No announcement yet.

2018-2019 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time writer...long time reader. I have to make a comment in regards to a certain poster and his continuous attacks on a coaching staff than in the past couple of years has had this program in the national limelight. This team was ranked number 1 last year for crying out loud and now up to 14 again. Yet everytime they lose...it's the coaches fault. I am of the belief that Mr. Yianokous should hire this person as an advisor to the program...maybe a motivational speaker and then we would never lose again. All in all, in the most serious of tones...I would give Mr. Jones a HUGE contract extension. He is bringing in big time guys and has this program, located in Potsdam NY of all places, right in the thick of an NCAA berth again. I get that it's one voice, or comment but come on man...lighten up and appreciate how well this coaching staff has done. We all want national championships in Potsdam but this isn't women's hockey...the competition for players is MUCH more competitive, there are more teams and better coaches. And, it isn't all that easy recruiting hockey players to an engineering school who's closest airport is in Montreal (Massena doesn't count lol.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Peterpuma View Post
      First time writer...long time reader. I have to make a comment in regards to a certain poster and his continuous attacks on a coaching staff than in the past couple of years has had this program in the national limelight. This team was ranked number 1 last year for crying out loud and now up to 14 again. Yet everytime they lose...it's the coaches fault. I am of the belief that Mr. Yianokous should hire this person as an advisor to the program...maybe a motivational speaker and then we would never lose again. All in all, in the most serious of tones...I would give Mr. Jones a HUGE contract extension. He is bringing in big time guys and has this program, located in Potsdam NY of all places, right in the thick of an NCAA berth again. I get that it's one voice, or comment but come on man...lighten up and appreciate how well this coaching staff has done. We all want national championships in Potsdam but this isn't women's hockey...the competition for players is MUCH more competitive, there are more teams and better coaches. And, it isn't all that easy recruiting hockey players to an engineering school who's closest airport is in Montreal (Massena doesn't count lol.)
      Well, technically both the Ottawa and Watertown Airports are closer than Montreal, but point taken there.

As for the criticism of Casey, I've only been following Clarkson for five years now (four of which have been winning seasons after a stretch of five years without a winning season). A big element of criticism, often leveled on this board against Casey is that he is rigid in his style and often tries to use styles of play that don't fit his team. I do feel this is somewhat warranted, as this board was rather unanimous in its belief in early January of last year that Clarkson was going to win the ECAC and likely make the Frozen Four before the team went most of February without a win and nearly dropped itself out of the tournament altogether. At the same time, especially considering how the Yale announcers were acting like they were whupped yesterday (you would have thought that they lost by four or five with how they were talking), I do think it is unfair to harshly criticize a coach when his team is on a seven-game win streak with four of those wins coming against ranked opposition.

Comment

• Hydra, I can live with that...but it gets a little annoying to see everytime the team loses or doesn't play up to someone's standards it's all Casey's fault. If Casey is that bad...then I feel bad for 85% of the college programs across the country...

Comment

First time writer...long time reader. I have to make a comment in regards to a certain poster and his continuous attacks on a coaching staff than in the past couple of years has had this program in the national limelight. This team was ranked number 1 last year for crying out loud and now up to 14 again. Yet everytime they lose...it's the coaches fault. I am of the belief that Mr. Yianokous should hire this person as an advisor to the program...maybe a motivational speaker and then we would never lose again. All in all, in the most serious of tones...I would give Mr. Jones a HUGE contract extension. He is bringing in big time guys and has this program, located in Potsdam NY of all places, right in the thick of an NCAA berth again. I get that it's one voice, or comment but come on man...lighten up and appreciate how well this coaching staff has done. We all want national championships in Potsdam but this isn't women's hockey...the competition for players is MUCH more competitive, there are more teams and better coaches. And, it isn't all that easy recruiting hockey players to an engineering school who's closest airport is in Montreal (Massena doesn't count lol.)
          PETERPUMA...AMEN!

Comment

• Rinse, repeat

Comment

• Now 9 in pair wise (if briefly). Helps with visibility and recruiting. Congrats to players and coaches.

Comment

• What's up with Charyszyn? Started all last year, only 15 GP so far?

Comment

I'm with you Peter. I've been watching Clarkson Hockey for 40 years now and I've seen good, and not so good coaches and players. Some thoughts come to mind when I read the critical posts. One thing that was always true was good players make good coaches, not the other way around. Recruiting is critical and it seems to me that Casey gets an A for recruiting (In a dog eat dog environment) but I defer to CuttotheFrozenFour because he seems to have great insight into the recruiting situation. Replacing Keilly when he leaves must keep the staff up at night. That won't be easy to do.
                  Player development is another key to success. We had two outstanding players leave our program early after last year and we had a big incoming freshman class. Looks like the freshman class is starting to be productive. Others have mentioned the breakout season for Thow and Moro and they're right. Another player, Connor McCarthy, struggled early in the year now he seems to be contributing nicely. In short, the players we have are getting better.
                  I can understand the criticisms of systems. Reasonable people can disagree and choose to argue the system is a problem. My personal opinion about the February collapse last year is that the team was never the same after they lost Grant Cooper. I was in Ireland and saw him play there for the first time and he jumped out as the classic example of a kid that may not show up on the score sheet but makes everybody around him better when he's on the ice. I thought we were going to go down the crapper this year when we lost Cooper again but it seems that Marley Quince is picking up his game and maybe taking that role.
                  Last thought. For my money Casey is a better coach than most that we've had and you can include Jerry York on that list.
                  Last edited by O'Flaherty Fan; 01-20-2019, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• The team defense is really frustrating teams, down the middle we are very strong with the three freshmen who are really responsible in their own end first in Callin, Campoli, Dunne, and then obviously Sturm, (imagine if we had Cooper) and the defense is doing almost everything right during this streak. We have only given up more than two goals, the first games of the year at Penn St, @ Union, @ Canisius, @ SLU, all in the first half when all teams are trying to find an identity, since the SLU loss we've let up 0, 0, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 0 and credit to Kuzmeski he's stepped up and has earned his playing time. Kielly looks to be in great shape heading down the stretch as well and as long as the team can stay healthy we could be a dangerous team come postseason play. Plenty of chances to move up in the pairwise with having two games each with Quinnipiac (6th), Cornell (9th), Harvard (17th), even Dartmouth (31st) has gotten off to a solid 6-4-1 start in the league and Princeton (38th) has top end talent that we saw in Placid last year and with them underachieving so far they will surely bring their A game, with Colgate you have to expect getting both wins as they just can't produce goals but no game is easy. I don't think this team will be seeing a collapse there is too much leadership on the ice, the ECAC must be happy with all signs pointing to a return to Lake Placid, hopefully our success gets them to extend there once again.

Comment

• Originally posted by daredevilcu View Post
                      What's up with Charyszyn? Started all last year, only 15 GP so far?
                      He's been dressed as the 13th skater a few games as of late, I just think when he went out with a minor injury others filled into the lineup and they haven't play their way out.

Comment

• Originally posted by O'Flaherty Fan View Post

Iím with you Peter. Iíve been watching Clarkson Hockey for 40 years now and Iíve seen good, and not so good coaches and players. Some thoughts come to mind when I read the critical posts. One thing that was always true was good players make good coaches, not the other way around. Recruiting is critical and it seems to me that Casey gets an A for recruiting (In a dog eat dog environment) but I defer to CuttotheFrozenFour because he seems to have great insight into the recruiting situation. Replacing Keilly when he leaves must keep the staff up at night. That wonít be easy to do.
                        Player development is another key to success. We had two outstanding players leave our program early after last year and we had a big incoming freshman class. Looks like the freshman class is starting to be productive. Others have mentioned the breakout season for Thow and Moro and theyíre right. Another player, Connor McCarthy, struggled early in the year now he seems to be contributing nicely. In short, the players we have are getting better.
                        I can understand the criticisms of systems. Reasonable people can disagree and choose to argue the system is a problem. My personal opinion about the February collapse last year is that the team was never the same after they lost Grant Cooper. I was in Ireland and saw him play there for the first time and he jumped out as the classic example of a kid that may not show up on the score sheet but makes everybody around him better when heís on the ice. I thought we were going to go down the crapper this year when we lost Cooper again but it seems that Marley Quince is picking up his game and maybe taking that role.
                        Last thought. For my money Casey is a better coach than most that weíve had and you can include Jerry York on that list.
                        One thing that has stood out to me so far is the Arizona Tournament and reading the quotes of the UMD assistant filling in for their HC at the World Juniors, he said "That was a hard team to play against and coming into it, that was a playoff style hockey game". Things don't always have to be pretty and there's going to be plenty of mistakes made by every team in college hockey, right now the guys are playing extremely sound and limiting those errors which going forward could lead to more success.

We're talking about a team that lost Amorosa, Dickinson, Rempal, Summers plus a bunch of leadership from Gareau, Gervais, Pireog and we are still looking to finish the season off and secure an at large spot just in case we can't win the ECACs. Recruiting is definitely a huge reason for the turnaround but sticking to our strengths with our systems is also helping out a lot and it's showing now, with the players that didn't show much early on like Kuzmeski, McCarthy, Schneider but they stuck with the process and are now crucial to our continued progress. Now I don't think Andy Jones was a bad coach/recruiter but off the start with Jones/Roy/Jones when Karpowich graduated there were so many issues with our goaltending it wasn't even funny to watch, we always had those big tough to play against defense but had no top end forwards or scoring. Hauge comes in and gets Egle/Kielly works on Sturm that Andy Jones started recruiting, Roy hits big with Brosseau/Rempal, pretty sure he was crucial in getting Campbell to commit back a few years ago as well. Now we have that traditional reputation as a successful hockey program, recent success, and huge renovation plans to a pretty nice facility along with the fact we are 20 minutes away from Canada, it doesn't matter we are in the middle of nowhere with no major airports within a few hours, it matters that we are only an hour and a half away from the Ottawa area, 2 and a half hours away from the Montreal area, 4 hours away from the Toronto area.

Comment

• Clarkson moves up to #10 in the National poll. Great job Knights!

Comment

• Originally posted by cutothefrozen4 View Post

One thing that has stood out to me so far is the Arizona Tournament and reading the quotes of the UMD assistant filling in for their HC at the World Juniors, he said "That was a hard team to play against and coming into it, that was a playoff style hockey game". Things don't always have to be pretty and there's going to be plenty of mistakes made by every team in college hockey, right now the guys are playing extremely sound and limiting those errors which going forward could lead to more success.

We're talking about a team that lost Amorosa, Dickinson, Rempal, Summers plus a bunch of leadership from Gareau, Gervais, Pireog and we are still looking to finish the season off and secure an at large spot just in case we can't win the ECACs. Recruiting is definitely a huge reason for the turnaround but sticking to our strengths with our systems is also helping out a lot and it's showing now, with the players that didn't show much early on like Kuzmeski, McCarthy, Schneider but they stuck with the process and are now crucial to our continued progress. Now I don't think Andy Jones was a bad coach/recruiter but off the start with Jones/Roy/Jones when Karpowich graduated there were so many issues with our goaltending it wasn't even funny to watch, we always had those big tough to play against defense but had no top end forwards or scoring. Hauge comes in and gets Egle/Kielly works on Sturm that Andy Jones started recruiting, Roy hits big with Brosseau/Rempal, pretty sure he was crucial in getting Campbell to commit back a few years ago as well. Now we have that traditional reputation as a successful hockey program, recent success, and huge renovation plans to a pretty nice facility along with the fact we are 20 minutes away from Canada, it doesn't matter we are in the middle of nowhere with no major airports within a few hours, it matters that we are only an hour and a half away from the Ottawa area, 2 and a half hours away from the Montreal area, 4 hours away from the Toronto area.
                            Good insight, as always. I expected Thow and Moro to step up and have big years, they just had to. But the guys I really am impressed with their improvements are Schneider first, and now McCarthy. Schneider got a chance in our home series against Colgate last March, he played big time shutdown D, and carried that right to Lake Placid. He has continued that trend this year and has been a good hard-nosed solid blue liner.. McCarthy looked pretty raw in limited time last season, and looked pretty raw yet early this season.. he seems to get better all the time, though. He can skate really well for his size, he is passing well, early season he had a couple "wow did you really just do that?" Throw away passes.. But he is looking really sharp lately..

Now we've got Cornell x2, Quinny x2, Princeton x2, Harvard x2, and Darty x2.. that is no picnic right there, but it will really reveal what Clarkson can do! Really looking forward to these last 6 weekends. The defense is there. Keep getting good secondary scoring and i think we are looking at another 3rd/4th place finish, in my opinion.

i believe the teams sitting 1-4 right now will be 1-4 in 6 weeks. Perhaps not in that order, though.

Comment

• If we go .500, we will end up with 26 points, which has been historically good enough for a bye - only twice over the last 9 years has it not gotten there.
                              If we go .750, we will end up with 32 points, which has been historically NOT good enough for a league title - only 3 times in the last 9 years has it gotten a Cleary Cup.

Given Cornell's SoS for rest of season, they can **reasonably** be expected to go 9-3. (Colgate x2, RPI x2, Union x2, Brown, Yale, Clarkson x2, SLU x2). That would put them at 33 points. We will likely need to be at 33 points or better to end the season in 1st place, including at minimum a split with Cornell - a sweep for the tiebreakers might be necessary. That means we'll have to go 9-2-1 or better for a shot - not impossible, but seems unlikely given we have some tough sledding with Cornell x2, Quinnipiac x2, Harvard x2, Dartmouth x2. We also don't typically play well at Colgate or Princeton, so that's not great news either.

Comment

• Tough sledding indeed.. This season has me feeling like 4th-8th could be be a log jam.. 27-28 points will all but guarantee a first round bye.. if they go 7-5 to finish, i will be very impressed.

I said it the night they lost at Appleton, that loss is going to have a big impact down the road. And it very well could, depending on how the rest of the field plays.

This weekend is going to be absolutely huge to have a chance to get a little separation from those chasing us down.

Comment

Working...
                                X