2018-2019 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by daredevilcu View Post

Easy killer. It's Spring Break, not a long weekend. None of the students are even on campus almost. You could be praising the fact there are enough kids there for a band at all.
    KIller....really.. . If you sign up for a team, do they leave to go home for spring break? Feel bad for the girls get home ice for NCAA and no band.

Comment

• Originally posted by ndlax View Post

KIller....really.. . If you sign up for a team, do they leave to go home for spring break? Feel bad for the girls get home ice for NCAA and no band.
      We are lucky enough to have honestly one of the better pep bands in college hockey. We've all seen some of these other ECAC (mostly Ivy) teams at their home games when the students ARE there, and they just don't have what we have. (Not counting Cornell). We knew it would be like this. It's a bummer but it's spring break....I can tell you one thing, if we are lucky enough to get to Lake Placid, there will be a pretty good student/alumni pep band mix up there, and an enormous fan base compared to the other contenders. Last year was awesome. And our house has been booked for a month up there haha!!

Comment

• In other news:

Brown upsets Quinnipiac in overtime.
        Union upsets Cornell in regulation.
        Harvard beats Dartmouth.

Pretty great results for us tonight all around.

Comment

• Originally posted by daredevilcu View Post
          In other news:

Brown upsets Quinnipiac in overtime.
          Union upsets Cornell in regulation.
          Harvard beats Dartmouth.

Pretty great results for us tonight all around.
          Tomorrow is gonna be a really fun day at Cheel, but also very interesting to see around the league what happens.. Clarkson could end up punching ther ticket as top seed heading to Placid lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by CheelFaithful92 View Post

We are lucky enough to have honestly one of the better pep bands in college hockey. We've all seen some of these other ECAC (mostly Ivy) teams at their home games when the students ARE there, and they just don't have what we have. (Not counting Cornell). We knew it would be like this. It's a bummer but it's spring break....I can tell you one thing, if we are lucky enough to get to Lake Placid, there will be a pretty good student/alumni pep band mix up there, and an enormous fan base compared to the other contenders. Last year was awesome. And our house has been booked for a month up there haha!!
            I agree. My point is though not how CU Pep Band compares to others around. My point is, They signed up to do a job. They chose to sign up to be part of this team. If you sign up to be a team member you stay through vacation. To me it shows to me the level of commitment. Sorry I know others don't feel this way. But what if Dunne chose to go home...Nico went home...boy old boy this form would be on fire. To me there is no difference in players on the hockey team not showing up or players on the pep band not showing up.

Comment

I agree. My point is though not how CU Pep Band compares to others around. My point is, They signed up to do a job. They chose to sign up to be part of this team. If you sign up to be a team member you stay through vacation. To me it shows to me the level of commitment. Sorry I know others don't feel this way. But what if Dunne chose to go home...Nico went home...boy old boy this form would be on fire. To me there is no difference in players on the hockey team not showing up or players on the pep band not showing up.
              Dunne and Sturm are D1 scholarship athletes who are there to play hockey first and foremost, and there education is free because of that... The pep band members are there to learn...If the Pep Band members were there on a scholarship to perform in that band, then by all means i would agree! That is not even a remotely fair comparison.

Comment

Dunne and Sturm are D1 scholarship athletes who are there to play hockey first and foremost, and there education is free because of that... The pep band members are there to learn...If the Pep Band members were there on a scholarship to perform in that band, then by all means i would agree! That is not even a remotely fair comparison.
                Not all of the players are there to play hockey and their education is free because of that. In fact, there are only 18 athletic scholarships. Some are split as partials and I'd imagine guys like Sturm and Brosseau are not on full scholarship. (Sturm is a good student and probably qualifies for significant international student funds available and Brosseau is an excellent student, probably qualifying for significant aid just on his academic merits.) Although they don't publish where the scholarships go, we can fairly safely assume that the backup goaltenders are not scholarship players. Do you think people would be upset if they said "see ya, we're going on spring break rather than sitting around in case Jake gets injured"?

While the young men and women in the band may not get free college, they do get a ton of benefits. They get more road trips now than we ever got as band members. We used to get 2 trips per year and everything else was "pile in a bunch of cars and wing it". They get 5 ECAC road weekends, playoff trips, trips to Notre Dame, or Arizona, or even Ireland! So, expecting some level of commitment from these young men and women is not out of the realm of reasonable. With that being said, you only get 4 spring breaks as a college student and they can be memories you never forget. I can see both sides, but I'd tend to side with the students.

Comment

• Originally posted by FireKnight View Post

Not all of the players are there to play hockey and their education is free because of that. In fact, there are only 18 athletic scholarships. Some are split as partials and I'd imagine guys like Sturm and Brosseau are not on full scholarship. (Sturm is a good student and probably qualifies for significant international student funds available and Brosseau is an excellent student, probably qualifying for significant aid just on his academic merits.) Although they don't publish where the scholarships go, we can fairly safely assume that the backup goaltenders are not scholarship players. Do you think people would be upset if they said "see ya, we're going on spring break rather than sitting around in case Jake gets injured"?

While the young men and women in the band may not get free college, they do get a ton of benefits. They get more road trips now than we ever got as band members. We used to get 2 trips per year and everything else was "pile in a bunch of cars and wing it". They get 5 ECAC road weekends, playoff trips, trips to Notre Dame, or Arizona, or even Ireland! So, expecting some level of commitment from these young men and women is not out of the realm of reasonable. With that being said, you only get 4 spring breaks as a college student and they can be memories you never forget. I can see both sides, but I'd tend to side with the students.
                  cool story. I never said every player is on a full ride. My point was there is a big difference between being a pep band member, and two of the top forwards on a nationally ranked division 1 hockey team(Sturm and Dunne), as far as "not showing up." Jeesh.

Comment

cool story. I never said every player is on a full ride. My point was there is a big difference between being a pep band member, and two of the top forwards on a nationally ranked division 1 hockey team(Sturm and Dunne), as far as "not showing up." Jeesh.
                    There is no I in team only in the A whole. The point is you sign up, show up. Its called commitment. Something this generation doesn't get! Plus, they chose to be in band, take part in the trips all the glory so they should be there to the end.

AS for FK comment he is point on! The best player is may be a 3 for 4 in other words 75% of a full ride. Plus, keep in mind that if they turned 21 during there season of Juniors, they must have 12 credit hours to attend a NCAA institution.

Comment

There is no I in team only in the A whole. The point is you sign up, show up. Its called commitment. Something this generation doesn't get! Plus, they chose to be in band, take part in the trips all the glory so they should be there to the end.

AS for FK comment he is point on! The best player is may be a 3 for 4 in other words 75% of a full ride. Plus, keep in mind that if they turned 21 during there season of Juniors, they must have 12 credit hours to attend a NCAA institution.
                      You seem to misunderstand how pep band works. There is no "obligation" in the Clarkson pep band. Some clubs and organizations (like sports teams, more serious bands, etc.) express an expectation when you sign up that you will be at everything. The pep band does not. I don't know if it did in the of your generation, but it doesn't now. It functions as a place where people can have fun and decompress from the work that comes with being a Clarkson student. The only leverage the band has to get people to show up is knocking them down the list for road trips. Otherwise, people go when they want to go.

Comment

• Brown 4-3 Final. Brown Bears Placid bound.

Comment

• So Tech, Brown(still can't believe they knocked out Q), Harvard, and then Union and Cornell to be decided tomorrow at 4.
                          TCS '96, CU '00

Comment

• If Union wins -> early game v Union
                            if Cornell wins -> late game v Harvard

Since the ladies are playing late on Friday, GO UNION!!!
                            CCT '77 & '78

Comment

• Nope. We would play brown in the early game.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                If Union wins -> early game v Union
                                if Cornell wins -> late game v Harvard

Since the ladies are playing late on Friday, GO UNION!!!
                                Odd that Wisconsin took the late game. The high-seed has taken the early game nearly every time. Maybe they want to let their central time zone fans watch (since the semifinal games are an hour early this year, Central Time Zone fans would be watching the early game at 3). I'm not complaining about this, since it makes me getting to the game easier, but I know FireKnight will be disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                                X