Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019-2020 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Time to start a thread for next season.

If I understand what I have heard is Clarkson will play 2 games at Wisconsin and 2 at Michigan Tech. Am I right ?

Gonna be a long year next year but I can't wait for it to get started.

Comment

I mean the hope is that all these young guys/soon to be drafted guys stay 3 years at least. If this team had upperclassmen who left early there's not a doubt in my mind we'd be a national contender, it doesn't work like that though but if this last class and the upcoming one stick around we will be in good shape. Nico effected the game in so many ways and Jake as well, they will be missed but life moves on and we still have pieces in place to most definitely compete within our league. It's disappointing those two couldn't get a tournament win but they had to take advantage of their professional window. I believe there will be an intense goalie competition and I don't think it will be a battle between our three current goalies, when you get tournament recognition and have a good reputation of developing players to the pros you are in a position to strengthen your team in other ways than recruiting, the competition for spots in the lineup should be at a very high level which it may not help us next year but if the freshman and sophomore classes stick around then hopefully we are in a position to compete with the nations elite.

Comment

Originally posted by cutothefrozen4 View Post
        I mean the hope is that all these young guys/soon to be drafted guys stay 3 years at least. If this team had upperclassmen who left early there's not a doubt in my mind we'd be a national contender, it doesn't work like that though but if this last class and the upcoming one stick around we will be in good shape. Nico effected the game in so many ways and Jake as well, they will be missed but life moves on and we still have pieces in place to most definitely compete within our league. It's disappointing those two couldn't get a tournament win but they had to take advantage of their professional window. I believe there will be an intense goalie competition and I don't think it will be a battle between our three current goalies, when you get tournament recognition and have a good reputation of developing players to the pros you are in a position to strengthen your team in other ways than recruiting, the competition for spots in the lineup should be at a very high level which it may not help us next year but if the freshman and sophomore classes stick around then hopefully we are in a position to compete with the nations elite.
        Interesting take on our goalie situation.. It certainly wouldn't be surprising, just look at the women's team, bringing in another Ohio State goalie transfer..

Comment

Francis Marotte will be joining Clarkson for his grad year from Robert Morris, huge pickup between the pipes.

Also @ Wisconsin x2, @ Michigan x2, @ Michigan Tech x2 according to schedule thread on USCHO, dates were not stated but I've heard we open with Wisconsin.
          Last edited by cutothefrozen4; 04-13-2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Marotte's numbers have slipped each year. His best season was his first at RM Each year his save % has gone down while goals against have gone up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill'70 View Post
              Marotte's numbers have slipped each year. His best season was his first at RM Each year his save % has gone down while goals against have gone up.
              Robert Morris had a 3 year window from 14-15 through 16-17, 16-17 was his freshman year and they had legitimate teams so it shows with the inflated save percentage. When they lost a few upperclassmen they took a significant step back the next two years and it showed in his statistics with a below average team in front of him, with a good team in front of him (which I believe we are) I'm sure he can be a stable goalie and he most definitely increases the competition. Neither of the options will be on the level of Kielly but it brings in an alternative which I don't really believe we had with Jake even though Latinovich looked fine in his viewings. The bottom line here to me is Oldham put up terrible numbers at Omaha but has upside and the athleticism and frame to be the #1 guy but still has a lot to prove and this is a clear message to him he will need to earn the crease if he wants it, Marotte is a proven D1 goaltender and is a bit closer to home going to a great academic school so even if he doesn't get much time it's not a bad deal for him but I would imagine after maintaining the starting role for three seasons in a row he won't roll over easy.

Comment

Watching the tournament, I've really got to wonder how any teams are looking to match the top echelon of the NCHC. They are far and away the strongest teams despite a couple years where they didn't fare well in the national tournament.

Comment

Duluth is a powerhouse, they don't have to leave their state to recruit in most situations and have one of the best in the game behind the bench in Sandelin. The NCHC is a very strong conference and have schools that have a lot of resources to dump into their hockey programs but they beat up on each other, the Minnesota schools in that conference with St. Cloud and Duluth have a huge advantage and then Denver and North Dakota are traditional powers as well with beautiful facilities. Unlike the B1G in recent years I feel the NCHC has a good balance of older 4 year players mixed in with 3-5 guys that can really change a game all while playing at a very high pace, we will be seeing this more in the B1G with the coaching staffs in place at those big time programs especially now Motzko and Pearson are settling in, it seems for us we are finally finding that balance but as any smaller school would are going to suffer a bit more from early departures. We will be seeing this from Wisconsin who will have some elite young talent with a few first round picks coming in to complement a very good defensive unit, if they find a goalie that could be a telling weekend in Madison.

With that said I feel our window of opportunity is still open I just doubt it will be 2019-2020 season although it most definitely could, I say this because while we will have a very good upperclassman group there will still be a lot of freshmen and sophomores in the lineup. Now if Campbell and Romano come in day one and produce at a high level and we get stable goaltending it's a possibility but we are bringing them in early so hopefully Campbell and Romano stay at least 3 years and they develop their game and more importantly for them at the next level hit the weight room and work with Tad. I believe there's a goaltender of the future in Ethan Haider already committed which is a big piece of the puzzle who should come in to take the spot of Marotte in 20-21. Then as these young players like Callin, Campbell, Campoli, Dunne, Gosselin, Klack, Romano, Silye, Tisdale grow older we should be in a very good spot if they continue to progress and for some of them to already sniff success that will hopefully drive them more, of that group Dunne I could see leaving early, if Vegas wants to sign Campoli they'll push for him after his junior season and same goes with whoever drafts Campbell or Romano, unlike our recent undrafted early departures having these kids be draft picks all while coming in at 18/19 years old the NHL team will hopefully be good with them developing in college, obviously if they dominate the college game and don't have much more to prove at this level the conversation could change and those young kids could be gone in one or two years.
                  Last edited by cutothefrozen4; 04-15-2019, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I think next year there will be a lot of questions surrounding our team. You can ask questions about success all you want but in my belief top 4 has become the expectation and I doubt that changes, like how I mentioned last off-season the league was going to be very tough with the likes of Princeton returning what they had and Yale bringing in a good class along with a lot of returners but it didn't play out as expected and with what now has become the probable top four of the league in Clarkson, Cornell, Harvard, Quinnipiac did exactly that last season and should be projected to once again. Princeton will fall off a cliff, Union lost a lot of crucial upperclassmen, Yale loses Snively and others haven't developed along with shaky goaltending, the rebuilds of Colgate, RPI, SLU are crawling along at a snails pace. If anyone sneaks into the top 4 I'd say it's Brown who is bringing in one of the better recruiting classes in the league or Dartmouth who will be returning a lot, if only they can be consistent.

It's tough to project everything without knowing the incoming freshmen but we may have a situation where players could be moving on who were on last years team, up front we lose three with Jokiharju, Quince, Sturm, while we are projected to bring in five freshmen Campbell, Gosselin, Robert, Romano, Silye along with now eligible transfer Tsekos who is a proven college player. If we push out a forward with Robert most likely not on athletic scholarship then I could see a way the highly touted freshmen all come in. That's a scary forward unit that will have unlimited potential combos, I'd say Brosseau, Callin, Dunne, Jacome, Egle, Klack and a 100% healthy Cooper are mainstays in the lineup when healthy, that's 5 or 6 spots to fight for with returners like Campoli, Charyszyn, Collins, MacLean, Tisdale who all saw a good amount of action last season and the newcomers, I think our team needs to add a bit of skill upfront so Campbell and Romano would be obvious choices to start and don't forget about Gosselin who is a really talented player as well. When you lose Nico you don't just lose his points, he was just so reliable in all situations so players like Callin, Campoli, Dunne, Silye, maybe even a Brosseau/Cooper/Gosselin/Romano down the middle will all have to pick that void up as a unit. Now these line combos will be changing rapidly throughout but in theory it'd be beneficial to find chemistry right away and build on it. Brosseau and Dunne looked great down the stretch together and then putting Egle with them would make that a dominant first line, Jacome had early chemistry with Cooper before his injury so put them with someone like Tsekos who is a right handed shot, Romano is a right handed shot with a goal scoring reputation in juniors so I could see that as well, if they want to create more depth and more size balance you could put Jacome - Cooper - Egle and then Brosseau - Dunne - Romano/Tsekos, either way I'm good with any of our top 6 combinations. I think Alex Campbell is such a dynamic player I don't care about him being listed by Central Scouting at 150 lbs, I think he's another potential top 6 guy which will hopefully transition into a spread out top 9 as the season progresses with the young guys being integrated, Campbell should get PP time too. Maybe a Campbell - Callin - Klack line would work and it should be quite productive, Callin and Klack would take a lot of pressure off Campbell defensively.

No clue where to go for the bottom line between Campoli, Charyszyn, Collins, Gosselin, MacLean, Silye, Tisdale, they will all play throughout the year IMO but certain players will struggle to get in 10 + games and probably one of those upperclassmen won't be on the team if all the freshmen come in. I think Campoli was finally adjusting to the college game so he could be anywhere from the #2 center to bottom line center to out of the lineup, he has the physical attributes to help his team if he plays smart. MacLean was solid on the PK and was a consistent two way guy, not the greatest skater but he works hard and has good hockey IQ. Tisdale struggled adjusting to the physical brand but played great up at the ECAC Championships and was solid against ND. Collins had a great run but then lost out later in the year, another summer for him, he can skate which is a definite positive but had brain lapses at times. Charyszyn was a mystery, seemed to be battling injuries late in the season, never was great in his showings and didn't really build off a good freshman year. Gosselin is super skilled and can play with a mean streak despite his size, wouldn't shock me at all if he's in the lineup over a lot of the guys that played last year. Silye will be a great 4 year guy here and can produce offensively but is at his best when he's playing 200 feet and usually matched up against other BCHL teams top lines.

Our defense is interesting to look at, it doesn't seem Ginnetti really was thought of as someone who could make an impact, just someone who could give us a backup option so he's the only returner or incoming player I don't know about in terms of playing time. If Moro can build off that great season then that's a huge thing for us, offensive output from the defense will be needed. Astren coming back will help if he comes back and plays smart. Kuzmeski and McCarthy seemed to have great chemistry on the PP but were a bit too relaxed at times, they had a few defensive breakdowns late in the year that were baffling, it was both the first year they were getting consistent ice time so hopefully they can build off of that. Schneider rapidly improved from his SO year to his JR year and I think he continues to become more confident in his final year. Hurley and Underwood will both be crucial and should continue to grow into great college defensemen. McFaul I think will push for time and will benefit from playing with better players but you'd have to assume he's a 7th/8th D type unless he really impresses in his showings. It's going to be a very experienced group which is always helpful when it matters most, a lot of these guys have played meaningful games in the ECAC Tournament and on the national stage and it can only help.

There's so much that is unknown with our goaltending situation but one of Latinovich/Marotte/Oldham will be good enough for us to be a consistent top 20 team IMO but if one of them wins the job and becomes a good sound college goalie then that could push us over the hump, those will be intense practice sessions I'm sure and hopefully that can squeeze the best out of one another.

It's all so tough to decide but as everyone should know by now I love projecting these type of things but the overall message everyone needs to know we are headed in the correct direction in order to finally compete in the tournament especially with the mix of young special talents and the older core guys, I think we could improve our skating on the backend that would help us in the NCAAs as it seems to be a common trend in modern day college hockey that those types change games with their impact offensively. Our lack of postseason success was demolished this past season and that's hopefully a sign we can put something together in the National Tournament and matchups are so important, like for instance this year it would've been much more pleasant to take on Arizona State in my eyes.

Comment

Sounds like Clarkson might have one less All American to worry about this season, as The New York Rangers have acquired Adam Fox from Carolina in exchange for picks.. The general consensus is that the Rangers will be expecting him to be a pro next NHL season..

Comment

Originally posted by CheelFaithful92 View Post
                        Sounds like Clarkson might have one less All American to worry about this season, as The New York Rangers have acquired Adam Fox from Carolina in exchange for picks.. The general consensus is that the Rangers will be expecting him to be a pro next NHL season..
                        If the Rangers weren't going to sign him, they wouldn't have made the trade. He wasn't coming out of college to go to Carolina and he made that clear. The Rangers could have gotten him as a free agent next summer if they wanted to wait. He's a Long Island kid and wanted to play for the NYR.

Comment

Luke Mobley to join Clarkson for next season! WELCOME TO CLARKSON! Really excited.
                          Twitter post: https://twitter.com/mobes_15/status/1117842734260334592

Comment

Interesting first hour of the USHL Phase II Draft, Clarkson gets 3 players into the first round but then Alex Campbell slides into the 2nd round to Omaha and sure enough they take his brother in the 3rd round as well. It's probably best for his frame to fill out before hitting campus, he should light the USHL on fire next season if Omaha can form a good team. I doubt it's 100% set in stone and he will talk with the NHL organization that drafts him but the reality is his brother, Charlie Campbell is probably not worth his 3rd round selection so it'd make no sense for Omaha to do this if they thought they had no chance, it's most definitely an attempt to lure the duo from my point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoTech16 View Post
                              Luke Mobley to join Clarkson for next season! WELCOME TO CLARKSON! Really excited.
                              Twitter post: https://twitter.com/mobes_15/status/1117842734260334592
                              USHL PHASE II

Ethan Haider goes 3rd overall.
                              Ayrton Martino goes 12 overall.
                              Mobley goes 14th (doubt he is coming in 2019)
                              Campbell goes 25th overall.
                              Noah Beck goes 149 overall
                              Last edited by Drew; 05-07-2019, 01:50 PM.
                              2013 Pick to Click Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X