No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Clarkson Men's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's understandable that the sentiment towards the team and the coach is on the negative side, I think it shows that we as a alumni group and fan base that is dying to see national results.

However this team has won more conference games, 16, than any other team since 1998-99, 18. More regular season wins, 23, than any other team since 1996-97, 24. And for the first time since the playoff format was changed in 2003, a Clarkson team has a bye week for the third consecutive year.

This has been accomplished with 5 major contributors leaving early Vingeault, Dickinson, Rempal, Sturm, and Kielly.

I will agree with the argument that we can not lock down top tier talent, but the coaching staff has shown they can produce winners on the ice with who they do recruit and can do it consistently for the past 4 years.

I want to see a men's National Championship as much as the rest of us, but I can not fault the system of the coaching staff at the moment. Cornell is a very, very good team and winning on the road at Lynah hasn't been an option for any team this year. We hung with the best team in nation for 45 minutes and then the wheels came off. I think we are the second best team in the conference and I'm looking forward to seeing us play Cornell again on the big sheet.

After that, I think we have a system and player in place to play competitively in the NCAAs. Last year Notre Dame wore us down when Sturm was ejected, we ran out of legs in the last 10 minutes and were ground down in overtime. Two years ago we ran into our old friend Nate Leaman and the trap. Which we saw on Saturday at Lynah and is what we can do to good teams, Quinnipiac and Harvard. In the NCAA it's really comes down to defensive system and goaltending, I think Jones has the system in place and Marotte is certainly a player who can steal a game. I don't know if we have to horses to take a championship this year, but I certainly can not deny the previous results.
    If I don't see you in the future, I'll see you in the pasture.

Comment

• Thanks Gobe. Couldn't have said it better. We are frustrated fans but there is zero questioning the results are by far better and more consistent than what we have had since the 1990s. Two great seasons with a massively overachieving team from a talent standpoint under Roll notwithstanding.

We could still be suffering through 2009-2013 and it isn't anywhere close. Casey was COTY last year - he isn't going anywhere. This team will straighten things out if they are healthy in 2 weeks.

Comment

• Two Great post by Gobe and daredevil.Thank you!.... Key word Healthy!

Comment

• When did we drop into the 40's or 50's in the Pairwise?

Comment

• Originally posted by ndlax View Post
            Two Great post by Gobe and daredevil.Thank you!.... Key word Healthy!
            Well said and agreed. As painful as this past weekend was to watch, it might prove to pay dividends going into post-season. You could tell the frustration level in the 3rd versus Red. If we had swept the weekend, could easily have seen that translate to an overconfident letdown in first round. We'll see what the team is mentally made of coming back from this. I like our roster, but we play in waves, and #40 has baled us out in some of the down moments. Regardless, we have to start burying pucks more consistently.

Comment

• What Walker said with a hope the Knights win one. I highly doubt it though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brett Gobe View Post
                It's understandable that the sentiment towards the team and the coach is on the negative side, I think it shows that we as a alumni group and fan base that is dying to see national results.

However this team has won more conference games, 16, than any other team since 1998-99, 18. More regular season wins, 23, than any other team since 1996-97, 24. And for the first time since the playoff format was changed in 2003, a Clarkson team has a bye week for the third consecutive year.

This has been accomplished with 5 major contributors leaving early Vingeault, Dickinson, Rempal, Sturm, and Kielly.

I will agree with the argument that we can not lock down top tier talent, but the coaching staff has shown they can produce winners on the ice with who they do recruit and can do it consistently for the past 4 years.

I want to see a men's National Championship as much as the rest of us, but I can not fault the system of the coaching staff at the moment. Cornell is a very, very good team and winning on the road at Lynah hasn't been an option for any team this year. We hung with the best team in nation for 45 minutes and then the wheels came off. I think we are the second best team in the conference and I'm looking forward to seeing us play Cornell again on the big sheet.

After that, I think we have a system and player in place to play competitively in the NCAAs. Last year Notre Dame wore us down when Sturm was ejected, we ran out of legs in the last 10 minutes and were ground down in overtime. Two years ago we ran into our old friend Nate Leaman and the trap. Which we saw on Saturday at Lynah and is what we can do to good teams, Quinnipiac and Harvard. In the NCAA it's really comes down to defensive system and goaltending, I think Jones has the system in place and Marotte is certainly a player who can steal a game. I don't know if we have to horses to take a championship this year, but I certainly can not deny the previous results.
                Here’s 2 cents from an old timer. I remember back in 80 when everyone was spun up about a good weekend for the hockey team and when we got in class, the professor who seemed like an old man to me at the time (Not so much now) said, “Clarkson Hockey, always a brides maid and never a bride” I can’t remember that jerks name but it annoyed me then an it still annoys me now a little bit. I’ll get back to this later.

Some thoughts and observations on the program. Disclaimer, I was never a hockey coach or player and only on the ice if someone needed a tackling dummy. Just an average fan who has a lot of fond memories of Walker Arena and enjoy Tech when they come to CT and thump Yale and Quinny.

I traveled to Ireland for the Belfast tournament a few years ago and was talking to a couple of a parents of one of the players. What they said about Casey and his coaches was revealing. They said the staff “really knew what they were doing” with a conviction that implied that the other programs that recruited their son didn’t. It seems like the recruits we’re bringing in get better every year. Seems like they’re getting the guys they want now.

The two games in Lake Placid 2 years ago (vs. Harvard and Princeton) were some of the most exciting hockey games I’ve ever seen even though we came up short. Last year’s ECAC win was a lot of fun especially because I was surrounded by Cornell people. Think about how far we’ve come since Casey took over. The Lake Placid trip is something I look forward to every year now with a realistic expectation that we make it there.

Would I love an NCAA banner? Of course! Especially since my brother went to RPI. The reality is that the NCAA tourney is a crapshoot. Tech and others have lost that tournament with some excellent teams that really deserved to win. (Anybody here remember Dave Taylor?) The 81 team was awesome too.

So was my old professor right? It really doesn’t matter to me as much anymore. What matters is that I enjoy watching Tech as much as I ever did (Thank you ESPN+), the players represent our school in a way that makes me proud, and I don’t think we’ve hit our ceiling yet. And who knows, maybe someday before I depart the planet, we’ll catch lightning in a bottle and it will be our turn to run the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by O'Flaherty Fan View Post

Here’s 2 cents from an old timer. I remember back in 80 when everyone was spun up about a good weekend for the hockey team and when we got in class, the professor who seemed like an old man to me at the time (Not so much now) said, “Clarkson Hockey, always a brides maid and never a bride” I can’t remember that jerks name but it annoyed me then an it still annoys me now a little bit. I’ll get back to this later.
                  Was it an Economics professor??

Dave Taylor was a classmate. And every March I remember the debacle in the Garden.

Face it folks, we're a mid major in the college hockey world. If all the cards come up right, we can make it to the Frozen Four. It will take a special class and a special player to get a banner.
                  Last edited by joecct; 03-05-2020, 06:49 PM.
                  CCT '77 & '78

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

Was it an Economics professor??

Dave Taylor was a classmate. And every March I remember the debacle in the Garden.

Face it folks, we're a mid major in the college hockey world. If all the cards come up right, we can make it to the Frozen Four. It will take a special class and a special player to get a banner.
                    Could have been economics but I thought it was accounting.

Comment

• Professor Bradshaw? Used to run the penalty box

Comment

• Possibly but I don't remember for sure.

Comment

• The Harvard / RPI series in Troy will have ZERO fans. due to virus scare.

Comment

• Colgate @ CCT next weekend.
                            Last edited by vicb; 03-08-2020, 06:48 PM.
                            Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                            If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

• Yale wins, Bulldogs to Qpac. Harvard to RPI. Colgate to Clarkson. Princeton to Cornell.

Comment

• So no Fans at RPI... Will the powers to be do the same at Cheel?

Comment

Working...
                                X