to Hahvad and start getting some confidence that Kielly17 will be in the nets and Clarkson17 offense and defense will be hitting on all cylinders and we send Hahvad packing back to Cambridge.
                Kind of outlandish to support the team
                2013 Pick to Click Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post

The analysis is simple if we beat Harvard: we're in the NCAA Tournament for the first time in a decade at a spot somewhere between 8 and 12. There's more to analyze if we lose. We enumerated the possibilities for the women and their NCAA tournament based on their winning or losing in their ECAC Tournament. Hardly think we lack confidence in them.

If Clarkson17 remains after the last two games of the Colgate series, the Whitelaw Cup will be coming to Potsdam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brett Gobe View Post
                    Just win baby.
                    What he said!!!!
                    Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                    If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

• The ECAC just announced that the semis and finals will be on Boxcast ($9.95) and the 11Sports Network.

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2017-1..._TV_and_Stream

Comment

The ECAC just announced that the semis and finals will be on Boxcast ($9.95) and the 11Sports Network.

Seems they do have TV Coverage on some premium cable network that I don't get at home or at school. I guess the ECAC will be getting another Hamilton (hopefully two) from me.

At least I get BTN here at school for the Women's Frozen Four.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hydra88 View Post
                          [LEFT][COLOR=#252C2F][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=13px]

At least I get BTN here at school for the Women's Frozen Four.
                          Hey, ESPN likes to show those Southwest Idaho State vs. Spokane U basketball games out here in the east instead of a frozen four! Brilliant!

As for the 'gate final game, the team played very well. I was VERY surprised that the 2nd and 5th goals were allowed to stand because Charysyn had to be off-sides to receive that pass (go watch it in slow-mo) though the great camera team didn't capture any portion of him...and Gareau roughed a guy on the boards 5 seconds before Tyko's shot which was a penalty (again, go look at that in slow-mo). We better NOT do that in L.P. or in the NCAAs because we've had the one game where the officials let things slide in our favor. Discipline, crisp passing and attacking will lead this team to winning.

Comment

The ECAC just announced that the semis and finals will be on Boxcast ($9.95) and the 11Sports Network.

Hopefully the video will be worthy of the $9.95 price tag. The Atlantic Hockey tourney games from Rochester cost $12 each!

Comment

• Originally posted by Remember Walker View Post

Hey, ESPN likes to show those Southwest Idaho State vs. Spokane U basketball games out here in the east instead of a frozen four! Brilliant!
                              They don't show the Frozen Four in the east? I would think it would be harder to get the games in the west where there are fewer teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hydra88 View Post

They don't show the Frozen Four in the east? I would think it would be harder to get the games in the west where there are fewer teams.
                                When it comes to the Mens Frozen Four, ESPN has broadcast all 3 games live for as long as I can remember.

Vicb

Comment

Working...
                                X