Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice 5 to 1 win over Union!

Comment

• I finally was able to take a night off to see the boys against Onion. A few observations.

- Overall, the game was tight until the end but Clarkson controlled the puck for a vast majority of the night. Union is a young team without a ton of talent and they played hard (as many teams will with that target firmly on our back) but eventually ran out of gas.

- In general, this team is tenacious and they work at the puck. They never give up on a battle along the boards and they won a good number of the loose pucks on open ice too.

- Despite the complement about their work at the puck, they still made a number of defensive mistakes, the kinds of mistakes a better club than Union will deposit in the net. I'm not sure what Casey was trying to do with the extra defenseman, but McFaul just didn't seem to fit in wherever he was plugged into the lineup. I think they need to keep the pairings together to develop chemistry. Twice in the game, Union was able to bottle up Clarkson in their zone and make a full line change but both times we were able to get a stoppage before a goal was scored.

- The Tsekos line with Romano and Jacome is going to be tough for most teams to defend. They may be the fastest line in the ECAC but they're also physical enough to mix in hard work with speed. I was a little surprised they didn't split these guys up (I think a guy like Callin would provide more of a presence in front), but right now they seem to really be working well. The guy behind me kept calling Jacome "the wizard" because of how he just seemed to be everywhere in the offensive zone.

- His name doesn't show up on the scoresheet but I think Brosseau had a stellar game. His leadership on the ice, his grit, and his strong work behind the opponent's net will end up paying dividends in the long run. On that note, I thought the line of Brosseau, Egle, and Dunne as a group was somewhat underwhelming.

- The goaltending... I'm at a loss to call Marotte anything more than adequate having seen him live only once. He doesn't take a lot of chances (as opposed to Hanson on the other side who the Union fans would have rather anchored to the crease). I don't have anything bad to say about him and I don't know squat about the technical part of goaltending, but I'm just not comfortable yet.

- I think Casey made an adjustment after the first lackluster power play to the 2nd. In the first power play, I'm not sure whether they never really got set up or they just didn't cover the points well. The second power play looked much better, though it didn't register a goal. The penalty kill was outstanding.

I said earlier in the week that #8 was a high ranking for this team and that Buccigross was outright drunk putting us at #6. After actually seeing the guys live, I think #8 is still a tad high but a ranking they can grow into in time. I still think #6 would be really, really, best case scenario, though honestly this year's NCAA I believe will be #1-#3 and then a talent gap to #4-10.

Comment

• There’s still a lot of room for improvement, if Klack didn’t get that one late in the 2nd it could’ve been a different game. Union just doesn’t have much talent up front, pretty drastic drop off from just a few short years ago. Tonight RPI scares me, rivalry game with them not having much success against us, they’re a veteran team and it’s a trap game with Cornell coming to town next weekend. RPI power play is up near 30% with our kill at 95%, if we will the battle of special teams I like our chances but that will be a difficult task.

Comment

• Bitter Sweet watching Steve Dubber kid in RED.....

Comment

• Weekend observations :

On Friday night "secondary" scoring came though with Gosselin, Klack and Cooper denting the twine.

On Saturday it was as if at the 12:00 mark of period 2 Tech left the building and a whole new group took the ice . RPI was the far better team from that time on.

Did anybody catch the RPITv announcer when he said " Clarkson lost one of the best college goalies when Jack Kielly left and the year before his sister Shea graduated from the women's team"

Overall the RPI announcer did a good job and praised Tech a lot especially in the first half of the game. TV reception on my big screen was top notch

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill'70 View Post
              Weekend observations :

On Friday night "secondary" scoring came though with Gosselin, Klack and Cooper denting the twine.

On Saturday it was as if at the 12:00 mark of period 2 Tech left the building and a whole new group took the ice . RPI was the far better team from that time on.

Did anybody catch the RPITv announcer when he said " Clarkson lost one of the best college goalies when Jack Kielly left and the year before his sister Shea graduated from the women's team"

Overall the RPI announcer did a good job and praised Tech a lot especially in the first half of the game. TV reception on my big screen was top notch
              and the comment only 2 american's on the team.....

Comment

• At last count I saw 8 Americans on the team.

Comment

• Clarkson Men move up one slot to #7 in the USCHO poll.
                  Clarkson Women move up one slot to #5.

Comment

• Kinda strange that pairwise has Harvard (3-0) first and Cornell (4-0) second, but the poll has Cornell at #3 and Harvard down at #13. Harvard has outscored three opponents 17-5 combined. Cornell went out to MSU and won two games though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill'70 View Post
                      Weekend observations :

As an RPI fan, I would still have to say that Clarkson continued to outplay RPI, but RPI did not roll over and play dead as Seth Appert's teams used to do when they fell behind a couple of goals. That shows that there is some talent on this RPI team and they should at least be able to earn home ice in the first round of the playoffs.-- a definite improvement.

As to the TV feed, I did not see it because I was at the game, but RPI-TV has been doing an excellent job for years. Someone over on USCHO commented about the SLU game TWO WORDS SH#$ Show for a feed. Does the local elementary school run this? Disgrace for a D1 school and a "power league" to allow this..: which I find impossible to believe.

As to the previous comment about Zach Dubinsky. I don't think that Clarkson was interested in him. He is of D-I quality but nowhere near his father's talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by ursusminor View Post

As an RPI fan, I would still have to say that Clarkson continued to outplay RPI, but RPI did not roll over and play dead as Seth Appert's teams used to do when they fell behind a couple of goals. That shows that there is some talent on this RPI team and they should at least be able to earn home ice in the first round of the playoffs.-- a definite improvement.

As to the TV feed, I did not see it because I was at the game, but RPI-TV has been doing an excellent job for years. Someone over on USCHO commented about the SLU game TWO WORDS SH#$ Show for a feed. Does the local elementary school run this? Disgrace for a D1 school and a "power league" to allow this..: which I find impossible to believe.

As to the previous comment about Zach Dubinsky. I don't think that Clarkson was interested in him. He is of D-I quality but nowhere near his father's talent.
                        Sadly it was that bad Saturday, I’ve listened to RPI TV plenty of times over the years and were always A+ productions. For this one though it started early, there was a lot of buffering which was shocking, then there was no sounds for a lot of the 1st. The camera person couldn’t track the puck all night either. I was told the soccer game took priority so that could’ve been a huge reason for the drop in quality? Commentator also mentioned Clarkson only has 2 Americans and commented Jake Kielly and Shea Tiley were a brother and sister goalie combination.
                        Last edited by cutothefrozen4; 11-13-2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• I know it’s a weird time to bring it up after a tough loss tonight (which in the grand scheme of things won’t matter, Cornell is a top team and tonight was a great game) but is everyone here ok with status quo of making the NCAA Tournament and success within our league? Or do we actually believe something can come from these teams? I feel like it’s extremely difficult to build a program like Clarkson up to where it currently is and that’s credit to everyone involved with the program, but with that said, once you are at that point I feel like there may be tweaks needed in order to become great. Yes the early departures hurt but that’s the state of professional hockey, if you get a chance it may be your only one so some kids just can’t pass it up and it’s every kids dream to play in the NHL so we really can fault them.

Watching those Cornell defensemen skate tonight was really something, yes they take risks and get burned but that’s a good complete unit for how young they are, Dirven more stay at home tough to play against, Malinski smaller, good skater, makes smart plays with the puck, Kaldis and Green, the proven players that are electric at this level, Mitchell a young big guy that could move, Cairns who can move it well but hold his own defensively. We just don’t matchup on the backend and it’s going to hold us back from being that great team IMO.

Schafer has adjusted, it’s a new age and maybe we are with our recruiting in the staffs mind, I like Beck, Power, Taylor for next year, I think the addition of Power was really crucial and he’s going to be a good one, Beck might need some time and Taylor just solid all around. None of those guys will produce goals though IMO, McCarthy’s goal tonight was the 2nd goal our defensive group has produced this season, where as Cornell have played 5 games and have 6 goals from 5 different defensemen. When Clarkson is playing their best hockey, they’re playing hard below the dots and possessing the puck well (we saw that tonight in spurts) but when your defensemen don’t have the ability to produce goals it puts a lot less pressure on the other team and they know they can be more aggressive on our forwards. When we posses it a lot things are going through the defense a lot of the time, forwards win a 50/50 battle, get it up to the defense but from that point on things rarely result in anything and if they do it’s because the defense got it back down low and the forwards make the play, that added dimension would make our team so much more unpredictable. Marotte has been solid and Haider is going to be really good, our goaltending should be fine for years to come, I just find it funny that’s what everyone was talking about in the off-season, the loss of Kielly but the loss of Thow may be hurting us more currently.
                          Last edited by cutothefrozen4; 11-16-2019, 01:02 AM.

Comment

• CU2FF, the Cornell game reminded me of a cat playing with a mouse, simply batting the thing around. The red defense looked large compared to our midget forwards for three of the four lines. Now don’t get me wrong, D-1 players in front of the opposing net do not simply just fall down on their own, but the “refs”, if that is what you want to call that crew, let the boys play and that has a huge advantage towards the more aggressive team, which Cornell was. Despite all of that, though, the team played a heck of a game and Galadja was the reason we lost. Now that is a future NHLer.

Our defense can not score when the offensive forward has the puck along the boards and skates out with it toward the defenseman bringing the red defender with him. We do not do a very good job of passing it back fast so that there is room to work with and get a shot off. That is a huge difference in how we play vs. the play in the NHL and many western programs. But I believe our weakness isn’t at D but in the size of many of the forwards...too small to win the battles and hold their ground.

Comment

• Forwards are cheating and way too high coming out of our end. Lots of turnovers high in our own end and in the neutral zone after losing a battle. Every teams D corps looks good when they dont get pressured. Count the turnovers and lack of zone entries vs dumps tonight. Tough to win when you lose the battles and dump it in.

Comment

• First Cornell goal, we try to rush up in transition off the face-off, Jacome loses an edge on a rush, Schneider makes an interesting step and now we are all out of sorts with our defensive zone coverage, against Cornell the Jacome - Tsekos - Romano line was fine offensively but defensively they struggled (and that for sure has something to do with the size of that line compared to most of Cornell, like Remember Walker was saying), Romano took Moros guy down low, he lost his battle, Barron tries to wrap it around, Moro was kind of in no mans land half way covering the point and the front of the net where as if Romano just went back up to his point then Moro could've been down low. Well it all results in the scramble in front leading to the goal.

Right before the second goal at around 6:50, you see a Cornell D step, Frank blocks the puck into the corner for our D Underwood who recognizes Cornell is out of sorts, Tisdale could have been flying up the boards leading to a potential odd man rush, instead Tisdale doesn't go, it's icing and yes there were line changes but ultimately Clarkson was then pressured in their own end and couldn't get it out until the goal. Most of the games against Cornell you're not going to win battles along the half wall, they kept things in really well, as does Clarkson when we are at our best. Then Klack completely misreads the play, tries to chip it up to Campoli so he can start going in transition but the Cornell D was right at the line for an easy keep in, and it was their best defenseman Green to add insult to injury. Then our two seniors Moro and Schneider are caught watching and let the guy drift in behind them, he has an easy five-hole goal. There were a lot of plays that contributed to that goal.

Third goal was first of all a very soft penalty on Dunne, there was no hook what so ever. Penalty kill was pretty well setup, Cooper makes a really nice block, they get some puck luck it goes back to them, the pass goes right through Schneider who should do better and then after a good save by Frank the rebound just pops out right to Donaldson for an open net.

It also needs to be said for how good the top line was last night, it'd be nice if they converted their chances, Egle could've had 3 alone, like on his first breakway it was a great first save by Galadja but Egle got the rebound and missed the wide open net. Ultimately Cornell was more opportunistic, I'd say Clarkson had the scoring chances advantage slightly.

Going back to our defense, with how Clarkson backchecks, every single forward has to be a 200 foot player in this system or at least learn how to be, now a player like Gosselin can do it but he's not your typical 4th line guy, I'm of the opinion if MacLean was healthy he'd probably be in that game just to bring his defensive zone play to that line. With our systems though it makes things a lot easier on our defense and goalie because of how hard it is to get into the middle of the ice against our team. Where the whole team is struggling currently are zone exits and that's on everyone except whoever is on the ice with the Brosseau - Dunne - Egle line, just because Egle is a zone entry machine and then Brosseau and Dunne wins almost every battle along the boards if we dump it in. The other lines don't really have that magic and the decision making of the defense doesn't help in that regard, sometimes they try to go fast when there's no pressure and no need but then they can't recognize when the quick passes need to happen, the Brosseau goal was the result of McCarthy moving it up quick and taking advantage of a Cornell line change, we rarely catch teams out like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X