• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutothefrozen4
    started a topic 2018-2019 Clarkson Men's Hockey

2018-2019 Clarkson Men's Hockey

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ng-Process.php

"Clarkson assistant Josh Hauge, the former head coach of the NAHLís Fairbanks Ice Dogs, was contacted but did not apply or further pursue the position."

That's good news to start the 18-19 front if Hauge is staying, he's going to have future offers so hopefully while we still have him we can build off of this years success and potentially make a tournament run in the upcoming years, you never know if Brosseau, Egle, Kielly, Sturm make it to their senior season but it seems we have a nice window these next two years with a group that will be experienced because of how they played crucial roles as young players.

• BackyardIce
    replied
    Yes, that is the one. Missed it on the new thread! My bad

Leave a comment:

• ndlax
    replied
    Originally posted by BackyardIce View Post
    Hearing A STRONG rumor that the Men have landed a Graduate transfer that will be a solid #1 tender.
    Francis Marotte ? reported on the new thread april 13.

Leave a comment:

• BackyardIce
    replied
    Through 3 seasons at current school, ranks 1st in Goals Against Avg All-Time and 3rd in Save Percentage. Could be a huge get!

Leave a comment:

• BackyardIce
    replied
    Hearing A STRONG rumor that the Men have landed a Graduate transfer that will be a solid #1 tender.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Nico Sturm 1st team All American.

Leave a comment:

• Bill'70
    replied
    Greg Carvel D-1 Coach of the Year

Leave a comment:

• ndlax
    replied
    Great interview with Mike wrapping up the season, cheel and State of Tech Hockey.!

https://soundcloud.com/newsb99-3/com...nection-4-3-19

Leave a comment:

• FireKnight
    replied
    Originally posted by O'Flaherty Fan View Post

I can honestly say that in my forty years of watching Clarkson hockey I have never seen a worse call than the call on Nico in terms of overall game impact. I watched the play several times on replay and Nico did not hit him square in the numbers. As a ref, maybe you give the kid a boarding call, but to kick the best player for one team out of the game in a playoff game makes me question either the competence or the integrity of the ref. I know I have to get over this but I needed to get it off my chest.
    I watched the play over and over again. I even dug out the videos from the NCAA that explained their rule interpretations with the bland narration and sample videos. There is nothing in that hit that even approaches what they show as examples of a major penalty. However, the narration makes it perfectly clear that they want those hits out of hockey. I just can't see giving a guy a major who actually held up from hitting the opponent hard. Of course, it didn't help that the ND player played it up.

Leave a comment:

• O'Flaherty Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
    The NCAA provides guidance on the boarding minor v major hitting from behind every year. Every year it's ridiculously subjective. The good news is if there's a tomorrow, it wasn't called a DQ.
    I can honestly say that in my forty years of watching Clarkson hockey I have never seen a worse call than the call on Nico in terms of overall game impact. I watched the play several times on replay and Nico did not hit him square in the numbers. As a ref, maybe you give the kid a boarding call, but to kick the best player for one team out of the game in a playoff game makes me question either the competence or the integrity of the ref. I know I have to get over this but I needed to get it off my chest.

Leave a comment:

• cutothefrozen4
    replied
    The thing is we can't have it both ways, I would've loved Dickinson to stay and he's probably the only one of himself, Kielly, Rempal, Sturm that I believe still had more to prove at this level, remember all of the NHL products we used to have and how that helped recruiting back when we were a consistent force and that now is being used to bring in the modern day recruits that are not as easy to hide, this staff pitches the developments to the guys they are recruiting to give them a projection of where they see them. I hope Oldham is great next season if Kielly leaves early but if he doesn't Ethan Haider should step in and be the next great Clarkson goalie, I really like his game.

There is a lot of talent waiting in the pipeline but the NCAA Tournament mountain is very tough with our personnel on defense IMO, I really would like to see us get more mobile there and they have to show the ability to make a play, in regards to last night defense just wasn't very composed which led to a lot of long shifts after turnovers or failed clearances. ND was prepared for our defense pressing up on their winger and they just one touched it for an easy breakout and it resulted in an easy zone entry where Clarkson worked hard to get back and ND would just slow it down and setup low or ND would try and take advantage of the odd man. Another thing that was interesting ND was very relaxed on the penalty kill and only pressured when Clarkson struggled to setup the PP, the kill was very good though.

I'm very proud of the team to break through and reclaiming the Whitelaw Cup and that was another step for this season, with the parity in college hockey I don't expect much in the national tournament as anything can happen but success on that stage has to be the next step. With our recruiting looking to be in a really good spot (at least for the next few years) I will like our chances a lot more when we are a veteran-led team, reaching the big stage will never be a bad thing and it increases visibility for the young kids trying to make a decision where to go, hopefully next season we keep progressing and get at least a tournament win.

If Jake and Nico decide to pursue professional hockey early that won't be good for next years team but I've heard good things about Oldham and up front we will need others to take huge leaps along with having freshmen make an immediate impact offensively to support (hopefully) Brosseau, Dunne, Egle, Jacome, defense will need to have someone fill in for Thow who had an impressive senior season. I have a ton of belief with a forward group of the aforementioned 4 along with Callin, Campoli, Charyszyn, Collins, Cooper, Klack, MacLean, Tisdale, Tsekos. I'll wait on the freshman class but Romano looks special, Gosselin and Silye look promising as well and I'll have to wait and see on McFaul after he transitions into the college game but he's considered to be someone with a lot more upside then a lot of our current defense.

Leave a comment:

• Remember Walker
    replied
    What if.....

o Nico didn't step into that domer and earn his 5 minute, game ending, major?
    o Cooper and Astren were healthy in the last five weeks and NCAAs?
    o Josh stayed and improved his game to garner more experience this year vs. in a league where very few make it to the NHL?
    o Sheldon stayed another year for his real shot at the Hobey Baker and a DI Championship?
    o Liam Folkes decided at the 9th hour not to dump Clarkson for those ugly black-blue & white jerseys of Happy Valley?
    o Clarkson shot more rather than trying to be cute with the puck?

The team improved and it was an entertaining year. It could have been so much more if a few if's went our way.

Leave a comment:

• ndlax
    replied
    Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
    The Providence game wasn't nearly as disappointing as this one. Notre Dame isn't that good. They weren't that good tonight. We spent the first period trying to be too pretty. Sure, you need a quality shot to beat Morris, but you don't need to make 6 passes when you have good shot opportunities. In the second, we found where we could win the battles and control the play but we gave up advantage for quick changes, made critical passing mistakes, etc. In the 3rd, Nico's penalty took a lot out of our top defensive pair. Was it a major? Damned if I know. I've seen worse called a minor and lesser called a DQ. There's no rhyme or reason for the call.

The good news... the freshmen were really good tonight getting minutes they could have never gotten in October. This is the best freshman progression I've seen under Casey. There's some hope for the future.

To the seniors, Nico, Jake, and Devin, thanks for a great effort over your careers. You guys helped put Clarkson hockey back on the map.
    I don't think nico jake and devin are seniors.

Leave a comment:

• FireKnight
    replied
    The Providence game wasn't nearly as disappointing as this one. Notre Dame isn't that good. They weren't that good tonight. We spent the first period trying to be too pretty. Sure, you need a quality shot to beat Morris, but you don't need to make 6 passes when you have good shot opportunities. In the second, we found where we could win the battles and control the play but we gave up advantage for quick changes, made critical passing mistakes, etc. In the 3rd, Nico's penalty took a lot out of our top defensive pair. Was it a major? Damned if I know. I've seen worse called a minor and lesser called a DQ. There's no rhyme or reason for the call.

The good news... the freshmen were really good tonight getting minutes they could have never gotten in October. This is the best freshman progression I've seen under Casey. There's some hope for the future.

To the seniors, Nico, Jake, and Devin, thanks for a great effort over your careers. You guys helped put Clarkson hockey back on the map.

Leave a comment:

• vicb
    replied
    Originally posted by joecct View Post
    I've seen too many of these. Cut the crap out!
    Another NC$$ one and out. So disappointing. A good season ending on another sour note. Thanks to the senior class and any of the underclassmen that decide to leave early for the Pros. Looking forward to next year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X