2019-2020 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hydra88 View Post
    According to College Hockey News, Clarkson has a 99% chance of making the NCAA tournament. I don’t think the odds were quite this high going into the last weekend of the regular season either of the last two years.

For this weekend, Clarkson will have to do something its men’s team has never done before if they want to win the Cleary Cup: beat the #1 team in the USCHO rankings (for all their success, the women have only done this three times in their history).
    Interesting - Clarkson is #10 in the PairWise, but the matrix had us #8. It says it was updated Sunday, but we fell from #8 to #10 on Saturday. So, I guess I wonder if it's really up to date.

Comment

• Originally posted by drs1990 View Post

Interesting - Clarkson is #10 in the PairWise, but the matrix had us #8. It says it was updated Sunday, but we fell from #8 to #10 on Saturday. So, I guess I wonder if it's really up to date.
      I believe the ranking is the expected final position for the team. Probably on the basis of who has to play who still (and how the tournaments are projected to shake out), Clarkson is expected to move up two spots.

Comment

• Assuming this or that to get to Saturday night's game vs. the Big Red, without really looking at the performance of this team throughout the year, is the downfall of those who assumed. This team can not rise above mediocrity and dominate any opponent. Rather, they play down to the level of their opponent and fight for every point in doing so. Much of the responsibility for that needs to be focused on the style of play and the suits behind that style.

"I didn't think our urgency was probably where it should've been", our fearless leader was quoted in the post-game interview.

I saw that after about 5 minutes of the game, but the chances were there to change that with the team all through the week and then through two between-the-periods discussions & a time-out which was not called.

Why is it we can't take teams below 30th in the pairwise and consistently defeat them by four? All year long we've heard just how weak the ECAC is and how "top" ECAC teams have poor SOS due to those lower ECAC teams performance. Well, 'gate lost to the 36th, 40th, 42nd, 52nd (twice) and 57th ranked teams this year, and CU's team didn't have the urgency to dominate this 43rd ranked team and score two freakin goals. And their goal tender wasn't standing on his head to keep us at one.

Sad, sad & sad. But hey, we didn't lose!

Assuming we make the NCAA's, which is still quite an assumption right now, we are a one and done team.

Comment

• Tonight is interesting. There is only one game where the outcome directly affects both teams playing in it - RPI / Dartmouth.

Clarkson/Cornell has no standings implications.
          Brown/Princeton has no standings implications.
          Harvard/Union outcome only affects Harvard.
          Yale/Quinnipiac outcome only affects Yale.
          Colgate/SLU outcome only affects Colgate.

There are standings implications for other teams scoreboard watching these games, but that's it.

Comment

• We must consider pairwise for NCAA seeding!

Comment

• Originally posted by BillG View Post
              We must consider pairwise for NCAA seeding!
              CCT was 10th in the Pairwise going into the weekend. We tie Colgate and are now sitting 8th??
              Wisconsin beating Ohio State must have helped
              Michigan tieing Minny must have helped
              UConn beating UMass must have helped
              Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
              If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

• @RW, they can't seem to get their ish together against weak teams.You are right about them playing down. That's a management issue(meaning coaching)."I don't think our urgency was where it should have been." Who in heaven's name is driving the bus? Anyone? So mushy. Sorry. It's the reason I didn't bother to go to the game at Dartmouth. It's been an annual issue.
                TCS '96, CU '00

Comment

• Originally posted by Remember Walker View Post

Assuming we make the NCAA's, which is still quite an assumption right now, we are a one and done team.

Well, given the CHN Pairwise Probability Matrix still gives Clarkson a 99% chance of making the tournament, I don’t think that’s really much of an assumption. As for one-and-done, that’s far more likely, but this team has a tendency to play up when facing stiffer competition. We’ll see if they do that tonight.

Comment

• Faceoffs have been a real problem lately. Missed Josh Dunne big time last night. We've got a lot of puck muckers but no consistent scoring threat. And Colgate out-muscled and out-nastied us most of the game. I would have used our time out prior to the own zone face off with about 30 seconds left, but hey I'm no CJ. The Friday night let down is getting to be a habit and isn't a good thing with quarter finals in two weeks.

Comment

• So many flaws, such little time.

Comment

• And in regards to who we’ve played this season, who would we even consider our best win of the season? We could get blitzed 4 or 5 to 1 in the tourney.

Comment

• Our 5x5 play is just terrible. I’m just going to say it, we are boring, if we win I can accept it but when we get in these heavyweight fights we look like we are just taking blow after blow and not throwing very much at all. The system needs tweaks, we are recruiting more and more skilled players but they can be hindered by forcing them to play within the system and naturally it limits their creativity because they’re afraid to make a play. It’s college hockey, we have a proven line and system along with a great goalie, I guess we could beat anyone any given day but the ultimate goal is to peak and rattle off 4 of the biggest wins of your life, I don’t know if that’s achievable currently if there aren’t adjustments and if it’s not then what’s the point of all of this?

Comment

• Jones keeps messing up the lines. He knows what works, he needs to keep what works. Rough game last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoTech16 View Post
                              Jones keeps messing up the lines. He knows what works, he needs to keep what works. Rough game last night.
                              so you know which are hurt? you know who has been sick? Ever think he may know the answers to those, so you don't play a kid as much on a top line that may be nursing something.

Tech is a D3 school in the middle of no where. Do I want to win a naty yes. But lets be realistic. Tough to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by ndlax View Post

so you know which are hurt? you know who has been sick? Ever think he may know the answers to those, so you don't play a kid as much on a top line that may be nursing something.

Tech is a D3 school in the middle of no where. Do I want to win a naty yes. But lets be realistic. Tough to do.
                                You’ve seen where Union plays right, it’s cliche but it they can produce a team like that, Clarkson puts plenty of resources into hockey and could as well. We also have a more then generous alumni/supporters base that allows us to close the gap. If D1 Hockey was all about resources there’d be 5 rotating champions, BC, BU, Michigan, North Dakota, Wisconsin. The only think you can do is give yourself a chance and get into the dance. We will be doing that for a 3rd straight year this season, with the EZAC back in full force we are in good shape going forward and recruiting at a high level. I’m not saying we will win one, but I’m sick of hearing excuses as to why we can’t.

Comment

Working...
                                X