Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice for Katy Hawelka

All,

As many of you probably know, a Clarkson student, Katy Hawelka, was brutally raped and murdered outside Walker Arena in the early morning of 29 August 1986. Brian McCarthy, a Madrid man on probation from the state of Virginia, was convicted of the crime in September 1987 and sentenced to a term of 23 years to life.

Mr. McCarthy's first parole hearing has been scheduled for 13 April 2009, and along with Ms. Hawelka's family, President Collins on behalf of the Clarkson community has urged the New York State Board of Parole to deny parole to Mr. McCarthy.

The Hawelka family has set up a website http://www.4katy.blogspot.com/ with information and resources, including an electronic petition, links to news stories, and contact information for the parole board.

This evening, I will be writing a letter urging denial of parole, and would urge you to do the same. Ordinarily I'm all for rehabilitation and allowing inmates to work their way back into their communities, but after reviewing some of the evidence -- which includes 18 arrests prior to 1987 and 28 prison disciplinary violations since his incarceration -- I'm forced to agree with President Collins' assertion that Mr. McCarthy has not proven himself worthy of the privilege.

I appreciate Goldie Knight's bringing this issue to my attention.

-Scott
    Clarkson '00 (MIS) * WCKN * letsgotech.com

I was there and remember it like it was yesterday. Signed.
    2013 Pick to Click Champion

Comment

I had just graduated that spring. I remember hearing about it from afar, and I remember the disbelief that went with it. I don't know how many times I had walked back from downtown late at night using that same path.

Signed.

Comment

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:15 AM

Scott....many thanks for your posting....you did a fine job.

We are sending out notification of this website to as many Clarkson friends as possible. Because our home is only 17 miles from the University, we remember the tragedy from all the media information provided when Katy's death occurred.

Comment

PAROLE DENIED

According to both the websites of the family and the NY Division of Parole, Brian McCarthy has been denied parole.

Apparently, the parole interview had been moved up two weeks to late March and the decision rendered earlier than expected. (see http://www.newswatch50.com/mostpopul...4eyUZ80pQ.cspx)

Comment

Thanks for the update, Scott. The good news is appreciated.

Comment

The good news is that he has been denied parole. The sad part is that he'll be up again for it in 2011. Is this poor family going to have to relive this nightmare every two years for the rest of their lives? Is that justice?
              Let's Go Tech!

Comment

According to the Hawelka family's website, Mr. McCarthy is again up for parole on Saturday, 2 April 2011. Does anyone plan on writing to the parole board again?

Comment

Originally posted by scottcomstock View Post
                  According to the Hawelka family's website, Mr. McCarthy is again up for parole on Saturday, 2 April 2011. Does anyone plan on writing to the parole board again?
                  I was in the administration at the time... I'll be glad to write again, but I seriously doubt he'll get parole, at least for another couple of decades, -- *maybe* after 50 years in Attica... he'd be about 75, if he doesn't expire first.

Comment

DENIED!

According to the family's website, Brian McCarthy was again denied parole. Next appearance is in 24 months.

Comment

DENIED AGAIN!

Even though I'm horridly late in posting this, McCarthy was again denied parole on 22 April 2013. His next appearance is in April 2015.

Comment

April 2015 has come and gone...does anyone know if McCarthy was denied parole again?

Comment

DENIED AGAIN!

Well, it looks like McCarthy was denied parole again. Next eligibility date is April 2017, per NYS DOCCS' website.

Comment

I just took a look at DOCCS' website and it seems Brian McCarthy was denied parole in both April 2017 and April 2019. Next parole date is April 2021.

Comment

Working...
                            X