2018-2019 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill'70 View Post
    I cannot find a place to click on 2018-19 on the roster page your link leads to
    You're not going crazy, Bill. I checked and the 2018-19 roster has now been taken down. Like I mentioned, maybe somebody's still working on it.

Anyone have an opinion on where Clarkson lands in the ECAC pre-season poll? I think we're back in the #5-8 middle-of-the-pack "comfort zone."

Comment

I believe the pre-season top 6 will look like:
      1 - Cornell
      2 - Union
      3 - Princeton (possibly #4)
      4 - Harvard (possibly #3)
      5 - Clarkson (possibly #6)
      6 - Quinnipiac (possibly #5)

SLU and RPI will duke it out for #12.

Comment

1) Cornell
        2) Clarkson
        3) Princeton
        4) Yale
        5) Harvard
        6) Union
        7) Dartmouth
        8) Quinnipiac
        9) Colgate
        10-12) Brown, RPI, SLU (in no particular order)

Comment

Originally posted by CheelFaithful92 View Post
          I believe the pre-season top 6 will look like:
          1 - Cornell
          2 - Union
          3 - Princeton (possibly #4)
          4 - Harvard (possibly #3)
          5 - Clarkson (possibly #6)
          6 - Quinnipiac (possibly #5)

SLU and RPI will duke it out for #12.
          I would be very surprised if Tech is outside the top three this year. Princeton and Cornell are the only two teams I could see ahead of us in a weaker ECAC next year. Tech, Cornell and Princeton should hold the top spots, 4-10 is a crapshoot and 11/12 like you said should be SLU/RPI.

Comment

Originally posted by NCNYHockey9 View Post

I would be very surprised if Tech is outside the top three this year. Princeton and Cornell are the only two teams I could see ahead of us in a weaker ECAC next year. Tech, Cornell and Princeton should hold the top spots, 4-10 is a crapshoot and 11/12 like you said should be SLU/RPI.
            Union returns a lot of scoring, they will probably have 4 guys go 30+ this year, and lost 1 or 2 defensemen.. They return a great goalie in Kupsky. I just don't see Clarkson garnering a spot any higher then 4th, again...just a feeling i have...That is not to say that I doubt them, I do not. I see them as a #2 or #3, personally.

From the outside looking in, Clarkson kinda lost a lot of pieces. The D core will be a big "?." We all know they return a ton of talent and I expect a top 20 team as well as another trip to Lake Placid, but will the league see that?

Edit* - Having now read the possibility that TPB may not be available for Harvard this year, that is a huge blow for them! He was going to be counted on heavily to lead the O... Having read that, it may sway me to change my prediction:

1 - Cornell
            2 - Union
            3 - Princeton
            4- Clarkson
            5- Harvard
            6- Quinny
            Last edited by CheelFaithful92; 09-19-2018, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Pre-season Coaches Poll:

1. Cornell (8) 117

2. Princeton (4) 106

3. Union 97

4. Clarkson 92

5. Harvard 89

6. Yale 64

7. Quinnipiac 63

8. Dartmouth 54

9. Colgate 36

T-10. RPI 28

T-10. St. Lawrence 28

12. Brown 18

Media Poll:
              Last edited by Drew; 09-19-2018, 02:02 PM.
              2013 Pick to Click Champion

Comment

I have Clarkson where they are because I think this recruiting class being brought in will end up extending our window of opportunity and lead us one step closer to being a sustainable power, at least for the time being. Losing Dickinson and Rempal was never going to be ideal but solidifying the forward group with Callin, Campoli, Cooper back from injury, Dunne, Klack, Tisdale, Tsekos gives us a different look, Gareau, Gervais, Pierog were some of the toughest players in college hockey to play against but it was rare they provided secondary scoring. Even if we suffer an unfortunate injury to the forward group the next man up is not going to be a bad option and scoring on paper looks to run 3 lines deep, this should also take some weight off our special teams to produce at the same rate as last season.

Down the middle at center and our defense will be the biggest question marks, losing Dickinson, Gervais, Pierog who all played down the middle could create some early season struggles with having a lot of younger players carrying more responsibility while adjusting to the college game. I believe Dunne would be great with Jacome and they'd create similar production to what Dickinson and Jacome had last season, Campoli played center last year but I believe he could slide in and produce goals from the wing as well. Tisdale has a great 200 foot game and still can produce offensively and on the PP so it will be interesting to see who earns the trust of the staff. Defensively Hurley and Underwood are going to have to show something right off the bat and I think that's why they were brought in, I have high hopes for Hurley especially in terms of running the PP and seeing how he handles that. Astren, Moro, Thow all should be every night guys, I think you can add Hurley to that bunch, that leaves Kuzmeski, McCarthy, Schneider, Underwood fighting for the last two spots, they probably will all get time early on and they'll need to impress in those showings. The Penn State games are crucial right off the bat with those games having huge potential for a quality road win which means so much in the Pairwise so we will see who our coaches have trust in early on.

Comment

Well the 2018-19 roster is now up and there are a few surprises on it.

Comment

Few things stood out to me

- Brian Hurley being 6'1 225 is impressive as a freshman
                    - It is disappointing Tsekos is not eligible immediately, one would think he'd still have two years of eligibility still remaining
                    - Bringing in Oldham is interesting and only time will tell if it's a good move, he was heavily recruited and was drafted in the 6th round of 2015 by Tampa Bay in large part due to his 6'4 frame, I don't believe his struggles at Omaha will carry over and with a year to settle in before getting meaningful game action he will probably be the favorite to be our #1 next season
                    - It tells me Bischel is no longer in the cards or something is going on with Janzen or Latinovich leaving because there's just no point in carrying 4 goalies if they're all eligible next season
                    - Indicates this is probably the last season we will see of Kielly, hopefully it's a good one

I think it's a bit concerning to only have 8 defensemen and that's where we will have a lot of questions this season, Hurley looks the part and him alongside Astren, Moro, Thow that seems to be a solid top 4, we've seen glimpses from Kuzmeski and Schneider over the years and McCarthy didn't have many opportunities so this is a crucial year for him. Underwood will also get his chance to impress, injuries are inevitable as well so hopefully this defensive group proves me wrong and there are no questions to be asked at all. Offensively we are going to be playing a lot of freshmen up front, I just can't see a lineup where Campoli, Dunne, Tisdale aren't heavily involved and then Callin and Klack are very reliable two-way guys who can still produce offensively.

Comment

Last year in the Gate series, Karjalainen took a seat after a dreadful game 1. Schneider stepped in and played what I thought was an outstanding Game 2 and 3. He was a great great stay-at-home shut down D man, and brought a very physical game, something we will need in the back end. He played pretty decent in Placid as well. Iím expecting him to step up and be a big part of the D core this year.

Comment

Originally posted by CheelFaithful92 View Post
                        Last year in the Gate series, Karjalainen took a seat after a dreadful game 1. Schneider stepped in and played what I thought was an outstanding Game 2 and 3. He was a great great stay-at-home shut down D man, and brought a very physical game, something we will need in the back end. He played pretty decent in Placid as well. Iím expecting him to step up and be a big part of the D core this year.
                        Hope so, he is a great penalty killer and you are correct he has a great influence in his own end and is someone that is hard to play against. I saw improvements with his skating last season compared to his freshman year and I would expect the same this season along with some progress when he has the puck. It's all going to come down to who takes advantage of their opportunity, there are probably some limitations with this group in terms of points and I see no clear cut 30 point guy with this group like Amorosa and Summers last season but that'll most likely come down to how successful the PP units are. This group can be similar to what Clarkson looked like during the whole first half last season minus that Minnesota series, taking space away, being extremely sound on the PK, transitioning pucks in an effective manner to our forward group that may be young but will be extremely quick and talented. I expect big steps from Astren and Thow offensively and am hopeful Hurley is a day one top 4 guy.

Comment

Will be fun follow

Comment

In the USCHO poll Clarkson comes in at #17

Comment

If you believe the pre-season poll, #17 Clarkson has a relatively easy first half. Only teams in the top 20 we play in the first 15 games are at #16 Penn State and home against #18 Michigan Tech.

Comment

Did anyone notice Brown sitting just outside the top 20 among the other teams "receiving votes," with 1 vote. Interesting!!!!! Go Brown!

Comment

Working...
                                X