Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bears at Tigers rubber game

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Confused!

    Chuck and/or Earl:

    Pardon my ignorance -- I'm a computer programmer, not an English major -- but what the heck is a rubber game (or rubber match)?
    Clarkson '00 (MIS) * WCKN * letsgotech.com

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by scottcomstock View Post
      Chuck and/or Earl:

      Pardon my ignorance -- I'm a computer programmer, not an English major -- but what the heck is a rubber game (or rubber match)?
      Scott - rubber game is the 3rd game in a best 2 out of 3 match. Comes from bridge when both sides are vulnerable (having won one game each) and the 3rd game wins the rubber. Don't tell me you spent 4 years at Clarkson and never played bridge...... My partner and I used to make beer money playing bridge against the incoming Frosh every year, until they got wise after the first few weeks.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Bill View Post
        Scott - rubber game is the 3rd game in a best 2 out of 3 match. Comes from bridge when both sides are vulnerable (having won one game each) and the 3rd game wins the rubber. Don't tell me you spent 4 years at Clarkson and never played bridge...... My partner and I used to make beer money playing bridge against the incoming Frosh every year, until they got wise after the first few weeks.
        Nope, never played bridge (don't know how) at Clarkson or anywhere else. I don't remember ever being invited to a bridge game or heard of bridge games taking place during my Clarkson years ('96-'00)
        Clarkson '00 (MIS) * WCKN * letsgotech.com

        Comment


        • #19
          While never having heard about any bridge played at CCT, I did come across this as an explaination:

          RUBBER MATCH - "A 'rubber match' or 'rubber game' or simply 'rubber' in any sport means a deciding contest between two tied opponents. The term dates back to the late 16th century but no one seems certain of its etymology or in what sport it originated. The expression was not used in card games until the mid 18th century and the earliest recorded use of it appears to be a 1599 reference, cited in the 'Oxford English Dictionary,' to the game of bowls. The word 'rubber' in the term seems to derive from a word of unknown origin, not the resilient substance called 'rubber' or the verb 'to rub.'" From "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997).

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by LGTecher View Post
            RUBBER MATCH - "A 'rubber match' or 'rubber game' or simply 'rubber' in any sport means a deciding contest between two tied opponents.
            This how I've heard it used and have used it myself for years, but never really thought about where it came from so any explaination given here is plausable to me.

            Comment


            • #21
              Anybody who missed hearing the Brown broadcast of that game missed a thouroughly entertaining time. These two guys sounded like an SNL sketch parodying a radio call of a hockey game. It's beyond explaination. Unfortunatley the color guy (who was the most outrageous) is graduating this year and will not be doing anymore broadcasts. He informed us of this during his tear filled sign off, after, of course telling us that the Princeton hockey program was a disgraceful organization filled with low class idiots!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by ChuckNajimy View Post
                Anybody who missed hearing the Brown broadcast of that game missed a thouroughly entertaining time. These two guys sounded like an SNL sketch parodying a radio call of a hockey game. It's beyond explaination. Unfortunatley the color guy (who was the most outrageous) is graduating this year and will not be doing anymore broadcasts. He informed us of this during his tear filled sign off, after, of course telling us that the Princeton hockey program was a disgraceful organization filled with low class idiots!
                "Jane, you ignorant Sluzer!"

                Comment


                • #23
                  OK, I found this guy posts on USCHO...

                  http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?...0&postcount=89

                  now try to imaging him yelling that over the radio with his voice cracking he's so worked up

                  edit:
                  Some of us mentioned it would be entertaining to listen to him do a Clarkson game... well it seems maybe he saves is best(worst?) for Princeton:
                  http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=78
                  Last edited by ChuckNajimy; 03-05-2007, 09:21 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    If his goal was to be biased and one-sided, he accomplished it with incredible skill. If his goal was to whine and cry, once again, full marks for execution. I had to turn off the radio at the end as he cried and just seemed to keep extending his time on the air, completely unable to let go. Leaving something behind that you love so much is difficult, but...
                    2006 Badger Showdown Champions
                    Regular Season Champions: '01, '99, '97, '95, '91, '82, '81, '77, '66
                    League Tournament Champions: '07, '99, '93, '91, '66
                    NCAAs: '07, '99, '98, '97, '96, '95, '93, '92, '91, '90, '84, '82, '81, '70, '66, '63, '62, '58, '57
                    NCAA 3rd Place Finish: '91, '63. '57
                    NCAA 2nd Place Finish: '70, '66, '62
                    NCAA Champions: '08

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X