X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 10 picks (Tech vs Mich) for this weekend:
    No. 11 Clarkson at Michigan
    Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m.

Clarkson and Michigan each registered lopsided exhibition victories last weekend, with the Golden Knights beating Royal Military 7-0 and the Wolverines taking Windsor 8-2. Some good news for Michigan in that game was scoring by rookies Johnny Beecher and Cam York. These teams last met in 2017, a 3-0 home win for the Golden Knights. Clarkson was picked to finish second in the ECAC.

Drew: Clarkson wins Friday 4-2, Michigan wins Saturday 4-3
    Paula: Clarkson 5-2, Michigan 3-2

Comment

• I don't think we are going to see our best lineup tonight but it will give the young guys a chance to impress early and try to impress with an increased role, scary to start off the year with injuries even if they are minor, not much room for error on that front. Got swept at Penn St last year so it's not the end all be all but a split here under the circumstances would be fine.

Comment

• any one else purchase the big10plus then find out, no stream? typical BS from a bush league

Comment

• Yeah the stream isn't working, 1-1 late in the 2nd, if they haven't figured it out now then they're probably not going to get it right. I bought the monthly pass to include the Wisconsin games as well, hopefully they can show 3 of the 4.

Comment

• Pretty sad that once again, another fine institution can not pre-test all their electronics & feed to ensure that what one pays for actually works. We waited and waited and then instead of "starting shortly", we received a "technical difficulties". Can you imagine that happening at "The Masters" or any NHL game nowadays? No, they TEST to be sure. U of Michigan, well they still suck meat-chicken and the BTN got money for nothing.

If you read the fine summary at the UofM blog, they report that we won period 1 and then basically were dominated in the final two periods...based on all those new fangled hockey stats. Where was Devin Brousseau?

Comment

• Originally posted by Remember Walker View Post
              Pretty sad that once again, another fine institution can not pre-test all their electronics & feed to ensure that what one pays for actually works. We waited and waited and then instead of "starting shortly", we received a "technical difficulties". Can you imagine that happening at "The Masters" or any NHL game nowadays? No, they TEST to be sure. U of Michigan, well they still suck meat-chicken and the BTN got money for nothing.

If you read the fine summary at the UofM blog, they report that we won period 1 and then basically were dominated in the final two periods...based on all those new fangled hockey stats. Where was Devin Brousseau?
              He is hurt. Not sure how long he is out

Comment

• I see via Twitter that Tech wins tonight 3-1. Let's go Tech. The USCHO site has our game not listed, and shows us with two ties in the Pairwise ranking along with two ties for Michigan.

Comment

• Twitter and the U Michigan mobile site show Clarkson winning 3-1. USCHO and CHN show 1-1 tie and 0-0-2 record. USCHO is fake news.

Comment

• I got to attend both games at UM this weekend, and I came away feeling decently about Clarkson's performance. I'm still a little skeptical about the team (and the early-season poll rankings) after suffering such important player losses year-over-year (Sturm, Thow, Kielly to graduation/pros). But for a team missing those guys and Brosseau this weekend, Tech looked at least as talented as Michigan in both games, and had a few stretches of decent superiority. Whether that's a long-term positive depends partly on Michigan as a reference point. I don't really know how UM will turn out this year, coming off a so-so 2018-19. This series could turn out to be a meaningful barometer, or a blemish. It's hard to know.

Isolated to this series, I was impressed by the top returning point-producers, three forwards that showed a quality of play in line with their scoring talent. Dunne, Egle, and Jacome (not necessarily in that order) all looked excellent vs Michigan. Those forwards flashed their skill, and showed the effort needed to get into (and win) puck battles. Jacome and Egle didn't end up with any points on the weekend, but I can totally see how they ended up contributing so much last season.

Grant Cooper picked up the third goal on Saturday, and I really wish I could find a replay. From my angle (center ice, close to the penalty boxes), his tally didn't look threatening until it ended up in the net from some impossible angle. Clarkson were on their heels a bit in the mid-to-late 3rd period until that goal magically went in, and I'd love to watch it one more time. Finally from the skaters, I definitely noticed Connor McCarthy if only for his size. He towered over everybody, and seemed to have the skating talent and passing skill to use his size as an asset. I hope that continues - size without skill isn't necessarily useful.

Marotte got all the action in net for Clarkson, and I left feeling okay about his performance. He seemed to track and find Michigan's first shot almost every time, but then left a few juicy rebounds. He also made behind-the-net plays a little more exciting than I'd like (but I feel that way about any goalie trying to puck-handle). It's hard to argue with the overall outcome, though (70 saves on 72 shots in both games is pretty impressive). I'll certainly take "finds the first shot with room to improve" over the alternative ("gives up goals on the first shot").

On a team-level, Clarkson's penalty kill looked tremendous... although, the downside is that I got to watch it so often. Michigan only went 1/12 on the powerplay, which included some 5-on-3 looks. Clarkson took away passing lanes, and was quick to jump on flubbed pucks and turn those into zone-clears. Overall, I'd really rather Tech keep its players out of the box; thankfully, the PK held up its end of the bargain. As ever, I don't think every penalty was either warranted or called correctly (in either direction - Tech were gifted a few powerplays on Saturday), so it's possible Big Ten officiating might be a different flavor than what Clarkson will see in-conference.

Maybe the one overall weakness I noticed: Clarkson's ability to keep up with Michigan's speediest wingers. Every so often, the home team generated rushes with one winger simply skating the puck in wide around the Clarkson defense. Tech never completely lost those battles and only surrendered two goals on the weekend, but Michigan seemed at their most dangerous when those streaking plays started rolling. Whether that's something unique to Michigan's skater talent remains to be seen.

In terms of location: Yost is really tremendous. The exterior of the arena is picturesque, and the interior has an impressive verticality that gives games a larger-than-life ambiance. The crowd (students, band, and otherwise) was loud and engaged, and I'm envious of all the national championship banners. Ann Arbor the town is also quite nice. It has a palpable college town vibe (as you'd expect) and a lot of dining choices. I ate some tasty Cuban food Friday, and visited a wonderful deli on Saturday. If you get a chance to visit (or if Clarkson ever plays at Michigan again) I think it's worth the trip.

Here's to hoping this is the start of another good season for Clarkson!

Comment

• Thanks for the words Zeke. It's hard to tell on the radio, even with Mike being a good play caller.

You mentioned the speedy forwards from Michigan and that was one of our issues last year as well. We struggled even against some of the speedier teams in the ECAC, even if Tech had better talent. I think that absolutely led to some overuse of Moro as a defender, although I don't know if the TOI numbers show it, I think the situations were more of a telling factor. With that as a known concern, and clearly Casey isn't blind to it, I think you'll see a bit more of an eye to discipline in the coming weeks which should help the penalty numbers and the defensive breaks. The Casey style takes some time for freshmen to learn but he seems to have a good buy in from the upper class men, so that should help.

On aanother note, the weekly XM college hockey show had Brekke as a guest this week. We didn't hear a lot of him at Tech but he really sounds like the right fit for the Saints and if anyone can fix that mess, I think he's got the right attitude going in. Although we don't want our friends in Canton to be "that" good, a strong program up the street is to our benefit on ECAC weekends. Hopefully we haven't lost too much from our brain trust in losing him.

Comment

• It is tough to tell with listening to Mike, he does a great job but there's only so much of the picture he can paint but it sounded to me we were a Tsekos empty netter away from a 4 point sweep. Only could watch Saturday because of the BTN+ issues Friday night but I was very impressed with Marotte, he could've had two shutouts on the weekend, especially Friday night, that was a very flukey goal for the Wolverines, when he had a minor error here or there the team defense really helped him out by clearing the front of the net out very well. Michigan did use their speed in spurts but mostly were kept to the outside and never got into scoring areas very easy. I've expressed my want for a true puck moving 30-40 point guy from the backend who can QB a PP but obviously those are rare breeds and tough for a program like us to secure a commitment from, but this unit as a collective whole is very experienced and they know what is expected of them, the young guns of Providence and more so of Wisconsin will be very telling matchups, Tech won't face forward units like those for the rest of the season until potential postseason play. I thought Dunne was a dominant player in what I saw in game 2, this could be our last year of him. Tsekos plays in all situations and plays very hard along with a creative flair that was much needed, he got in great areas but the end product hopefully will get better as the season goes on, credit to Mann the Michigan goaltender he was solid on the weekend as well. I thought Egle and Jacome were good and creating a lot of chances, just nothing came of it on the scoresheet, in order for us to be an elite team we need those two to score goals, I feel Jacome especially gets so many chances because of his hard work but isn't compensated on the scoresheet. Loved Romanos game and think he has the potential to have a big freshman season, especially if playing with Dunne and you'd think one of either Brosseau or Jacome would be the winger on that line and maybe move Klack with Callin and Cooper who would create one hell of a 3rd/4th line. You have to love the Grant Cooper story, his work ethic to come back from these season ending injuries is very impressive and he continues to just find ways to score goals. Overall what you saw Saturday night is what has to happen with our scoring, Tisdale getting his first career goal building off of his impressive game against RMC, Romano getting his first, and Cooper making something out of nothing to put the game out of reach, our scoring can come from anywhere.

Like zeke was saying the penalty kill was amazing on the weekend, obviously it's not good to be taking that many penalties, NCAA officiating always sets the tone with a lot of calls early on in the season and settles in as conference play starts so hopefully that's the case here. The PP needs to be better and Brosseau will be a huge help in that regard, I can't stand when we go offside on the PP and it seems to happen way more then it should for such a good group of players. There's no disrespect intended to any of the teams I don't think will be very good but if I were to rank our opponents it'd probably be a top 6 of 1) Cornell 2) Wisconsin 3) Providence 4) Quinnipiac 5) Michigan 6) Harvard, I could see Dartmouth or Yale surprising but I don't think Arizona State is great without Daccord and Michigan Tech isn't looking great early, RPI beat a solid UConn team so maybe they surprise and Brown could be average but Colgate, Princeton, SLU, Union in my view are terrible.

Comment

• Tickets for the game at SLU on Feb 8 are now on sale at the SLU web site.There are quite a few good seats still available.

Comment

• I shall be following this

Comment

• Not a great game but it’s a results driven business and that’s a damn good win, certain individuals had really tough nights, there were some positives too because they’re great players but overall it wasn’t their night (Brosseau, Egle, Marotte, McCarthy, Underwood stood out to me) and I mean it won’t happen much but the number one concerning thing to me was Marotte with his rebounds so I now see what Zeke saw at Michigan, it could’ve been a lot worse last night if Vermont got a few of the 50/50 battles in front of the net. I think the team clears the front of the net well but against a big Vermont team that was going to be tough especially in the grimy areas. Tsekos is a player, Jacome was awesome last night, loved Callins game until the idiotic 5, Collins, Dunne, Romano were also very good. The loss of Tisdale wasn’t great, the loss of Moro definitely isn’t great but he should be fine, a lot of day to day injuries currently, I watched back the 3rd period of Michigan and they were headhunting. Astren and MacLean seem to be the only longer term injuries, Astren unfortunately done for the season again so now we have 7 D, not an ideal scenario. The PP needs to be better, the PK looks very good once again with a lot of different bodies killing penalties. I thought McFaul looked very good getting regular minutes last night as well, there are plenty of things to work on but it’s a start.

Big test tonight, Providence losing to Holy Cross was a fluke and they are most likely a top 3 HE team in what should be a very good year for that conference. Lackey got hurt at Cheel last season and now returns as the probable starter for Providence, we’ve had a lot of success over him, hopefully that continues tonight.

Comment

• Did anyone else think they step back in time last night? That Providence team reminded me of the old UVM teams during the glory years of the 90's with the "french connection" lines. A few "larger" Forwards, with lots of black flies flying around, then strong goalie... They are a well oiled machine

Comment

Working...
                                X