2018-2019 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vic,

I'll respectfully disagree with your opinion with the respect that you've got a ton more experience than I do. However, from my seats I saw a team that was slow, running after Princeton, and couldn't make any offensive push. If not for Kielly, we lose that game 5-1.

Unfortunately I didn't see tonight's game. I'm at a dinner. Good to see some balanced scoring against a quality opponent.

Comment

• And SLU loses their 26th game of the season tonight. With one weekend left, and 2 playoff games guaranteed, a 30 loss season looking very possible for the Saints. THIRTY. LOSSES.

Comment

• Huge win, if we can copy that 2nd period we will be a dangerous team, penalty kill saved the game tonight with the long 5x3 kill and then the 5 minute major kill. Great to see Callin have a breakout game he's been really good this 2nd half. COGO this upcoming weekend so the guys should be amped, if we can just get hot at the right time maybe there is a run in this team at least in conference. I don't want to sound cocky but I expect a sweep next weekend, Colgate looks to be playing better but we have no business losing that game. We returned the favor to Union, Yale, SLU, Harvard, Quinnipiac in conference after losing the 1st affair to those teams and we've been much better on Saturdays this 2nd half so .

Comment

• Vicb, I didn't watch last night's victory over Quinny (yet), but did see the Prinny game. You are correct that the team's tie was not due to a lack of effort. It was due to incorrect positioning of players and that goes back to how the coaching staff sets this team up.

If you want to beat Clarkson, it is rather simple....bring the puck into the Clarkson D-zone and hold it there. Once they (CU) get the puck out of the zone, if they don't get a penalty or take an icing, all five Clarkson players will immediately skate for the bench and your team will have a free pass to get back into the Clarkson zone because Clarkson "close to never" sends a fore-checker in to chase down that puck and attempt to keep the play in the other half of the ice while the four behind change. Repeat this process a few times and scoring chances will come your way. Puck control and momentum are huge and for the Princeton game, as well as many of the other losses, we watched and played dump & change hockey. When we did have the puck, our passing stunk. There had to be 30 Princeton break-outs in the game where their passing and skating was free to come pass the red-line without any pressure. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

After Friday's game, I turned onto the Fox Sports Net and watched North Dakota play U Minn-Duluth. Both teams sent chasers (fore-checkers) in and both teams style of play and passing made the Clarkson - Prinny game look like a JuCo game in Watertown. It got me wondering if UMD was really that penalized when they played us by the loss of the three or four that were in the world championships. How we beat them...wow. But hey, this Jekkyl & Hyde team just took down Tufto's Quinny team.

Effort is very important, but effort in a foolish style of hockey (as I've called for many years "Casey 101 hockey"), can lead to losses and ties against weaker teams when they are faster skaters and know how to lock your offense down by locking you into a defensive zone game. Go watch some NCHC games and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Remember Walker View Post
            Vicb, I didn't watch last night's victory over Quinny (yet), but did see the Prinny game. You are correct that the team's tie was not due to a lack of effort. It was due to incorrect positioning of players and that goes back to how the coaching staff sets this team up.
            When you do watch the Quinny game I am interested as to how you saw this game. Again I saw the effort with finishing when they got the chance. While I was glad we won, there was still a lot of defensive lapes especially in the third period that allowed Quinny to free wheel into our zone, skate around and either take a shot that just missed, one clanged off the crossbar or have Jake make a great save. I will say a number of the guys did a great job blocking shots or Jake would have faced even more shots. The 4 goal second period had to be a high for the team this year. I am too lazy to look at all the box scores. Colgate and Cornell next weekend.

Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
            If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by Remember Walker View Post
              Vicb, I didn't watch last night's victory over Quinny (yet), but did see the Prinny game. You are correct that the team's tie was not due to a lack of effort. It was due to incorrect positioning of players and that goes back to how the coaching staff sets this team up.

If you want to beat Clarkson, it is rather simple....bring the puck into the Clarkson D-zone and hold it there. Once they (CU) get the puck out of the zone, if they don't get a penalty or take an icing, all five Clarkson players will immediately skate for the bench and your team will have a free pass to get back into the Clarkson zone because Clarkson "close to never" sends a fore-checker in to chase down that puck and attempt to keep the play in the other half of the ice while the four behind change. Repeat this process a few times and scoring chances will come your way. Puck control and momentum are huge and for the Princeton game, as well as many of the other losses, we watched and played dump & change hockey. When we did have the puck, our passing stunk. There had to be 30 Princeton break-outs in the game where their passing and skating was free to come pass the red-line without any pressure. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

After Friday's game, I turned onto the Fox Sports Net and watched North Dakota play U Minn-Duluth. Both teams sent chasers (fore-checkers) in and both teams style of play and passing made the Clarkson - Prinny game look like a JuCo game in Watertown. It got me wondering if UMD was really that penalized when they played us by the loss of the three or four that were in the world championships. How we beat them...wow. But hey, this Jekkyl & Hyde team just took down Tufto's Quinny team.

Effort is very important, but effort in a foolish style of hockey (as I've called for many years "Casey 101 hockey"), can lead to losses and ties against weaker teams when they are faster skaters and know how to lock your offense down by locking you into a defensive zone game. Go watch some NCHC games and you'll see what I'm talking about.
              Ironically I watched UMD and North Dakota, theSaturday night game and it was one of the worst games I've seen all year (both of their fans would agree I would think). Duluth had 17 shots, No Dak 16, North Dakota couldn't even get anything near the net the last 5 minutes it was all to the outside in typical Clarkson fashion. Now I know Duluth is great, North Dakota doesn't have much scoring but the point is consistency is an issue at times for all teams. The 2nd period against Quinnipiac is how you want to play every 20 minute period, that's not a reality for this bunch unless there is some pressure relieved from Egle/Sturm and even Kielly who had way too much to do this weekend. Callin took what the defense gave him and placed some nice shots for his two goals but the big take away for me was Tisdale winning a 50/50 to get it to Campoli who then made a really nice play out to Klack for his goal, these freshmen seem unconscious and the drag of the season hasn't effected them too much so that could be a big factor if production becomes a little more consistent for them.

Comment

• With Yale struggling a bit, and hosting tough Prinny/Quinny next weekend, a Clarkson win on Friday could all but shore up a Top 4 ECAC finish for the second year in a row. Three points guarantees a top 4 finish. A sweep would be terrific for the boys, and the fans too, going into the ECAC tourny with big wins against Quinny and Big Red.. Not to mention really solidifying Clarkson as an NCAA candidate.

Cheel will be absolutely rocking this weekend and I am pumped already!!!

Comment

• Clarkson can win the Cleary with a sweep and a little help. Harvard and Quinnipiac each need a 4pt weekend to lock us out of the Cleary. If they get 3pt or less each, a sweep will do it for us

Comment

• So here's what I can figure on tie breaks if we sweep... please let me know if I am misunderstanding the tiebreaking methods from the ECAC website

2-way tie with Cornell : CLK 1st seed, CU 2nd
                    3-way tie with Cornell and Harvard : CU 1st, CLK 2nd, HU 3rd
                    3-way tie with Cornell and QPac : QU 1st. CLK 2nd, CU 3rd
                    4-way tie : QU 1st, CU 2nd, CLK 3rd, HU 4th

Just win baby. None of this matters if we don't.

Comment

• Originally posted by daredevilcu View Post
                      So here's what I can figure on tie breaks if we sweep... please let me know if I am misunderstanding the tiebreaking methods from the ECAC website

Our biggest problem is winning. Second to that is us needing RPI or Union to figure out how to get a point from Harvard. If that doesn't happen, nothing else matters.

Comment

• Originally posted by daredevilcu View Post
                        So here's what I can figure on tie breaks if we sweep... please let me know if I am misunderstanding the tiebreaking methods from the ECAC website

You are correct
                        2-way tie with Cornell : CCT 1st seed, CU 2nd The 2nd tie bread applies, Clarkson would have more League Wins
                        3-way tie with Cornell and Harvard : CU 1st, CCT 2nd, HU 3rd The First tie break HTH, CU 3-1-0, CCT 2-2-0, Harv 1-3-0
                        3-way tie with Cornell and QPac : QU 1st. CCT 2nd, CU 3rd The First tie break HTH, QU 2-1-1, CCT 2-2-0, Corn 1-2-1
                        4-way tie : QU 1st, CU 2nd, CCT 3rd, HU 4th The First tie break HTH, QU 3-2-1, CU 3-2-1, CCT 3-3-0, HU 2-4-0
                        Redoing the First Tie Break HTH, QU 1-0-1 and CU 0-1-1

As FK and ddcu said, CCT has to win and Union or RPI have to at a minimum tie Harvard and Bruno or Ylae need to at a minimum tie Quinny.

Last edited by vicb; 02-24-2019, 01:41 PM.
                        Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                        If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

• IMPORTANT Up to # 12 in Pairwise. If Tech stays at # 12 or higher will not need to win Tourney Title in Lake Placid to get in NCAA

Comment

• If we split and lose to Cornell, and Yale sweeps, we would be tied with 27 points, the same wins (13), 1-1-0 against each other, and Yale would have the 3rd tie breaker with a 2-3-1 record against QU/CU/HU, compared to our 2-4-0...

if we split but beat Cornell, and Yale sweeps, we would beat them on the 3rd ti-break rule with a 3-3-0 record against QU/CU/HU..

Lot of variables here.. As DDCU pointed out, just win baby!! And everything will sort out just fine.

Comment

• My Frozen Four tickets arrived today. Now all I need is for Clarkson to punch their ticket. Unfortunately, unless Clarkson makes it, I'm not going. One of our dogs is in kidney failure and requires home care not otherwise available. If Tech makes it, I'll travel without the lady, if not, I'll be home with her and the pups. So I've got a vacation riding on this boys... let's go Tech.

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post

When you do watch the Quinny game I am interested as to how you saw this game. Again I saw the effort with finishing when they got the chance. While I was glad we won, there was still a lot of defensive lapes especially in the third period that allowed Quinny to free wheel into our zone, skate around and either take a shot that just missed, one clanged off the crossbar or have Jake make a great save. I will say a number of the guys did a great job blocking shots or Jake would have faced even more shots. The 4 goal second period had to be a high for the team this year. I am too lazy to look at all the box scores. Colgate and Cornell next weekend.

Vicb, I did watch the game now. The entire game was wide open and a real barn-burner. Quinny has been known for one thing for many years and that is moving the puck. For the most part they did not disappoint in that measure except that they had a really bad night at holding onto their passes. Rarely did they receive a pass and "play" with the puck prior to passing again or attempting a shot, and they never really settled down enough in their offensive zone to force CU into a dump & chase style of hockey for long. Play just went back and forth. I know many might call me out on this, but Quinny actually outplayed us in the game and had better scoring opportunities, but could not convert on some of those passes (very lucky for us).

Now that goal by Cressy (or whatever his name is) was a classic head of steam goal set up by the entire CU team changing at once with no follower/fore-checker. Two "fresh" skaters came out of our bench and because he had such a head of steam being left alone in his D-zone, he just blew by them like they were pylons. NHL teams "always" send one in yet we rarely do. So, we made the play of the day...in the wrong way. Move on.

CU's break-out was improved and we were moving the puck (passing) and shooting much better than most games over the past month, though the PP still looks worse than it did in October. Let's all hope that that team and play show up this weekend. I like McCarthy on Defense for the PP as when he gets the puck he doesn't typically daddle around with it. As a past goalie, the one thing that I always loved was a team where each player got a pass and took five seconds to be cute with the puck before doing something with it (similar to watching a basketball game where every player has to dribble once they receive a pass - both very much easier to defend).

Comment

Working...
                                X