2018-2019 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ndlax View Post
    Anyone can summarize what happen after the game ended? MT coach got game misconduct. ???
    MTU coach wanted refs to call a too many men on ice penalty (our nemesis). He talks about it at the end of the interview.
    http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...81116-vitgdphd

Comment

• Tech wins another 3-1 over Michigan Tech with an open net goal near the end. Good effort by the Golden Knights.

Comment

• Defense was great all weekend, active sticks and great gap control. There were a few lapses and when that happened Kielly was there and he had a lot of clutch saves with both games being tight. Moro continues to gain confidence with the puck and is really stepping up huge with some much needed offensive production from the blueline, transitioning the puck 5x5 they are still growing along with Moro but just how active he's been has been impressive to me, he keeps a lot of plays alive with great effort and that's something he always does and will continue to do. Astren continued to play with more composure and seems to have learned his lesson from the Union game. Schneider really has impressed me as of late and you can tell he had a great summer, he's getting consistent time which is helping him truly adjust to the pace of play and he's always shown the ability to be a great penalty killer and is tough to play against which really came to be important this weekend with all the penalties. Thow was great both games and we are going to need him to be going forward especially for the stretch run, McCarthy and Underwood were also solid but with limited game experience there are going to be shaky moments but overall they've been solid as of late. I don't know if just running consistent pairings with the 6 defensemen was better for the guys and it just helps them gain familiarity with their partner but whatever it was it worked because Michigan Tech can really score goals. I would say when fully healthy Hurley should be getting back in there but it will be interesting if they go with 6 or 7.

Still are going to need to produce more goals and especially can't have the powerplay looking like the did at times over the weekend but the effort was there for majority of those games. Having Dunne down the middle and at 100% is going to be great for our depth as well especially with Cooper showing he can impact the game at center as well, we are going to need secondary production from Campoli, Charyszyn, Cooper, Dunne, Jokiharju, Klack, Quince, Tisdale in order to be a good team, especially on the road. I liked the idea of going back to Brosseau - Sturm - Egle, they really make teams work to get out of their zone and keep a lot of plays alive that lead to good scoring chances, those 4 along with Jacome you know what you're going to get from on most nights and if they are winning 50/50 battles it usually results in a point or two most nights. Charyszyn and Thow were those guys on Friday making nice plays leading to the Jacome goal and Jokiahrju, Moro, Quince were those guys on Saturday. If that keeps up and Jake is on his game it's going to be tough for anyone to beat us at home, hopefully we can build upon these wins and beat SLU on the big ice in Placid away from Cheel where we definitely have the talent edge but we all know how these games can go.

Comment

• Thanks cu for the analysis of the weekend's games. Really missed seeing Dunne out there, and Hurley needs ice time and experience, hope they get healthy soon. What can we do about getting beaten so badly on faceoffs?

Comment

• I usually root for SLU when not playing Tech. But if that is the CRAP they are going to do.....NO WAY. GOON hockey doesn't belong in 2018. When these two play in a few weeks, I'm hoping no one gets hurt. Its going to be U G L Y.

Comment

• Well that was nice win......kinda sad that no one noticed the SLU hack on our box score....however they cant hack the score board.
              2013 Pick to Click Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew View Post
                Well that was nice win......kinda sad that no one noticed the SLU hack on our box score....however they cant hack the score board.
                I let Gary Mikel know about the error. It has been fixed.

Comment

• Not sure what to make of that game, really loved how the open ice got our defense activated and going north/south all game long but with SLU not having many goal scoring threats it's easy to get up in the play. It was noticeable how much that opened the ice for our forwards and they used their speed advantage to get chance after chance which also was a product of getting 40+ shots for the first time this season. If Thow and Underwood can play that like along with Moro and Schneider being extremely steady and improving on finding forwards with space and improving on getting shots through this team can be real dangerous, Hurley was solid too and once he gets back in the swing of things he will be a force for us and it was evident how his poise helped our PP right from the get go. The PK looked good once again but SLU definitely deserves some credit for their extremely stagnant PP, Cooper and Quince have been awesome on the kill since returning as well.

It was really nice to see Campoli get his first one, he looked a bit more relaxed out there and was finding some good spaces to get into and that resulted in a deflection goal. Also great to see MacLean get his first one as well, he's been solid on the PK and has been working hard so it's good to see him get rewarded. Cooper continues to impress, if he can continue to score goals consistently we could make a nice run the 2nd half. Egle was flying out there and still amazes me with how he keeps control of the puck, really smooth zone entries where he makes extremely hard things look so simple, I like the idea of keeping Brosseau and Sturm with him and that seems to be the trend as of late so hopefully Brosseau will increase his goal output which I think is going to be needed for the upper echelon of the ECAC. Tisdale was one of the best forwards on the ice last night and you could tell he was loving the extra space of the big ice, once he settles into D1 hockey and it slows down for him he's going to be quite productive IMO. I saw Quince won 17 of his 20 face-off opportunities which seemed to be a weakness heading into Placid other than Sturm, if he can do that consistently and continue to really grind on teams with long puck possession spells that is when he's going to be at his best.

I thought it was funny Morris kept referring to youth when explaining his teams struggles in the postgame interview, Clarkson has plenty of youth as well if he hadn't noticed. We are just the more complete team and obviously he isn't going to come out and admit that so he has to make something up but still it's quite obvious, what he could've talked about was how his team played bush league hockey trying to take cheap shots when the game is out of reach, I get setting the tone for the upcoming games in a few weeks but keep it clean, running players away from the puck or up high is not that. Hockey in general is a game of youth and I don't know if he has a true grasp for that, from the minor hockey associations to the high schools/prep schools leading up to the junior leagues there is too much talent for only 60 D1 teams and in most cases players come in ready to play from day one rather than the older mentality of waiting your turn. If players are unhappy with their situation then they are probably going to leave, there have been a lot more doors opened with the transfer route that we've recently taken advantage of and the grad-transfer route that is becoming extremely common.

Clarkson has a good chance to head into the holiday break with 10 wins which is great, they've shown to be a good team at home even when not playing their best hockey so hopefully this game propels the offense to be more consistent and certain individuals have gained confidence which hopefully results in scoring depth. Yale won't be easy and Brown has given us some sneaky games over the years but I like that we get Yale second, the north country trip is never easy on teams and SLU tries to be a physical team so they will grind on Yale that first night coming off their Northern Ireland trip. The SLU home and home should be interesting, if Clarkson plays to their capability then it should be a pair of wins but you never know with this rivalry.

Comment

• A big takeaway for me is Campoli scoring a goal. Although it was a tip-in, I think it's huge for him to score that goal to get things going for him. I'd expect him to score again this weekend.

Comment

• Tech # 17 in latest poll

Comment

• Was there a lot of Goon activity by SLU?

Comment

• There was some goony play going on but I always expect it with this matchup.

We looked pretty decent on the big sheet of ice. Tech dominated the neutral zone, did a great job regrouping when we had to and getting back on D to help snuff out chances, then get the puck back up ice. Kielly looked okay but wasnít tested TOO much. Pretty good flow on offense I thought, puck was moving good and plenty of scoring chances.

I thought it was evident down the stretch that Clarkson was the more fit/fast team.

Hopefully that offensive flow keeps rolling and we can sweep Down-the-hole-round-the-hole/Eli this weekend. Looking forward to it.... also looking forward to Dunneís return.
                          Last edited by CheelFaithful92; 11-28-2018, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CLKnIgHts21 View Post
                            A big takeaway for me is Campoli scoring a goal. Although it was a tip-in, I think it's huge for him to score that goal to get things going for him. I'd expect him to score again this weekend.
                            Good call.

Comment

• Campoli just needs to adjust to the pace, you can tell his mind is running wild trying to adjust to things which explains his switch to wing and again tonight he had a few situations where he has to get the puck out, you do that against Minnesota Duluth or Minnesota State in a month and that's in the back of our net. Defense again is battling hard and is making things difficult for the opponent, McCarthy is settling in still but you could see strides in his game from a month ago, Schneider and Underwood also have been so critical. The only defenseman that seems to be struggling is Jere Astren and it's not because of ability or effort he just needs to play more controlled and calm things down. Hoping for the best for Hurley but to be honest it didn't look too good and if it's long term then we have 7 healthy defensemen, when he went out of the lineup a few weeks ago it wasn't a huge loss but you add another injury onto his and we are in trouble.

Comment

• Originally posted by cutothefrozen4 View Post
                                Hoping for the best for Hurley but to be honest it didn't look too good and if it's long term then we have 7 healthy defensemen, when he went out of the lineup a few weeks ago it wasn't a huge loss but you add another injury onto his and we are in trouble.
                                Hope I'm 100% wrong but it looked like a fractured wrist to me how he hit the boards.

Comment

Working...
                                X