Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Vic

Ronnie Dorgan Fall 1973 v Harvard broke Danny Bolduc's leg. Ugly crowd that night. Bottles were thrown on the ice. Last time Harvard came to Clarkson until the mandated schedule

1975 ECAC QF #8 CCT @ #1 Harvard. Danny Bolduc gets a hat trick in a rather easy Harvard win.
    I was there at that 1973 game. We scored a goal that I think went into the next and back out so fast that the referee's said no goal That was when the bottles were thrown on the ice. Really a crazy game and a drunken crowd.

1975 listened to Con Elliott describe that debacle in my frat house. A real bummer.
    Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
    If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Fondest Memories, in no particular order:
      1. Getting called into work the Walker Arena parking lot at 3pm & -9 degrees for the #1 RPI / Clarkson game in winter of 1985. By game time the temp was around -25 and getting into Walker to see a helmet or two didn't warm me up. Many season ticket fans got there early and walked to the restaurant just north of the lot to eat and "pre-game". We lost that one, but to see RPI's monster team was a thrill and the few extra hours of minimum wage pay...
      2. Watching Todd White totally dominate the ice in a 3 -1 CU win at Lynah with a few co-workers in Feb '97 & then getting challenged to a fight by a few "big" Red college aged fans. Our response, "What bragging will you have tomorrow in beating up some old men?"
      3. Watching Brown score on themselves at Walker during a delayed penalty where the puck took forever to come back down into their goal on an errant pass.
      4. Willie's slap-shot, 'nough said.
      5. Being at the North Dakota home games at Cheel in October, 1999 with my three sons, sitting front row and having Eric Cole come over and tap the glass and wave at my little boys.
      6. Albany NCAA's where we lost 3-1 to CC, but the fans gave a whole lotta love to Dan Murphy after the game (his final for CU), who stood on his head keeping the game close.
      7. Nick Dodge playing with a wooden stick and liking it.
      8. Clarkson dominating RIT in RIT's new arena opening weekend and skating away with a nice victory (& RIT's first loss at the Gene Polossini Arena).
      9. Defenseman slap shots from Dave Fretz, Brian Mueller, Willie Mitchel and Sam Labrecque.
      10. 38 goals in a single season by a Clarkson player (& 74 points). Yes, it can be done...just ask Todd White how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Remember Walker View Post
        Fondest Memories, in no particular order:
        1. Getting called into work the Walker Arena parking lot at 3pm & -9 degrees for the #1 RPI / Clarkson game in winter of 1985. By game time the temp was around -25 and getting into Walker to see a helmet or two didn't warm me up. Many season ticket fans got there early and walked to the restaurant just north of the lot to eat and "pre-game". We lost that one, but to see RPI's monster team was a thrill and the few extra hours of minimum wage pay...
        2. Watching Todd White totally dominate the ice in a 3 -1 CU win at Lynah with a few co-workers in Feb '97 & then getting challenged to a fight by a few "big" Red college aged fans. Our response, "What bragging will you have tomorrow in beating up some old men?"
        3. Watching Brown score on themselves at Walker during a delayed penalty where the puck took forever to come back down into their goal on an errant pass.
        4. Willie's slap-shot, 'nough said.
        5. Being at the North Dakota home games at Cheel in October, 1999 with my three sons, sitting front row and having Eric Cole come over and tap the glass and wave at my little boys.
        6. Albany NCAA's where we lost 3-1 to CC, but the fans gave a whole lotta love to Dan Murphy after the game (his final for CU), who stood on his head keeping the game close.
        7. Nick Dodge playing with a wooden stick and liking it.
        8. Clarkson dominating RIT in RIT's new arena opening weekend and skating away with a nice victory (& RIT's first loss at the Gene Polossini Arena).
        9. Defenseman slap shots from Dave Fretz, Brian Mueller, Willie Mitchel and Sam Labrecque.
        10. 38 goals in a single season by a Clarkson player (& 74 points). Yes, it can be done...just ask Todd White how to do it.
        #5) Drove up from Merryland to see that series and my first games at Cheel.
        #6) Was also at that game. Talked to Dan after the game. Nice kid.
        #9) Add Bill Blackwood
        Vicb

Fan of the 2014 , 2017 & 2018 NC$$ Women's Div I Hockey National Champions http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif
        If Union can do it, why can't CCT http://letsgotech.com/roundtable/cor...om/lgtanim.gif

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post

I was there at that 1973 game. We scored a goal that I think went into the next and back out so fast that the referee's said no goal That was when the bottles were thrown on the ice. Really a crazy game and a drunken crowd.

1975 listened to Con Elliott describe that debacle in my frat house. A real bummer.
          A bunch of us (all sophomores) made the drive to Harvard for that one.

We got our clocks cleaned.
          CCT '77 & '78

Comment

I didn't start following Clarkson hockey until my freshman year in 2013–14, so I have fewer instances to draw on.
            My fondest memory was the
            2017 National Championship win over Wisconsin.

It was the last game I played at as a senior in the pep band.
            As I was a "red-shirt" in the pep band (I didn't join until my sophomore year) I hadn't gone to the 2014 national championship. The team had gone out in the quarterfinals in 2015 and then, in 2016, I was studying abroad and missed the Frozen Four. Since 2016–17 was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the team, I believed I might never get to go to a Frozen Four. After a 2
            –3–1 start, though, that team never looked back and we found ourselves Frozen Four bound.

People may remember from Mercer's postgame interview that the bus took an 18-hour bus ride to get to St. Charles, MO. What she did not know and what I don't believe has been widely publicized was that that trip almost didn't happen. The week before, a blizzard hit upstate New York and our normal bus company had to cancel on us. As everyone was messed up by the blizzard, we were unable to find a bus. We thought we might not have a bus until Tony Collins and an alum came through for us the Thursday morning before the Frozen Four (we left at midnight that night).

Fast-forward 18-hours of 16 people on a 55-person luxury bus, and we arrived in St. Charles. The ice was awful that night (the puck kept getting stuck), and we had trouble communicating with the arena about when we allowed to play, but we eventually sorted it out as Clarkson beat Minnesota 4–3 in a rematch of the 2014 National Championship. After a day off on Saturday, I remember just how surreal it felt to be watching the national championship game in person on Sunday (where the ice was a little less sticky). Clarkson withstood a Wisconsin barrage of 41 shots with a timely PP goal (and a goal disallowed for Wisconsin on an interference call), before scoring two against a pressing Badger team in the last two minutes. I distinctly remember spending most of the game thinking there was no way Clarkson could keep Wisconsin off the board for the whole game until a moment in the third period where Tiley stopped a Badger alone in the slot, after which, I began to believe. I even made a brief appearance on national television after Clarkson's second goal.

The game also featured the only storming of the ice that I have ever seen. After the game we were told to go down to the Zamboni doors to get a better view of what was going on during the celebration. We had asked the arena staff if we could go out on the ice. A staff person didn't think so, but had gone to check when the team noticed us and beckoned us to join them. To this day I have a picture on my wall of band out on the ice with the team. Nothing I have ever done has been quite like that trip.
            Last edited by Hydra88; 03-24-2020, 08:14 PM.

Comment

My fondest memory was the Clarkson - Cornell home game in the 1970/71 season. Cornell had come off the 1970 national championship (29-0 record) win over Tech 6-4. I left wrestling practice early to make sure to get a spot at the game (standing). It was somewhere below zero without heat in Walker Arena. We won the game with 42 seconds left in OT!

Comment

Working...
              X