No announcement yet.

2018-2019 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February Swoon again. Our line combinations tonight were a disgrace. Effort same. 11th to 17th in the Pairwise. Tomorrow is now a must win.

Comment

• Originally posted by CheelFaithful92 View Post

I am afraid you are right. What the hell is up with that pass-back crap on the PP??? The PP is horrible, it's like watching in slow motion!! They honestly play better at even strength, for WHATEVER reason..

It seems like our scoring depth has just disappeared, if there ever was any.. Every good chance we had, and there were many GOLDEN chances, were all involving Sturm, Egle, Brosseau, and Jacome. Shut those guys down, and we stay off the score sheet..

Im headed to Florida tomorrow and I am looking forward to a break from the north country and watching this team!!! Lol.
      Yeah the Brosseau miss (I think in the 2nd) was an actual joke, that should be a goal in D1 college hockey 100 out of 100. It really does seem that when teams figure us out offensively there's not much innovation with our forward group, Jacome loves making slick plays but overall I think it's fair to say he's the only one on the team, sometimes Egle but otherwise we want to get that puck low, get bodies net front, have the defense playing extremely aggressive trying to keep pucks alive. Our PP was just too cute tonight, there were players making plays they had no business making. Enjoy your time in Florida and away from this awful weather.

Comment

• To think that I decided to stay home and watch this game with a frozen pizza instead of going out for wonderful fish fry, only to watch this team flounder once again on a Friday...just wow.

Some may think we dominated in the 2nd and 3rd periods but in what manner? Sure the location of the puck may have been more lopsided, but unless the puck is heading at or into the net that isn't a great measure of domination. Quality scoring chances
        were pretty even, the power play is far too "cute" where everyone has to play with the puck rather than crisp passing and finding the open player (we were actually doing THAT in the fall). Metrics don't matter when you can't score. Clark played an aggressive, strong game in nets for the Big Green while Jake showed me why he'll never be an NHL or AHL goalie...he stays too deep into his crease and rarely attacks cutting down angles. For most of the third period our passing looked like the guys were drinking fireball between periods - no one could keep a pass on their stick.

Fifth or sixth year in a row that this team seems to come undone right when others are improving. Just sad. It better not happen again tonight.

Comment

• Gaudet always outcoaches Casey, Donato also. Expect the same tonight.
          6:26 elapsed time on the power play, 3 shots on goal. No one ever parked in front of the goalie (in the dirty area). That's an easy power play to defend against.

Comment

• What a comeback win. Dunne scores twice, there is that secondary scoring!

Comment

• Huge win, I thought the team put in a great effort and loved playing physical, we need to beat Princeton at least this upcoming weekend, we've struggled with Kuffner, Teves, Verooneau for years and where they are in the Pairwise it would just be a real killer for the teams tournament hopes, if we lose to a good Quinnipiac team that's understandable and it won't hurt us in the Pairwise one bit. One thing with Quinnipiac they lost one of their best players for the season, Brandon Fortunato the 3rd leading scorer for Q from defense (5 goals, 23 assists in 26 games) and was great on their PP, since losing him they beat Yale but then followed it up by getting beat by Brown 4-1 and then didn't look great offensively against RPI/Union this past weekend. I hope the Harvard goalie is ok, that did not look good but there was nothing Nico could've done, I know he's been through a lot over his years there finally getting his shot at the job after being behind Madsen for years.

Individually there were some impressive nights, Egle and Sturm were great as always, Dunne had one of his best games, the way he moves for how big he is and the way he positions his body to protect the puck is textbook. Brosseau really bounced back from Friday and linked up with Jacome and Thow for a nice goal and just in general Devin played hard all night, Campoli has been a bit of a disappointment offensively but I think that will develop over time, he's playing hard in his own end and complimented two great wingers well last night. Jokiharju adding some secondary scoring was huge and I really hope that gives him confidence, he scored against Brown then picked up a knock but down the stretch in his final games it'd be great to see him finally find some production.

Comment

• I missed most of the game last night because it was busy at work but definitely a good result. Random thought: I'd really like to see Dunne be more active in front of the net on the PP. He could be a force there.

Listening to the weekly college hockey show on Sirius this morning was depressing. Always a difficult listen when you have to listen to the coach of the week be the one who's team shellacked yours the previous weekend. Schafer did have some good things to say about our team though (even if he was just being politically correct).

Comment

• Originally posted by cutothefrozen4 View Post
                  Huge win, I thought the team put in a great effort and loved playing physical, we need to beat Princeton at least this upcoming weekend, we've struggled with Kuffner, Teves, Verooneau for years and where they are in the Pairwise it would just be a real killer for the teams tournament hopes, if we lose to a good Quinnipiac team that's understandable and it won't hurt us in the Pairwise one bit. One thing with Quinnipiac they lost one of their best players for the season, Brandon Fortunato the 3rd leading scorer for Q from defense (5 goals, 23 assists in 26 games) and was great on their PP, since losing him they beat Yale but then followed it up by getting beat by Brown 4-1 and then didn't look great offensively against RPI/Union this past weekend. I hope the Harvard goalie is ok, that did not look good but there was nothing Nico could've done, I know he's been through a lot over his years there finally getting his shot at the job after being behind Madsen for years.

Individually there were some impressive nights, Egle and Sturm were great as always, Dunne had one of his best games, the way he moves for how big he is and the way he positions his body to protect the puck is textbook. Brosseau really bounced back from Friday and linked up with Jacome and Thow for a nice goal and just in general Devin played hard all night, Campoli has been a bit of a disappointment offensively but I think that will develop over time, he's playing hard in his own end and complimented two great wingers well last night. Jokiharju adding some secondary scoring was huge and I really hope that gives him confidence, he scored against Brown then picked up a knock but down the stretch in his final games it'd be great to see him finally find some production.
                  Just thinking out loud, if things start to click for Campoli and he can start to produce on offense, and Keilly gets hot, we could be a very tough out going forward.

Comment

• There's been nothing to indicate Campoli is starting to click, in my opinion

Comment

• We could definitely be a tough out for anyone because of our structure, teams really have to work for their space against us with our aggressive tough to play against defensive style. Obviously that includes Kielly being at his best, if anyone listens to the college hockey today podcast created by College Hockey Inc. that can be found in the Apple Podcast App they had a recent discussion about the top college free agents, if you want to listen to it I won't spoil it for you but to be brief Kielly and former goalie Mat Robson now at Minnesota are considered to be the top two college free agent goalies and Nico Sturm is the top college free agent skater according to the scouts the hosts have talked to. The right opportunities in the NHL are hard to come by, if either of them think they have a chance they can't pass up then they have to take that chance, that's the nice thing about not being drafted, you can talk to anyone.

Well anyway, there is unfinished business from last season and we do have plenty of experience from our leaders in the postseason, those guys are going to lay it all on the line, this junior class was critical in the turnaround of our program they'll want to leave on a high note so I'm not counting us out quite yet. I do believe there is going to have to be some chemistry built in order to do that and have a deep postseason run but I don't believe there is a truly dominant team in college hockey we can't beat on any given night. I liked the line combos on Saturday night and gave the lineup nice balance.

I've mentioned it a few times in regards to Campoli, he has the speed and the skill to be an effective college hockey player, it was noticeable early in the season he was struggling to keep up with the pace of the game, I don't see that as much now and I think he could take advantage of playing a sound game with two good wingers. If any of Callin, Campoli, Charyszyn, Collins, Jokiharju, Klack, MacLean, Quince, Tisdale chip in points here and there coupled with our defense keeping things simple and moving pucks north we can become a dangerous team, the consistent effort just needs to be there for 120 minutes and we will be in good shape.

Comment

• Definitely not an NCAA tournament team. Several teams deserve a bid much more then these "Golden Knights."

Comment

• When you consistently play down to the competition it says a lot. some can go thump their chests that we took a tie on the road but this was THE 49TH ranked team in the country and they out played us. Clarkson to the frozen 4...not with this team’s design. Just sad...fifth year of “falling apart in February”.

Comment

• Originally posted by Remember Walker View Post
                            When you consistently play down to the competition it says a lot. some can go thump their chests that we took a tie on the road but this was THE 49TH ranked team in the country and they out played us. Clarkson to the frozen 4...not with this team’s design. Just sad...fifth year of “falling apart in February”.
                            Agreed. Frozen four talk, these boys would be lucky to be playing in Lake Placid. Truly lucky. Hope for the best against a Quinny team that absolutely dismantled SLU tonight. 1 goal won't cut it tomorrow. Probably neither will 2 or 3 or maybe even 4.

And another thing, this may sound harsh and some may disagree, but the more i watch Maclean play, the more i think he doesn't look like a D1 hockey player.

Comment

• Originally posted by CheelFaithful92 View Post

Agreed. Frozen four talk, these boys would be lucky to be playing in Lake Placid. Truly lucky. Hope for the best against a Quinny team that absolutely dismantled SLU tonight. 1 goal won't cut it tomorrow. Probably neither will 2 or 3 or maybe even 4.

And another thing, this may sound harsh and some may disagree, but the more i watch Maclean play, the more i think he doesn't look like a D1 hockey player.
                              I agree with your assessment of MacLean and I don't understand why he gets so much ice time.

The February swoons each year really are starting to wear at my patience for this coach. I don't know if it's his coaching style that doesn't push the kids to improve or simply that the team we have on day 1 is better prepared whereas other teams get better throughout the year while we remain stagnant. Our big issue is that we have no answer for teams with speed. Princeton is a good example. They aren't extremely talented but they have team speed. Yale is in the same boat; we don't match up well against them at all.

QU is a strong team and well coached. We have played QU tough in the past under Casey, even when they were a much more talented team. I don't know if Rand's style is one that Casey's squads match up well against or whether it's been dumb luck. Nobody is running away with the ECAC and there's 6 points left out there to get. 2 points tomorrow can be a huge difference. I don't want to give up on this team but it's been 5 games in a row now where our effort has sucked.

Comment

• Arguably the biggest game of the regular season tonight. Eliminated from Cleary Cup contention if we lose. Getting a bye is much less likely if we lose - will need 4 points next weekend most likely to have a chance. Also a win will be huge for Pairwise - quality win on the road for RPI plus common opponents will probably flip in some spots

Comment

Working...
                                X