Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019-2020 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Time to start a thread for next season.

If I understand what I have heard is Clarkson will play 2 games at Wisconsin and 2 at Michigan Tech. Am I right ?

Gonna be a long year next year but I can't wait for it to get started.

Comment

I mean the hope is that all these young guys/soon to be drafted guys stay 3 years at least. If this team had upperclassmen who left early there's not a doubt in my mind we'd be a national contender, it doesn't work like that though but if this last class and the upcoming one stick around we will be in good shape. Nico effected the game in so many ways and Jake as well, they will be missed but life moves on and we still have pieces in place to most definitely compete within our league. It's disappointing those two couldn't get a tournament win but they had to take advantage of their professional window. I believe there will be an intense goalie competition and I don't think it will be a battle between our three current goalies, when you get tournament recognition and have a good reputation of developing players to the pros you are in a position to strengthen your team in other ways than recruiting, the competition for spots in the lineup should be at a very high level which it may not help us next year but if the freshman and sophomore classes stick around then hopefully we are in a position to compete with the nations elite.

Comment

Originally posted by cutothefrozen4 View Post
        I mean the hope is that all these young guys/soon to be drafted guys stay 3 years at least. If this team had upperclassmen who left early there's not a doubt in my mind we'd be a national contender, it doesn't work like that though but if this last class and the upcoming one stick around we will be in good shape. Nico effected the game in so many ways and Jake as well, they will be missed but life moves on and we still have pieces in place to most definitely compete within our league. It's disappointing those two couldn't get a tournament win but they had to take advantage of their professional window. I believe there will be an intense goalie competition and I don't think it will be a battle between our three current goalies, when you get tournament recognition and have a good reputation of developing players to the pros you are in a position to strengthen your team in other ways than recruiting, the competition for spots in the lineup should be at a very high level which it may not help us next year but if the freshman and sophomore classes stick around then hopefully we are in a position to compete with the nations elite.
        Interesting take on our goalie situation.. It certainly wouldn't be surprising, just look at the women's team, bringing in another Ohio State goalie transfer..

Comment

Francis Marotte will be joining Clarkson for his grad year from Robert Morris, huge pickup between the pipes.

Also @ Wisconsin x2, @ Michigan x2, @ Michigan Tech x2 according to schedule thread on USCHO, dates were not stated but I've heard we open with Wisconsin.
          Last edited by cutothefrozen4; 04-13-2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Marotte's numbers have slipped each year. His best season was his first at RM Each year his save % has gone down while goals against have gone up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill'70 View Post
              Marotte's numbers have slipped each year. His best season was his first at RM Each year his save % has gone down while goals against have gone up.
              Robert Morris had a 3 year window from 14-15 through 16-17, 16-17 was his freshman year and they had legitimate teams so it shows with the inflated save percentage. When they lost a few upperclassmen they took a significant step back the next two years and it showed in his statistics with a below average team in front of him, with a good team in front of him (which I believe we are) I'm sure he can be a stable goalie and he most definitely increases the competition. Neither of the options will be on the level of Kielly but it brings in an alternative which I don't really believe we had with Jake even though Latinovich looked fine in his viewings. The bottom line here to me is Oldham put up terrible numbers at Omaha but has upside and the athleticism and frame to be the #1 guy but still has a lot to prove and this is a clear message to him he will need to earn the crease if he wants it, Marotte is a proven D1 goaltender and is a bit closer to home going to a great academic school so even if he doesn't get much time it's not a bad deal for him but I would imagine after maintaining the starting role for three seasons in a row he won't roll over easy.

Comment

Watching the tournament, I've really got to wonder how any teams are looking to match the top echelon of the NCHC. They are far and away the strongest teams despite a couple years where they didn't fare well in the national tournament.

Comment

Duluth is a powerhouse, they don't have to leave their state to recruit in most situations and have one of the best in the game behind the bench in Sandelin. The NCHC is a very strong conference and have schools that have a lot of resources to dump into their hockey programs but they beat up on each other, the Minnesota schools in that conference with St. Cloud and Duluth have a huge advantage and then Denver and North Dakota are traditional powers as well with beautiful facilities. Unlike the B1G in recent years I feel the NCHC has a good balance of older 4 year players mixed in with 3-5 guys that can really change a game all while playing at a very high pace, we will be seeing this more in the B1G with the coaching staffs in place at those big time programs especially now Motzko and Pearson are settling in, it seems for us we are finally finding that balance but as any smaller school would are going to suffer a bit more from early departures. We will be seeing this from Wisconsin who will have some elite young talent with a few first round picks coming in to complement a very good defensive unit, if they find a goalie that could be a telling weekend in Madison.

With that said I feel our window of opportunity is still open I just doubt it will be 2019-2020 season although it most definitely could, I say this because while we will have a very good upperclassman group there will still be a lot of freshmen and sophomores in the lineup. Now if Campbell and Romano come in day one and produce at a high level and we get stable goaltending it's a possibility but we are bringing them in early so hopefully Campbell and Romano stay at least 3 years and they develop their game and more importantly for them at the next level hit the weight room and work with Tad. I believe there's a goaltender of the future in Ethan Haider already committed which is a big piece of the puzzle who should come in to take the spot of Marotte in 20-21. Then as these young players like Callin, Campbell, Campoli, Dunne, Gosselin, Klack, Romano, Silye, Tisdale grow older we should be in a very good spot if they continue to progress and for some of them to already sniff success that will hopefully drive them more, of that group Dunne I could see leaving early, if Vegas wants to sign Campoli they'll push for him after his junior season and same goes with whoever drafts Campbell or Romano, unlike our recent undrafted early departures having these kids be draft picks all while coming in at 18/19 years old the NHL team will hopefully be good with them developing in college, obviously if they dominate the college game and don't have much more to prove at this level the conversation could change and those young kids could be gone in one or two years.
                  Last edited by cutothefrozen4; 04-15-2019, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X