Cheel Renovation Finally Happening

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheel Renovation Finally Happening

We've been teased about it for years, but the renovations of Cheel are finally about to commence, and are scheduled to be done by 2020. Highlights include an entirely new fitness facility for all of campus, a location for construction management students, and, of course, renovations to the arena itself. No mentions of a new space for the pep band are in the link below, but I would guess they will get a better closet space after the renovations. I have heard rumors of new hotels going in up in the Canton-Potsdam area, so I would be surprised if Clarkson is not announced as a women's Frozen Four host when the next batch is announced.
    Regarded by many as among the finest college hockey facilities in the country, Cheel Arena has proved to be an ideal venue in which to watch some of the best hockey that the NCAA has to offer. Now, nearly 30 years after it opened as "Clarkson's front door" to the world, the Cheel Campus Center and Arena is undergoing a major overhaul that will modernize the building's infrastructure and expand its footprint to add more state-of-the-art features to enhance programmatic offerings, hockey facilities and student life at Clarkson while also providing further economic benefits to the surrounding community.  

Disappointing that the renovations apparently do not include improving video broadcast and live streaming technologies (aka WCKN) for the D-1 hockey teams. I hope I'm wrong. I'm sure if you're there to attend a game, it's a great experience, and will be even better. But if you mainly follow the teams via the internet, we'll continue to have embarrassingly bad coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by dave techer View Post
      Disappointing that the renovations apparently do not include improving video broadcast and live streaming technologies (aka WCKN) for the D-1 hockey teams. I hope I'm wrong. I'm sure if you're there to attend a game, it's a great experience, and will be even better. But if you mainly follow the teams via the internet, we'll continue to have embarrassingly bad coverage.
      My understanding is that the plan was for WCKN to get an overhaul this summer. Not sure what will come of that. Besides the Cheel renovations wouldn't effect WCKN since they are located over in the student center (there is a cable that runs between the buildings under Cheel Lawn).

Comment

Interestingly, it appears it will be a double set of renovations of North Country D-I hockey arenas this summer, as SLU announced yesterday (one day after Clarkson announced about Cheel) Appleton will be getting renovated as well. I know its just a coincidence, but it seems strange that both schools would announce substantial arena renovations within a day of each other.

Allegedly part of their renovations includes improving streaming technologies, but it isn't hard to improve when SLU has had worse streams than Clarkson (camera that never zooms mounted at center ice with a shallow angle making it impossible to see the action by the two nets and no replays).
        St. Lawrence University has received two significant financial commitments that make plans to renovate historic Appleton Arena a reality. A $10 million gift from alumnus Tom Dolan '74 and the Dolan Family Foundation has set the project in motion. 

Comment

Mentions Cheel will be used during the 2023 World University Games that Lake Placid will be hosting.

Comment

In the pictures from the ground breaking are # 21 and # 44 for the men with no name on the jersey and # 27 for the women. Maybe they are incoming recruits

Comment

Originally posted by Bill'70 View Post
              In the pictures from the ground breaking are # 21 and # 44 for the men with no name on the jersey and # 27 for the women. Maybe they are incoming recruits
              #27 would be TT Cianfarano, #21 Josh Dunn and #44 Anthony Callin (see Twitter)
              Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
              If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Callin #44, Dunne #21 for the men, Cianfarano #27 for the women, a lot of the current players and incoming recruits have been on campus helping out with the hockey camps and that carried into the ceremony on the weekend, always good to see new faces coming in early and getting used to things, hopefully will help with the chemistry at least, that's one thing that stands out to me with the women's program, they seem to have an unbreakable bond that carries on long after Clarkson.
                Last edited by cutothefrozen4; Yesterday, 08:07 PM. Reason: Vic beat me to the #s

Comment

Working...
                X