No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astren says he thinks he “should” be back after Thanksgiving, hopefully giving us some depth on the back end. I hope so.

Comment

• Here's a strange thought (maybe too much turkey) but with the Clarkson men off and the Clarkson women in Burlington this weekend, do you think there was ever any discussion about having SLU play their games against Maine at Cheel?

Comment

• Clarkson and SLU have agreed next season to play an extra game at Appleton, because Clarkson gets 3 games at Cheel this season.

Comment

• Clarkson men move up one slot to #5 in the USCHO weekly poll (12/2/19).

Comment

• It might just be me but SLU just doesn’t do it for me anymore. Definitely seems like our guys get up more for the Cornell games or the Harvard games. Don’t get me wrong it’s a very important game because of the Pairwise but that’s about it. Maybe it was this way for SLU when we were terrible and they had success but I don’t know, it just feels different.

Comment

• Originally posted by cutothefrozen4 View Post
              It might just be me but SLU just doesn’t do it for me anymore. Definitely seems like our guys get up more for the Cornell games or the Harvard games. Don’t get me wrong it’s a very important game because of the Pairwise but that’s about it. Maybe it was this way for SLU when we were terrible and they had success but I don’t know, it just feels different.
              We were never as bad in the early 2010s as SLU has been the last couple years and they were never as good as we are now. SLU was trending in the right direction prior to the coaching change in 2016, but they never made an NCAA tournament and never played in the ECAC Championship game, while we only finished last in the ECAC once and bottomed out at nine wins.

Comment

• Unrelated, but my source of a post game meal back in the 70s has closed.

https://northcountrynow.com/business...cation-0271000
                CCT '77 & '78

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Unrelated, but my source of a post game meal back in the 70s has closed.

https://northcountrynow.com/business...cation-0271000
                  Not the same .... They were non-existent in the dam for decades then came back with in last 10 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hydra88 View Post

We were never as bad in the early 2010s as SLU has been the last couple years and they were never as good as we are now. SLU was trending in the right direction prior to the coaching change in 2016, but they never made an NCAA tournament and never played in the ECAC Championship game, while we only finished last in the ECAC once and bottomed out at nine wins.
                    Maybe you're talking about a specific time period (?), but SLU has won multiple ECAC championships and is actually #2 of the current ECAC schools in NCAA tournament frozen four appearances (9 times), behind #1 Harvard (13 times). Cornell is #3 (8 times in the frozen four) and Clarkson is #4 (7 times, last time being in 1991). Most recently, SLU was actually national runner up in 2000, losing 4-3 OT to Lake Superior in Lake Placid.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave techer View Post

Maybe you're talking about a specific time period (?), but SLU has won multiple ECAC championships and is actually #2 of the current ECAC schools in NCAA tournament frozen four appearances (9 times), behind #1 Harvard (13 times). Cornell is #3 (8 times in the frozen four) and Clarkson is #4 (7 times, last time being in 1991). Most recently, SLU was actually national runner up in 2000, losing 4-3 OT to Lake Superior in Lake Placid.
                      I believe he was referring to my post where I was referring to the last year of the Roll era and the start of Casey.

Getting to the tournament is very impressive, and very challenging. I understand there are levels to this thing but Casey has just as many NCAA Tournament wins as Carvel with SLU, those St. Lawrence teams also played in a time period where both Union and Yale were national champions and the ECAC wasn’t a dumpster fire like it’s current state.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave techer View Post

SLU was runner up to LSSU 1988 in the controversial title game where LSSU bumped their own net off intentionally.. I believe they lost in the semifinals in 2000??
                        Last edited by CheelFaithful92; 12-07-2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cutothefrozen4 View Post

I believe he was referring to my post where I was referring to the last year of the Roll era and the start of Casey.

Getting to the tournament is very impressive, and very challenging. I understand there are levels to this thing but Casey has just as many NCAA Tournament wins as Carvel with SLU, those St. Lawrence teams also played in a time period where both Union and Yale were national champions and the ECAC wasn’t a dumpster fire like it’s current state.
                          That was in fact the era I was talking about.

Yes, the ECAC is quite weak right now (half the conference in the bottom 10 of the KRACH, how do they even manage that), but this goes back to my original point of recent SLU games lacking luster since SLU has done very poorly in the weakened ECAC (and is a big reason why the ECAC is down).

Comment

• Originally posted by CheelFaithful92 View Post
                            Astren says he thinks he “should” be back after Thanksgiving, hopefully giving us some depth on the back end. I hope so.
                            The line-up sheet has him dressing as the 7th d-man tonight vs. SLU.

Comment

• Good win there, couldn’t be happier to see some scoring coming from defensemen, or defenseman I guess in this case. Very nice.

Out of town, Dartmouth gets outshot 40-17 and beats Cornell 2-1...

Comment

• It's really hard to tell how good this team actually is. Michigan and Wisconsin are young teams that we got early on but they haven't really improved. Providence has been up and down, Cornell is the only truly great team we've played yet and that 1st period still sticks in my mind with how good we could be. In terms of the Pairwise rankings almost halfway through the season have played @ 38 x2 (Michigan), home L vs 17 (Providence), ugly home W vs 53 (UVM), road split @ 32 (Wisconsin), ugly home sweep of 56 (SLU), road sweep of 58 (Union) and 51 (RPI), home L with 3 (Cornell), home W vs 37 (Colgate), road sweep of 55 (Brown) and 50 (Yale), then last nights win against 56 (SLU) again. Things were not supposed to be like this with Michigan, Providence, Wisconsin presumably all being good, and nobody could imagine the ECAC having half of the conference 50-60 in the Pairwise, that's Atlantic Hockey bad. With how bad the ECAC is we are going to have to navigate things very carefully, we have yet to lose to a team we shouldn't so hopefully that trend continues.

With that said that will all change very soon, Michigan Tech will want revenge from last season and they're coming in very hot. They had a tough start after a road sweep of Robert Morris to start their season where they then were swept at home by Fairbanks, split at a very good Bowling Green team, then they go 0-3 against #1 and #2 in the current Pairwise losing one to North Dakota and two to Minnesota State. Since then they went on the road and swept their rival Lake Superior, swept a home and home against another rival in Northern Michigan, split at Fairbanks, then swept Anchorage at home, so they're 7-1-0 in their last headed into our matchup. They only have 3 seniors, one in net with former Wisconsin goalie Matt Jurusik who has good numbers as their starter, 1.87 GAA, .930 save percentage. Trenton Bliss, Brian Halonen, Alec Broetzman all were impressive last season as freshmen, now they lead Tech in scoring, on the backend Seamus Donahue is a stud, Colin Swoyer and Eric Gotz are really good defenders as well. Besides that one Bowling Green win they don't have another big win, I could see us sweeping but will take a split.

Arizona State will finish up our non-conference schedule later on in the season, they just hosted top 5 Denver and picked up 3 points and the Sun Devils are 9 in the Pairwise. Arizona State will have huge two game sets @ Michigan State, @ Omaha, neutral site in California against Harvard, vs Michigan Tech, vs RIT, @ Wisconsin, they also have two game sets @ Brown, vs Robert Morris, @ Bentley/Holy Cross, vs Anchorage that they should do very well in, at least 6-2-0.

Comment

Working...
                                X