2019-2020 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill'70 View Post
    good video highlights on WHCA website click on Michigan tech game report.
    Those were GREAT video hilites. As many wide open in front of the net shots as both teams had, these games should have been 10-9. WOW Marrotte and Jerusik both made some great saves.
    Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
    If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

• Egle really has stepped his game up these last few weeks. Our in zone team defense continues to allow good teams to get in great areas to score although this weekend took it to another level, look at those chances right in the middle of the ice. The Schneider pass on the PK trying to go D to D is worthy of taking a seat but not so sure Kuzmeski is a better option after his Friday night errors. McFaul is really growing into the season. Astren had a roller coaster game but that goal was huge and if he can spark the 2nd PP unit I'll take it. Frank Marotte has been phenomenal, he's a completely different goalie compared to Kielly and Haider but he's great at what he does, ever since the Providence game I've had the belief he could cost us big games if he played like that but obviously it was a flukey night and they happen.

Going into the break at 8th in the Pairwise, have RPI (51), Union (56), Princeton (54), Quinnipiac (28) in a home stand to open the new year, with the rest from break, a lot of focus at practice on areas we need to improve, I think we could be 4-0-0 quite easily there. Dartmouth and Harvard on the road will both be good tests leading into COGO weekend with Arizona State coming to town who is currently in the 1st period with Michigan State trying to sweep them on the road, ASU is 6 in the Pairwise. ASU is very tough at home but they're a different team on the road. Casey stated in interviews before the Michigan Tech series that the 1st half consisted of a lot of results that could've easily gone the other way (UVM, SLU x2 in the non conference series, @ RPI, @ Brown, and now @ Michigan Tech x2) which bodes well going forward hopefully as a bit more consistency settles in hopefully, we should be dominating all of those teams for the exception of Michigan Tech.

Comment

• No so quickly there CU2FF. The track record over the last five years or more is for other teams to make step by step improvements throughout the year, while CU actually treads water or slips a bit. What was with all the line shuffle this week? Any gelling of those lines was just messed up. It is not like we are injured, as was the excuse in other years for those strange mid-season moves.

Some of the players on this year's team that were supposed to be excelling or team leaders do not seem to be coming to the table hangry each game. First to call out on their level of play is Greg Moro. He has struggled all year and has a shooting percentage of only 4.3%. Santa needs to bring him a 2nd half recharge. 2nd in this category is Jack Jacome. He's below his previous years in points and shooting percentage, and as a junior, needs a 2nd half boost. Next up three are tied - Nick Campoli, Anthony Callin and Chris Klack. All three have been underwhelming all season and none look as good as they were at the end of last season. What happened to these three? Can Campoli really score as he was touted? The last of the bottom is Haralds Egle. Sure, his game has improved in the past two weeks, so there is a sign of promise for the 2nd half, but the first two months were not what was to be expected from him and his shooting percentage is still on the low side.

On the positive side, our goaltender, Frank Marotte, shines the brightest. He may not have the shutouts that Jake had, but look at the play in front of him and that is the reason. I never heard so many "great saves" call-outs in previous years as I've heard for Marotte, and the highlights of the two Mich Tech games are proof of his stellar play. He is the reason we're where we are...that and a schedule that we seem to be playing powerhouses on their down years (Michigan, Wisco, Prov.). Another bright star is Connor McCarthy. After hardly playing his freshman season, he's been on a steady path of growth, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him wearing an AHL jersey next year - due to that growth path and his size. Devin Brosseau is next and is having a very good senior year. His play, sans Nico Sturm, hasn't seemed to slip and he's made great plays consistently since week 2. Rounding out those who've been at or above expectations is Zack Tsekos. Some weeks he has not been as stellar, but we all should be quite thankful that this player transferred in, since he's filled in the void on line two when Dunne moved up to line one.

Our SOS is killing us and it will not go in the right direction with the early Jan. schedule. We'll get no respect from anyone this year due to the EASYAC, as a whole, and our hope should be for Michigan, Wisco and Prov. to start playing much better hockey and take down some higher ranked teams in their respective conferences. Enjoy the break.

Comment

• Clarkson remains #4 in this week's USCHO division 1 national hockey poll.

Comment

• Good analysis, thanks.
            At the break the cellar dwellers in the ECAC (Brown, Union, Princeton, and SLU) are a combined 13-42-5 overall, just one win more than Clarkson's 12.
            Happy Christmas to all.

Comment

• My appreciation to the analysis as always, CU2FF/RW.

We are pretty critical of our D, but I have actually been impressed by the growth of our big D men. We do need more out of the Soph's, but the seasons has two halves so I hope also that we see a trend up. Jacome and Egle are both just plain nasty, and while it hasn't shown up on the scoresheet (to differing extents to their potential), i think it will before year out. Obvious shouts to #14 and #40.

We very rarely get any benefit of the doubt in polling, so why do you think we are at #4? I would put us around #8-#9, which is still a a very strong position. Considering our "self-analysis", we are either way overly critical or the fields appreciates something we aren't here....

Comment

• All Great input. What is the word on JC Maclean? When will he be back? I assume or read it is some type of injury? Anyone have insight.

Comment

• I honestly can't fathom why the pollsters have us at number 4. I've watched a couple of BC games and, as much as it pains me to say it, they are a much better looking team with some top end talent that should trend up in the 2nd half. We've seen the February swoon before and I guess we're all kind of waiting for it. Honestly outside of Cornell, there isn't a quality team in the ECAC (Harvard maybe but they lost a lot).

We were literally dominated for 60 of the 125 minutes against MTU. MTU is a .500 team (a good .500 team but a .500 team). I think the talent throughout the NCAA is spread out a bit more than it has been in the past and maybe that's why we're getting those #4 votes but I think our pairwise is a bit more of a representation.

Comment

• Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                    I honestly can't fathom why the pollsters have us at number 4. I've watched a couple of BC games and, as much as it pains me to say it, they are a much better looking team with some top end talent that should trend up in the 2nd half. We've seen the February swoon before and I guess we're all kind of waiting for it. Honestly outside of Cornell, there isn't a quality team in the ECAC (Harvard maybe but they lost a lot).

We were literally dominated for 60 of the 125 minutes against MTU. MTU is a .500 team (a good .500 team but a .500 team). I think the talent throughout the NCAA is spread out a bit more than it has been in the past and maybe that's why we're getting those #4 votes but I think our pairwise is a bit more of a representation.
                    I think the reason for being #4 is because of our record and strength of schedule. The teams we have played against may not be top contenders, but having to go to Michigan, to Wisconsin and to Michigan Tech and come out 3-1-2 is impressive. Those are long road trips and not easy. Then you factor in our other two losses....the Providence game was close and probably a game the guys want back after a couple of flukey goals. Cornell game was also close. Nobody has been able to completely dominate us and put up a score that shocks the polling committee.

I do agree, I dont see us in the top 5, but the top 10 for sure. Hopefully the February swoon stays away, but I would have to figure we will drop a game or two to someone we shouldn't down the stretch will put us more in the 10-15 range. Hopefully not, but I can see that happening.

Comment

• USCHO is an opinion poll, that in the end.....means nothing. We are 8 in the pairwise and that is what matters.
                      2013 Pick to Click Champion

Comment

• With how weak the league is I just can't see a collapse. I liked the adjustments the staff made with moving Dunne between Jacome and Callin, Callin really needs to get going if they're going to keep him in the top 6. The Klack - Campoli - Romano line has been generally very solid defensively but it would be nice to see them cash in on their opportunities. Tsekos is a smooth player and him centering Brosseau and Egle can be very effective. Collins has been playing great alongside Cooper and Gosselin. All four of those lines pose a threat and are tough to play against but there is always room for improvement. I wouldn't mind seeing Brosseau - Tsekos - Egle, Jacome - Dunne - Romano, Klack - Campoli - Gosselin, Cooper - Callin - MacLean (when healthy) or Collins. Either way I thought Romano was solid on the 2nd line and hasn't really done that much 5x5 since the switch with Campoli and Klack. I don't understand the loyalty to Schneider playing with Moro, McFaul is getting better and better IMO, McFaul - Moro, Hurley - Underwood, Astren - McCarthy, Schneider seems ideal, Schneider is a great PK guy as well and he would still get plenty of ice time.

If our combined special teams stays in the top 5 I wouldn't be surprised to see us compete for a #1 seed, college hockey is just not that great with a lot of programs struggling to manage their rosters between early departures or balancing youth. BC is good, Cornell is good, Denver is good, Minnesota State is good, North Dakota is good, for the B1G, HE, and NCHC though they all have grinds week in week out usually playing back to backs where it's tough to consistently sweep. Just using common sense and breaking it down in simplistic terms Miami isn't great but they went up to Colgate and took 3 points, Colgate is going to be fighting for the 4 spot in the ECAC. Merrimack and Vermont are terrible but for those two Hockey East teams we counter with Brown, Princeton, RPI, SLU, Union. No bad teams in the B1G, they'll just beat up on one another. It's much easier for the likes of Clarkson, Cornell, Minnesota State to take advantage of the Pairwise, North Dakota has such a cushion they'll probably be a #1 seed as well. With that said I don't believe we will, 2 or 3 seed and we will get a tough draw once again, if we are truly a good team it'd be nice to see us take advantage of this opportunity, push for the #1 seed and maybe we can get a favorable matchup of course that's not even a given with being a #1 seed but we will have favorable odds.

Comment

• Great to see Nico to get in a game with Minnesota tonight, they have some crucial centers out so hopefully he takes advantage of his opportunity.

Comment

• ECAC 2020-2021 Men's Composite schedule released. I belive the weekend the 13th and 14th have something to do with non-conference weekend with SLU.
                            http://elf.elynah.com/file.php/1/902...ngs_111618.pdf

Comment

• Anything on non-conference games for Clarkson? I heard something about a Notre Dame @ Clarkson x2 to start the season.

Comment

• What the heck ?

Tech loses 1-3 to RPI

Comment

Working...
                                X