Fondest Clarkson Hockey Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fondest Clarkson Hockey Memories

I wanted to start this thread to hear stories everyone has of their favorite Clarkson Hockey members to pass the time during this whole situation. I have several, but will try and remember all of them and here is my list in no particular order:

11-0 win over RPI 1996 at Cheel
    1999 ECAC Championship Game at Lake Placid
    1999 ECAC Semi-Final Game at Lake Placid - Willie Mitchell's Game-Winner from Center ice
    2004 Spanking of Cornell in Game 3 at Lynah Rink
    Sweeping SLU at Cheel in best of 3 series. I can't remember the year, I want to say 2000. David Evans got a hat-trick and the building was just electric.
    Again, I cant remember the year, but my dad broke his ankle so we were able to sit front row at Walker Arena. No clue who was there to play us, just vaguely remember that.
    Various years, but when Houle, Pierog and Mitchell all broke glass at Cheel. Pierog's may be the best I have ever personally seen.
    2016 Game 1 vs. Princeton where we scored late to tie and then went on to win.
    2007 ECAC Championship game vs. QPac. You can all thank my family for coming in clutch on this one. We switched for the third back to the same order of seating we had the night before and sure enough the comeback was made complete.
    1997 - The Todd White Hobey Baker Hype...to this day I feel strongly that he should've won.
    2014 - Women's first National Championship. I was watching from my apartment going wild.
    Rattray and Gabel winning the Patty K award. Still doesn't make up for Todd White not winning the Hobey, but eases the sting.
    2019 Women win in OT to send them to the FF against Boston College.

I could go all day I think. What do you all have?

My #1 has to be 1989 - Mary D'orsonnes (sp?) scored with 3 seconds to go in the 3rd. Clarkson 4, SLU 3, in Appleton. I nearly passed out

Comment

I know the title is fondest, but I'll go with my 10 most memorable (I was in the house for all of them):

1. Women's National Championship win over Minnesota - what a goal by MacCauley
      2. Women's National Championship win over Wisconsin - great goals by Harmon and Mercer
      3. Women's National Championship win over Colgate - best goal ever by Giguere
      4. Mitchell's slap shot in Lake Placid against Princeton - overcome blowing a 4 goal lead
      5. Terry Conroy goading Bobby Miller (UNH) into a spearing penalty in next to last game of 1977 regular season, leading to 2 or 3 goals on the ensuing major. Winner (us) clinched top seed.
      5b. UNH fan carrying sign that day that said "Nobody stops our Cox" - meaning Bobby Cox
      6. Giving up 3 goals in last 3 minutes of 1977 ECAC semifinal against BU
      7. Losing 1979 quarterfinal at Dartmouth in OT when neither referee or goal judge saw Kevin Zappia's shot go through the net - I know the backup goalie for Dartmouth and he admits it was a goal
      8. Breaking the curse and beating St Lawrence in the Garden in 1991 Final
      9. Renata Fast scoring 10 seconds into the game for a 1-0 win over QPac in 2016 NCAA Quarterfinal
      10. David Leggio stopping penalty shot in OT at Harvard (can't remember the year)

Comment

Originally posted by mj77 View Post
        I know the title is fondest, but I'll go with my 10 most memorable (I was in the house for all of them):

1. Women's National Championship win over Minnesota - what a goal by MacCauley
        2. Women's National Championship win over Wisconsin - great goals by Harmon and Mercer
        3. Women's National Championship win over Colgate - best goal ever by Giguere
        4. Mitchell's slap shot in Lake Placid against Princeton - overcome blowing a 4 goal lead
        5. Terry Conroy goading Bobby Miller (UNH) into a spearing penalty in next to last game of 1977 regular season, leading to 2 or 3 goals on the ensuing major. Winner (us) clinched top seed.
        5b. UNH fan carrying sign that day that said "Nobody stops our Cox" - meaning Bobby Cox
        6. Giving up 3 goals in last 3 minutes of 1977 ECAC semifinal against BU
        7. Losing 1979 quarterfinal at Dartmouth in OT when neither referee or goal judge saw Kevin Zappia's shot go through the net - I know the backup goalie for Dartmouth and he admits it was a goal
        8. Breaking the curse and beating St Lawrence in the Garden in 1991 Final
        9. Renata Fast scoring 10 seconds into the game for a 1-0 win over QPac in 2016 NCAA Quarterfinal
        10. David Leggio stopping penalty shot in OT at Harvard (can't remember the year)
        5a, 5b, & 6 I was there.
        8. Have it on VHS somewhere
        9. And the video missed it.
        1. I cried
        2. Satisfaction
        3. Elation

And mj77, I have a feeling we are in the same graduating class.
        CCT '77 & '78

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

5a, 5b, & 6 I was there.
          8. Have it on VHS somewhere
          9. And the video missed it.
          1. I cried
          2. Satisfaction
          3. Elation

And mj77, I have a feeling we are in the same graduating class.
          Seems so. If I were to add another one, it would be:

11. Dave Taylor drawing three St Lawrence defenders to him in 1977 regular season finale to set up tying goal. We win in OT.

Comment

Something that you youngsters will have no memory off:

Beautiful Walker Arena in the 1960s with NO heat.

During a game vs SLU we set a cup of hot coffee on the floor beside our feet at the start of the game. 2 1/2 hours later Tech had beaten SLU and the coffee was frozen

Comment

Bill,

Walker didn't have much heat in the 70s, but it was some. Your comment reminded me of first visit to UNH arena circa 1978 - chicken wire instead of glass behind the goals.

Comment

Ok here goes not necessarily in chronological order:

Anything Walker Arena
                Bill Norton’s freshman year.
                Zappia shots from the top of the right faceoff circle
                Craig Loupelle blocking shots from the point by kneeling on both knees and facing the shooter
                Dave Fretz skating out of the D-end with the puck
                Steve Cruickshank on the PK
                Bill OFlaherty with one foot on top of the dasher screaming at players and/or officials.
                Driving to Lake Placid from Albany in a snow storm to see tech come from three goals behind and win a Christmas tournament
                Watching the 2007 Times Union Center Championship with my son
                My first visit to Cheel with Tech playing Cornell.
                2018 and 2019 ECAC playoffs in Lake Placid
                Friendship 4 tournament in Belfast
                I could go on but for now, last but not least, the guy who used to strip in the stands while the trumpeter played the stripper music at Walker.

Comment

Definitely the top 3 are the women's National Championships
                  The rest in no particular order
                  Walker Arena enough said
                  Rattray and Gabel winning the Patty Kaz
                  The women finally beating SLU and Hahvad for the first time
                  2007 ECAC Championship comeback against Quinny (I was there) CCT 4 Quinny 2
                  1999 ECAC Championship watching on TV at joecct's house Erik Cole undress the SLU defenseman and then 5 hole the SLU goalie for the game winner CCT 3 SLU 2.
                  1996 NC$$ First Round (I was there) CCT 6 W Mich 1, first period Dan Murphy stopping 2 breakaways and making other unbelieveable saves
                  2008 NC$$ First Round (I was there) CCT 3 St Cloud 2, Shea Guthrie with the winner in the third breaking a 4 game NC$$ Losing streak
                  1972 My First 2 Hockey games, CCT 13-0 and CCT 12-0 vs Univ Quebec
                  Either 1974 or 1975, Ron Dorgan skating in as fast as he could from the blue line and CRUSHING against the boards a player from Norwich and I have never since heard any player scream as loud as that guy did.
                  Willie Mitchell's slap shot from center ice with just a few ticks on the clock in Lake Placid against Princeton - overcome blowing a 4 goal lead
                  Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                  If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Standing on the top railing, holding onto the rafters at Walker (Wisconsin, Cornell, SLU games I remember well)
                    All of us listening to the radio in our house of the series against LSSU
                    Getting my first visit to Cheel with the Soviet Select team. It was ugly, but ooh the passing..
                    A Mark Green slapshot or check into the boards
                    Anytime Marty D'Orsonnens or Miko "Tiko" Tavi scored...
                    Hanging with most of the team down in Riverside
                    Seeing Todd Marchant on the ice the first time, thinking.. Hadn't seen a player like that since Janne Keikalainen
                    Any of the trips to Worcester for the NCAAs, although always went home disappointed, seeing that Kariya Maine team was amazing.
                    Last edited by MikeR; 03-25-2020, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Another Fond Memory
                      Listening to Con Elliott and Bob Ahfeld's play by play of the games .
                      Last edited by vicb; 03-23-2020, 10:23 AM.
                      Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
                      If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

I might as well post something.

Clarkson losing to MSU in the 1966 NCAA championship game after piling it on over RPI in the last game of RPI's season 16-1. (Not that they were the only team that piled it on vs.. RPI that season.)
                        RPI tying Clarkson 3-3 in December 1970 in Troy.
                        RPI defeating Clarkson and then tying SLU to get three points in a North Country trip in February 1969. RPI has gotten 3 or 4 points very rarely. I think that this year was the 4th time that we swept, and we have made the trip every year since 1951-52 except for 1958-59 when Ned Harkness decided that CCT and SLU had an unfair advantage each playing only one game that weekend. RPI did defeat CCT but lost to SLU that year.
                        RPI coming back from a large deficit to defeat Clarkson in OT in February 2002. This was one of the satellite broadcasts that the two schools ran. I specifically recall a Clarkson alumna or wife of an alumnus crying after the game was over.

I must admit that I liked Mitchell's goal vs. Princeton.

Comment

Originally posted by NCNYHockey9 View Post
                          11-0 win over RPI 1996 at Cheel
                          One of my fondest memories as well, although that game was actually in November 1997 I remember having fun with the TV character generator trying to get a 2-digit score in there, since the graphics hadn't been designed with that in mind. During the same game I goofed up and used the wrong font on the corner score graphic, which made folks' pictures at home look rather odd: it also showed the CG's font selector on the bottom of the screen

Another one I loved was Willie Mitchell shattering the glass towards the end of the 2nd period during a late season game in 1999 at Cheel (I don't remember the exact date)
                          Clarkson '00 (MIS) * WCKN * letsgotech.com

Comment

Friday, December 11, 1964

Steve Riggs and Dave Healy, who grew up learning to play hockey in Potsdam, were now playing for Colgate, return to Potsdam, to face a then-undefeated Clarkson team, which included the All-American Line of Corby Adams, Roger Purdie and Brian Wilkinson. I believe that Clarkson team defeated the Red Berenson- led U of Michigan team in the NCAA Semi Finals, but then lost to Michigan State in the Finals.

Everyone I knew wanted Clarkson to win, but were hoping that Riggs would score. It couldn't have been better scripted in Hollywood.

Steve Riggs scored a hat trick in 59 seconds, with the first goal assisted by Dave Healy. Dave had a leg injury and wasn’t supposed to play, but he wouldn’t miss this game.

It turned out to be the last game they would play in Clarkson Arena (later renamed for Murray Walker). They had been skating there since they were 9 years old.

September 3, 1968 – 1st LT. Seven J. Riggs was killed in Vietnam.

The new Colgate facility, The Steven J. Riggs ‘65 Rink in the Class of ’65 Arena is named for Steve.

The story is told here, better than I can:

https://news.colgate.edu/scene/2016/...s-ability.html

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                              Definitely the top 3 are the women's National Championships
                              The rest in no particular order
                              Walker Arena enough said
                              Rattray and Gabel winning the Patty Kaz
                              The women finally beating SLU and Hahvad for the first time
                              2007 ECAC Championship comeback against Quinny (I was there) CCT 4 Quinny 2
                              1999 ECAC Championship watching on TV at joecct's house Erik Cole undress the SLU defenseman and then 5 hole the SLU goalie for the game winner CCT 3 SLU 2.
                              1996 NC$$ First Round (I was there) CCT 6 W Mich 1, first period Dan Murphy stopping 2 breakaways and making other unbelieveable saves
                              2008 NC$$ First Round (I was there) CCT 3 St Cloud 2, Shea Guthrie with the winner in the third breaking a 4 game NC$$ Losing streak
                              1972 My First 2 Hockey games, CCT 13-0 and CCT 12-0 vs Univ Quebec
                              Either 1974 or 1975, Ron Dorgan skating in as fast as he could from the blue line and CRUSHING against the boards a player from Norwich and I have never since heard any player scream as loud as that guy did.
                              Willie Mitchell's slap shot from center ice with just a few ticks on the clock in Lake Placid against Princeton - overcome blowing a 4 goal lead
                              Vic

Ronnie Dorgan Fall 1973 v Harvard broke Danny Bolduc's leg. Ugly crowd that night. Bottles were thrown on the ice. Last time Harvard came to Clarkson until the mandated schedule

1975 ECAC QF #8 CCT @ #1 Harvard. Danny Bolduc gets a hat trick in a rather easy Harvard win.
                              CCT '77 & '78

Comment

Working...
                              X