No announcement yet.

2018-2019 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good effort tonight(and not just because they won)! Better compete level, won most of the on on one battles and more races to loose pucks.
    Nice win and good to head into the break with a victory. Bad news for Cooper.

Comment

• Huge time for Astren to get his first point of the season, it was a great read to stay with the play and beat his guy to the inside and then Sturm continues to do what he does and sets him up perfectly. It was important to get Brosseau on the scoresheet with a nice goal with Campoli making a nice play to set him up. That 3rd period was extremely impressive in such a tight game to give them basically nothing for the whole period but most importantly the first 10 minutes of the period until Brosseau scored to give them a bit of breathing room. Unfortunately it was still a 2 points lost weekend even with all the injuries because SLU is going through the same thing and just don't have the type of players we posses, plenty of chances to add some impressive wins for the pairwise weekend and it starts with the Arizona Tournament.

Arizona St. just went into New Jersey and swept a struggling but still solid Princeton team, earlier in the season they split @ Penn State losing 6-5 while winning 4-3, they split at Harvard too so this team is definitely legit, they are 9th in the pairwise and host Colorado College for 2 this weekend. Win or lose to Arizona State and we will be facing a probable top 5 pairwise team with either Minnesota State (currently 3rd in the pairwise) who will be without their coach Mike Hastings who will be with the USA world junior team as HC or Minnesota-Duluth (currently 4th in the pairwise) who could be without Dylan Samberg/Michael Anderson/Noah Cates if they make the USA world junior team which Anderson/Samberg are surely locks for. We are 47th in SOS according to KRACH with only Brown and UMass-Lowell behind us of non Atlantic Hockey teams so it will be interesting to see how we handle tough opponents with some consistency here in the 2nd half.
      Last edited by cutothefrozen4; 12-09-2018, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave techer View Post
        Grant Cooper is done for the season Ö again?? OMG, poor kid.
        Yep. I spoke to Grant Saturday night, and unfortunately he said his season is over, he will be undergoing a surgery.. and i could have swore he said Dunne's season was over.. but don't quote me on Dunne, it was loud and busy lol.. And Hurley is gonna be out a long while.
        Last edited by CheelFaithful92; 12-16-2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• With this level of injuries is it time to bring forward some recruits from 2019 ?

Comment

• Dunne is not out long term. He will be back in the Arizona tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill'70 View Post
              With this level of injuries is it time to bring forward some recruits from 2019 ?
              It's not that easy just to "bring forward some recruits". We have to remember that they are student athletes with a plan of their own, not free agents sitting at home waiting for a call. We should be doing what's best for them academically and doing what we need to do with what we have.

Comment

• Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                With the departures of Rempal and Dickinson, do we think any of our 19 recruits might be pushed up? Also, does anyone think Casey and Co. are out there looking at other schools' 19 recruits that they might be able to get with a promise to bring them in in 18?
                Fully agree with you here FireKnight. Students first should be the priority as very few of these players will succeed in hockey more than they might with their academic degree.

That said, Casey101 hockey, which everyone who has watched this team since he came on campus, is known for board play (dump along the boards, push the puck up the boards, multiple players working the puck along the board, three forwards behind the offensive goal line along the boards) and far less open ice passing. Board play is great until your 5'10" 165 lb. forward is pinned to the boards by a 6'4" 225 lb opposing defenseman and the shoulder separates. That is the injury at Clarkson the past decade. If you watch a team like North Dakota, you'll see far fewer opportunities for this terrible injury from occurring because of their style of play that is driven by the way their coaches set the team up to play. Our style needs to change...and maybe a lot more off ice nutrition & weight training (our players do not seem to grow in size much in four years). Reduce the opportunities and remain healthier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Remember Walker View Post

Fully agree with you here FireKnight. Students first should be the priority as very few of these players will succeed in hockey more than they might with their academic degree.

That said, Casey101 hockey, which everyone who has watched this team since he came on campus, is known for board play (dump along the boards, push the puck up the boards, multiple players working the puck along the board, three forwards behind the offensive goal line along the boards) and far less open ice passing. Board play is great until your 5'10" 165 lb. forward is pinned to the boards by a 6'4" 225 lb opposing defenseman and the shoulder separates. That is the injury at Clarkson the past decade. If you watch a team like North Dakota, you'll see far fewer opportunities for this terrible injury from occurring because of their style of play that is driven by the way their coaches set the team up to play. Our style needs to change...and maybe a lot more off ice nutrition & weight training (our players do not seem to grow in size much in four years). Reduce the opportunities and remain healthier.
                  One of the things that always impressed me about Coach Morris was the development of his players from year to year. Sure there were some players that didn't fit the bill, but the vast majority of players I saw in my time there ended up being the best darn player they could be with their level of talent. Many of them ended up playing above their level of expectations. Casey's system, coaching style, whatever, really results in stagnation. Even a guy like Rempal with potential NHL level talent showed very little improvement in his areas of weakness between year 1 and year 2 and his strength is still a huge issue in the AHL despite his contribution on the scoresheet. How can you recruit top players (or at least top players that would consider a smaller program) if they don't see that the coaching staff is preparing them for the next level?

I'm sure people here are sick of hearing me gripe about Casey, but the proof is in the results. Looking at the group of guys that came to Clarkson with me in 1992, they weren't the most talented pack in the ECAC, much less nationally. However, when they graduated, they were the best them that they could be with maybe one exception and you could watch them get better during their careers at Clarkson.

Comment

• I actually completely agree with both of you, there's not much free flowing offense which is definitely interesting as our recruiting is trending towards picking up smaller skilled guys that are generally offense first. I don't think that's on the fault of the system rather the personnel within the system, when Rempal was here and was making plays over and over he opened so much up for others, you'll be seeing the likes of Campbell and Romano do that IMO. I've touched on it before but Brosseau looks lost without Rempal, Jacome has looked good but he still needs a goal scorer with him that isn't afraid to get into the dirty areas and win battles in front like Dickinson.

The real issue I see now and going forward is on defense, I like the progress of Moro and Schneider but now it becomes a consistency issue with advancing the puck and then Thow has taken significant strides this season which would've been real nice with last years team, Astren and Kuzmeski haven't impressed in their showings and I believe they are what they are at this point, McCarthy is a TBD for me as he's playing better lately. Only time will tell with the promising freshmen, I think the addition of Brekke to the staff will help them in coming years. I like McFaul down the road and he has the potential to be a big time producer after a few years on campus but just in general the tactic of recruiting the big trees that are hard to play against is becoming more and more outdated. Even Schafer is starting to realize this, Hurley and Underwood are good but judging where they came from that was all Hauge. I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear but our best teams are probably in future years, replacing Rempal basically with Campoli who hasn't impressed compared to his hype and then being put in a bind with Dickinson and adding a solid two-way guy in Callin, those just don't matchup. And as I've mentioned before we will take a hit if Egle/Kielly/Sturm.

One thing though based on the progress of our recruiting I don't think NHL organizations have any issues with players developing here, no 1st round talent is going to commit here although Campbell and Romano are pretty darn close to that for our standard but just in general there are a lot more NHL scouts coming out and watching our team. Over the last few years we've had Vigneault and then Dickinson and Rempal all leave early and now we have more candidates now so something is going right, maybe not for immediate Clarkson success but coupled with the renovations it's been helping recruiting a lot for the forwards especially. Going forward I really would like to see some players that are brought in and they can help run a PP and help get the puck to our talented forward group but that doesn't seem to be the direction we are headed to. It will also will depend on what Oldham brings to the table for future years, if he is UNO level then I won't be watching too many games.
                    Last edited by cutothefrozen4; 12-19-2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Getting back to my post about bring in a 2019 recruit early it is not that hard to do, Quinny is bringing in a d-man from the Jr Bruins for the rest of this season.

My Idea is academic at this point if Dunne will be back for the Arizona games.

Merry Christmas to all Clarkson fans

Comment

• If Clarkson play UMD in Arizona Tech gets a little break as UMD will be without a forward and 2 d-men as they will be at the World Juniors for Team USA

Comment

• UMD News : https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...urn-tournament

Comment

• Any TV for the AZ tourney?

Comment

• In Potsdam Channels 375 and 377 Pac 12 Network

Comment

• WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Clarkson 3 Arizona St 0

THE GOOD

3 PP Goals by Dunn, Brosseau and Thow
                                Kielly with the 15 save shut out
                                8 for 8 on the PK

THE NOT SO GOOD
                                Lots of penalties

Up next the defending National Champ U Minn Duluth the early game.

https://www.uscho.com/2018/12/29/des...umd-for-title/
                                Last edited by vicb; 12-29-2018, 06:45 AM.
                                Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                                If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Working...
                                X