No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was looking at the ECAC standings and it seems that if Clarkson beats Cornell and wins at least two of its other games they will get the 1st-seed in the ECAC Tournament (on the basis of having more wins than Cornell). Their magic number for 2nd is 2 points (holding the H2H tiebreak over Quinnipiac) while for 3rd it is 1 point (guaranteed to hold the wins tiebreak over Harvard). Seems like 2nd is most likely and finishing at least that high almost guaranteed, but you never know.

Comment

• Knights earn 1st round bye in the playoffs. I got tickets to the game @Cornell. Anyone else?

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoTech16 View Post
        Knights earn 1st round bye in the playoffs. I got tickets to the game @Cornell. Anyone else?
        I'll be there. Section E

Comment

• The experts on USCHO say Tech is an automatic pick to win both games this weekend.

Sure hope they are correct.

Comment

• What happened to Frank tonight in goal?

Comment

• Bit of bad luck mostly, team played real bad in the 1st. REAL bad.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Casey every year seems to think February is the best time to shake up lines. We had our top 12 skaters healthy and for some reason tonight they broke up EGLE-DUNNE-BROSSEAU.

Lines tonight were
              Egle - Gosselin - Brosseau
              Jacome - Tsekos - Romano
              Callin - Dunne - Klack
              Campoli - Tisdale - Cooper

No idea what breaking up arguably the top line in the conference was supposed to achieve.

Moro had an embarrassing game, among his worst of the year I thought. Despite all that, if Tsekos had scored on either of his breakaways we may have changed the momentum and pulled it out.

McCarthy was just plain too slow for some of the Harvard forwards and was a spectacular -4 for the game.
              Last edited by daredevilcu; 02-21-2020, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• Well I mean, we are good, but how good? This team just doesn't feel like a 22 win team, but then you break it down. Clarkson is 11-0-0 against Pairwise teams ranked 51-59 with those teams being Brown (51), Union (54), Vermont (55), Princeton (56), SLU (59), the Vermont game was a one goal game we had to come back late and you could argue we didn't deserve (thank you Tsekos), @ Brown was one of the worst 3rd periods we've played all year and we were lucky multiple times to not lose that game late, both home non-conference SLU games were OT toss ups. I think our special teams are elite and can steal us a game any given night and tonight was an outlier in that regard but the reality is you take out those 11 games and we are a respectable 11-7-2 with some good wins and some not so great losses. We have a very solid foundation and system in place along with what looks to be great recruiting classes stacked up but we are going to need something different to get over the hump IMO, I truly feel it starts from the backend and getting a dynamic presence or two with the puck on the blueline but those are not easy to find and even tougher to attract them to Clarkson.

Comment

• For sure. Imagine if you replaced Kuzmeski and Schneider with Summers and Amorosa. This team would be a NC favorite.

Comment

• CU2FF, some of what you say I agree with, but some I do not. We've seen the CJ101 style of hockey, late season, now for 9 years with that type of line mix-up and I can't deviate south any further on that tangent. What I do not agree with is being an "elite". Our penalty kill has been pretty consistent throughout the year, but Marotte has made many critical saves in that stretch. Last night was a little different. Our power-play has been spotty and last night was really poor...that bump-back pass is just terrible as it stacks everyone at the blue line with no momentum to get into the zone to set anything up.

When CU gets behind early they have consistently shown for years that they can not bury three or four to even up the game. Mathematical odds are way against that when your team dumps and changes as much as we do and passes as poorly as we did last evening. Did it feel like we out shot Harvard by two? Can we control the puck on our sticks for more than 20 seconds before a change of possession? From our viewing group (4 Alum), we looked pretty much dominated from the beginning as Coach Donato now knows how to defeat our style hockey, as does our opponent's coach tonight. Marotte wasn't at his best, but this loss is split between the players and those in the suits who thought mixing up the lines would be a good thing. Perhaps this is how they practice, but it is highly questionable when the vast majority of other teams coaches do not do that.

As for the call-out on Kuzmeski and Schneider, both had pretty good games and Shane was one of the few who played with energy last night. Even the radio announcer called him out for that. Adding back Terrance and Kelly would not make this team any more a fav with the NC, because the style we play is not a style everyone in hockey really likes...mid-ice checking and hope to catch a mistake or two to get a scrappy goal here and there...and how many offensive zone players turn their back on offensive pressure departing the opportunity to skate BACK to the bench to change? It is almost as if they have a buzzer in their jersey which goes off and zaps them or something.

Comment

• Last night was Kusmeski's best game of his entire college career, I agree with that. The only reason I selected Schneider and Kusmeski as "callouts" was they're seniors, and I didn't think it would be fair to call out freshmen in that manner.

Comment

• As they have done most of this semester, Clarkson responds to a weak performance with a solid outing. The two points clinch at least 2nd for Clarkson, although Quinnipiac’s Friday loss guaranteed the Golden Knights at least 3rd and they would have clinched 2nd regardless with Harvard falling apart against SLU.

Cornell’s magic number for 1st in now three points. You would think they’re pretty much guaranteed to get at least two against SLU (but see Harvard), so a win against Colgate is essential to keep Clarkson in the race for the Cleary Cup. Beat the Raiders, and it’s a battle for the 1st seed on Saturday.

Comment

• Assuming Tech beats Cornell and Colgate and Cornell beats SLU then Tech and Cornell tie for first on points but Tech wins tie breaker #2 with 17 wins vs 16 for Cornell

Comment

• I have posted a new thread for the 2020-2021 schedule.

Comment

• According to College Hockey News, Clarkson has a 99% chance of making the NCAA tournament. I don’t think the odds were quite this high going into the last weekend of the regular season either of the last two years.

For this weekend, Clarkson will have to do something its men’s team has never done before if they want to win the Cleary Cup: beat the #1 team in the USCHO rankings (for all their success, the women have only done this three times in their history).

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill'70 View Post
                                Assuming Tech beats Cornell and Colgate and Cornell beats SLU then Tech and Cornell tie for first on points but Tech wins tie breaker #2 with 17 wins vs 16 for Cornell
                                18 wins to their 17

Comment

Working...
                                X