No announcement yet.

2018-2019 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This game is ridiculous. It's borderline impossible with our chances that we would only have one goal. Kielly and the defense have given up some terrible softies, but it should be like 5-5, not 5-1.

Comment

I find it strange the NCAA allows the extra skater and we dress 7 D with only 8 on the roster, really thought one more impact freshman was needed on the backend. Kielly wasn't on his A game tonight but Penn State got into scoring areas way too easy and there's only so much he can do, I think he will be fine but the defense definitely has some huge questions, Hurley very well could be our best defensemen.

Comment

Let's see, we come out on Thursday with some lines which I would expect have been practicing together for at least a few weeks, and play really decently. Then, come Friday. F'ing Jones comes out and decides that he needs to change everything around and the team looks all a-mess. I'd love to see Keilly just leave for the pros after this "exemplary coaching display". Jones never gave the team a chance tonight. Just sad.

Comment

Well...not a great night by any means. A tough bounces kind of night as well. Two abysmal defensive zone face off goals, big guy with a nice play in front, Juho pinching as the only guy back and the ENG were the five scored.

If if you watched the game, we missed a play (I forget the shooter) where the goalie didn't even know where the puck was late in the second. It hit the goalie on the toe of the skate. Sure, at that point we're still down two, but that would've given us momentum headed into the third. Twice in the third the whistle went while we were buzzing their net without the puck being covered. Nit saying those plays change the game, but they certainly wouldn't have hurt the cause.

Credit also has to be given to Penn State. They played a very good game tonight. Very few mistakes, capitalized on their opportunities, blocked 10-15 of our shots. I don't think it's crazy to think they're a top ten team, or at least that's how they played this evening. It's hard to go on the road against such a quality opponent this early in the year and expect to win with the young team we have.

Lastly, with six Freshman forwards, as a coach you have to mix up the lines early on in the season. You can practice all you want with line combinations, but it's in-game experience they need to figure out who works well with who. Now if we get to late January/early February and still don't have a solid 1-2-3 line chart, then it's time to question the line mixing. We also don't know who is healthy. Dunne didn't skate in the Guelph game, so who knows if he was hurt or something.

We we have a lot of promise with this team, it just may take a few weeks to get settled.

Comment

Another positive might be that we only took 4 minor penalties for two games, and one of those was for too many men on the ice, oh excuse me ... too many players on the ice.

Comment

Men drop out of top 20 now # 23 in latest poll

Comment

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Clarkson 4 Wisconsin 2

Great win by the men toknight. Congrats.

THE GOOD
                Goals by Cooper, Dunn, Charyszyn and Hurley
                Solid outing by Jake K in the nets stopping 26 of 28
                Star of the game IMHO was Jack Jacome, all over the ice creating plays

THE NOT SO GOOD
                The hit from behind on Sturm into the boards in the 2nd, should have been a 5 min major instead Wisconsin scores while he is helpless trying to get back to the bench . Then the referees take 15 minutes to figure things out, let the goal stand and then gives Quince a 5 min major and a game misconduct for leaving the bench. Thank god Nico is OK and came back to play in period 3.
                Other not so good moments were the 5 or 6 breakaways Clarkson could not capitalize on, especially the two in the third period.

Holy Cross tomorrow knight.

Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Overall, a strong performance tonight and an entertaining game to watch, except for the long delay that resulted in Quinceís ejection.

The video quality, while not HD, is at least watchable.

Comment

Vicb, I'm in agreement with your assessments but still scratching my head trying to understand two things - Dunne's goal and Quince's penalty. On Dunne's goal, on our 55" looking at it many times, it certainly looks like the puck didn't hit his stick but rather his skate which he clearly moved. Perhaps the officials had a better view from overhead - something I wish they could share in a post game because I'm sure that there are many Wisconsin fans not happy with that call.

The Quince major is the other. He was in the penalty box at the time and Bucky scored at 2 minutes after the penalty started. Watertown Daily Times reported that he came off the bench to get involved in the post-goal scrum but per the videos out there, it was Brousseau and Astren who were over with the Badger players and not Quince. Perhaps he got the penalty for coming out of the penalty box before the puck was dropped. Here's where the officials need to do a better job of explaining their calls - before we all go bald scratching and wondering. Quince was definitely not over in the scrum.

Over-all the team looked much improved and more hungry than a week ago in game #2 but they still seemed a little tired and weak in the first 8 minutes of period 3. With SLU beating Holy Cross, I would hope we have an excellent chance of getting to 2-2 with the packed house of parent's weekend tonight.

Comment

• WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[/b]

Clarkson 3 Holy Cross 1

Good to get this one on the right side of books

THE GOOD
                      Goals by Cooper, Brosseau and Jacome
                      Solid outing by Jake K in the nets stopping 25 of 26
                      3 of 4 on the PK
                      Star of the game IMHO again was Jack Jacome

THE NOT SO GOOD
                      I felt CCT was not as sharp as Friday (too many missed passes) and came out a bit flat in this game
                      Had another breakaway that could not be converted
                      PP was particularly anemic 1 for 6

Canisus next Sat knight.

Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                      If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

• If you're needing some good news, RPI is 0-3 so far being outscored 12-3. And for our friends in Boston, even with all the high draft picks on their rosters, BU and BC are both 0-3 also, BU being outscored 13-6 and BC outscored 11-5.

Comment

• Not a great effort last night but a win is a win, Holy Cross played hungry late and really forced the issue. I love our forward depth early on, Cooper seems to have really settled in next to Sturm and Jacome, those two have been great, I'm sure they'll want a few chances to bury the puck back through the first 4 games but they are both great players and look more explosive compared to last year. Campoli needs to settle, the OJHL to D1 is a huge step regardless of your ability, he's shown flashes and his linemates Brosseau and Egle have looked really good, Egle has been our best forward through the 4 games. Charyszyn and Dunne were paired together tonight and I think that could stick, both are great two-way hockey players yet they have the ability to chip in offensively, Jokiharju was with them tonight and unfortunately he didn't have the greatest of nights, maybe Quince on that line next Saturday? The all freshman 4th line is really quick, they can all kill penalties and with due time I think they can be a threat to score too, I'd say Tisdale has the most upside scoring wise but Callin and Klack are going to be fun to watch for years for other teams and as they get stronger I wouldn't be shocked to see them score as upperclassmen, regardless they'll need to be trustworthy defensively as a line.

Hurley is great, he wasn't at his best last night but you can still see the potential, he's extremely mobile yet is tough to play against in his own end, IMO he's our best defenseman and he will only get better. Underwood has a good stick and can move well, he's had a few nice passes zipped to forwards sticks through tight windows but hasn't been able to do that with consistency quite yet and over time after he learns all of our systems he could. Astren, Moro, Thow are going to have to be adding in offensively, that doesn't have to be in points but if they're getting pucks going north onto forwards sticks in good positions and we score off it somehow that's something that will be expected, those 3 plus Hurley and McCarthy have seen PP time at the point so it seems the coaches are handing out a lot of chances for players to take advantage. Astren hasn't shown any composure on the puck and seems to be out of control at times but he always plays hard and is a good skater so hopefully he leans on his impressive attributes and keeps it simple. Thow is solid, just haven't seen much progression over the first 3 years, now he has an increased role and over the course of the season I hope he will settle in. Schneider is very sound, just has had continued troubles when he's in possession of the puck and teams are starting to really amp up the pressure on him, McCarthy has those same troubles although progress was made against Holy Cross although there was a lot more space compared to the first 3 games. It's going to be a game to game process for this group, hopefully we keep winning, they build some confidence up and are trending upward for the stretch run of the season.

Wisconsin was a big win, I think that's a pretty solid team and they'll win plenty of games of this season that will help us later in the year, next season going to Madison for two will be fun to see and the Badgers will have a few first round forwards coming in next season so it should be quite the test as well. Plenty of chances to win big games with our schedule, Michigan Tech x2, either Minnesota State or Minnesota-Duluth, Union is looking really good early on too along with the expected good Ivy League schools that haven't dropped the puck yet so heading into that game 4-2 would be nice and it should be expected, Canisius and RPI aren't in the same class paper but there's not an easy game on our schedule if we don't play well.

Comment

• Congrats to Brian Hurley, the ECAC Rookie of the Week.

Vicb

Comment

• Nice win tonight..a little snake bit early and their goalie
                              played pretty well. Strong effort by Dunne, Kielly and the
                              D group.

Comment

• Originally posted by Knighttime View Post
                                Nice win tonight..a little snake bit early and their goalie
                                played pretty well. Strong effort by Dunne, Kielly and the
                                D group.
                                We were not that great...but got the win. We have had so many breakaways this year....need to convert !
                                2013 Pick to Click Champion

Comment

Working...
                                X